Philly anyone??? (Read 1029 times)

uncontrollable

Awesome! You'll do great! Just let the magic of the city & the crowds ,combined with your training, propel you swiftly through the course!!!

peace

uncontrollable

This time next week I will be finishing dinner heading to hotel to organize my outfit, accessories, and get my head right ... I will focus on getting some good sleep during the coming week as the night before the gun goes off is never quality Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's

peace

Smilee

I am doing the Half.  Aiming for sub 90 mins but not sure my training has me there yet.  Did last long run today(not that long).  Rest of the week is one easier speed workout and easy taper runs.  Feeling good!!

uncontrollable

Nice!  Just go for it - I have a feeling the weather is going to be just right!

peace

Smilee

Ok....how did everyone do?  I came in at 1:31:20 for the half.  I was shooting for 1:30:00.  I missed a bit but overall I am ok with the effort considering its my first Half Marathon where I was racing.

One think that was frustrating is that I relied on my Garmin quite a bit to make sure I was on track to average out at 6:52 miles.  In the end I landed at 6:52 exactly which is roughly what i needed to hit goal.  Unfortunately, the gps watch has me at 13.32 miles vs 13.1 so my official race pace is 6:58 avg miles.  What do you think happened?  Is the watch wrong?  Is the course long?  Am I meandering on the course?  I dont know but it was the exact difference between hitting my goal or not.  I just need to figure this out so that I dont fall into that trap again.

Ok....how did everyone do?  I came in at 1:31:20 for the half.  I was shooting for 1:30:00.  I missed a bit but overall I am ok with the effort considering its my first Half Marathon where I was racing.

One think that was frustrating is that I relied on my Garmin quite a bit to make sure I was on track to average out at 6:52 miles.  In the end I landed at 6:52 exactly which is roughly what i needed to hit goal.  Unfortunately, the gps watch has me at 13.32 miles vs 13.1 so my official race pace is 6:58 avg miles.  What do you think happened?  Is the watch wrong?  Is the course long?  Am I meandering on the course?  I dont know but it was the exact difference between hitting my goal or not.  I just need to figure this out so that I dont fall into that trap again.

Hey, there. Great job.

I just looked at my wrist computer, which I took along for the ride. It had me running 13.36 miles at a 6:44 pace. I don't think that means the course was long.  You and I just took a few of the turns a bit wide. I ran a half marathon a few weeks ago (1:30:11). My Garmin told me that I ran a 6:49 pace.

How not to fall into that trap?  Don't rely on that thing.  I think Mikey put it best: "Anytime you deal with outer space things get a bit dicey."

And 1:31 is a super time for a first; don't beat yourself up. 

I am sorry I missed everyone; hopefully we'll be a bit more organized next time. 

Did anyone get cheese steaks?  My friend and I skipped the usual choices -- Pats and Geno's -- and went to Jim's.  Very good. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I dont know but it was the exact difference between hitting my goal or not.  I just need to figure this out so that I dont fall into that trap again.

That bites.  You can include a fudge factor to account for the slight extra distance you'll run v. the Shortest Possible Route.  Or you can ignore the Garmin and just run by feel, going as hard as you think you can go and letting the timing chip fall where it may.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

uncontrollable

So, did not accomplish what I set out to do.  Went through all the typical emotions that go along with that.  Of course, now that the dust has settled ... I am just plain annoyed with myself.  No excuses here, been doing this long enough to know when & why it started to unravel.  Comes down to the basics: STICK TO THE PLAN, HTFU, and FOCUS.  Weather was great, slept well, ate well, no GI issues, body in good shape ... SUCKS when the culprit was from the neck up.

What was my time?  NOT THE TIME I TRAINED FOR ... so what the hell does it matter!  

I better re-focus right now or it's going to be a long ass Winter.

Ciao 

peace

TRIing to beat the heat!

Hi all!

Looks like there were some great experiences out there on Sunday... and some not-so-great ones.  Big congratulations to EVERYONE!

Well, my first marathon is officially in the books and I couldn't be happier.  I suppose it went about as well as any first marathon could go.  I ran near even splits (negative splits if you go by my own GPS, which measured "my" course at 26.57 miles) and I came in well under my goal.  My hope was just to run sub-4 for my first time around (3:59:59 would have done), but I ended up going 3:53:09, which is even faster than my "super secret" goal of 3:55.  Hence, I'm beyond thrilled.

I did have some fueling issues around mile 18 (started to feel out of touch and a bit loopy), so I made a decision to switch to the Gatorade offered on the course (which totally saved my butt... I should write G-Ade a nice letter).  By mile 20, I had completely perked up and actually ended up running my fastest back-to-back 4 miles of the race between miles 22 and 25.  I also dealt with some achilles and other associated ankle pain beginning around mile 8.  Being that I am from flat South Florida and rely totally on bridges for any sort of hill training, my ligaments were not ready for the combination of uphills + downhills + the associated steep camber of some of those early sections.  I took to running on the double yellow line as much as I could during the back half b/c my body just couldn't take running "lopsided" anymore.

I'm already looking towards the future.  I had a great training & racing experience and look forward to putting in more time & training.   BQ is going to a be 2012 goal, no doubt!  Looking forward to the challenge.

Again, BIG CONGRATS to everyone!

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

uncontrollable

Great job!

peace