Springfield MO Run for the Ranch RR (Read 359 times)

Run for the Ranch Half Marathon, Springfield, MO, December 30, 2007: Impressions of the race: It was a fun, low key, hometown type event, while still being USATF certified. In my limited experience, I thought the Charles Harris 10k was about as small-town family -run as certified races get, with "only" 1000-ish runners. But this one had a "record" 393 runners. While lots of runners didn't mind the multiple laps arrangement, I have to say that I didn't like it. There were no mile markers along the way, since all four distances were running simultaneously, and each lap was 3.1 miles through a quiet neighborhood around a city park. While knowing exactly what comes next, and breaking the race down into pieces is nice, I think I prefer counting off the miles, and each being unique. Factor in however, that my last half marathon I was floating on a cloud of exhilaration contributed to by the size of the crowd & audience, and out performing my expectations. And selective memory, I'm sure. Also a detraction was the starting partial-lap (run to the first cone and back) and the fact that the lap start-finish line was a single cone U-turn (unexpectedly), not a run-through. But it was still fun and a PR. I went out way to fast, posting a sub 8:00 first mile (9:00 being my goal pace), partially due to the fact that the 5k and 10k were starting simultaneously. The second lap I felt like crap, winded and my legs felt funny. The second and third laps I was in the groove, and the 4th I tried my best to crank it up a notch and make up for my bad first lap. All along I was running at my goal pace, the opening mile providing enough buffer. I chose to wear my hydration belt, I hate water stops. It worked fine for me at the Atlanta HM, and it did here too. But by the last couple of miles I felt like it was a burden. May have to rethink that. News story here. Picture gallery included, but I am not in it.