Question re. Making University Track Team (Read 358 times)

Can someone please tell me how fast my son (university freshmen this coming fall) would need to run the 3200m and 1600m to make a university track team (with ~13,000 students)?
      Depends completely on the school. Some schools you're going to be sub 4:30 to even look at you, others will take anyone willing to train on the team. Most schools towards the first category though, have a training group of athletes who aren't competing varsity but train with the team. Also, most areas compete in XC in the fall and track in the winter/spring.
      Mr R

Just go to their website and check results from their meets. There are plenty of D1 schools that will take anyone, but every school has its own standards, with varying levels of flexibility. The Oregons and Stanfords are mostly interested in 9 minute two milers.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

rockintrax

Like they are saying - every school has their own standards. DI (division one schools - these are the schools that give best scholarships for athletes) tend to have higher set standards, DII (division 2 schools also give athletic scholarships) however they tend not to have as high requirements as the DI schools. I'm saying this in general - as I know some DII schools which have better, strong programs than some DI schools. If you go to a DIII school (no athletic scholarships) usually almost anyone that wants to run can run. Though there ares some DIII schools are stronger than DII schools. It's depends on what college you are looking at and their own requirements. Additionally larger schools that may have required times may also have running/track clubs that coordinate with other larger colleges/universities in the area.
          Steph