2011 Goal of Sub 20 5k (Read 4853 times)

I have run sub 20 twice in 2008 (19:35 and 19:50.)

Then in 2009 I narrowly missed running a 20:06.

Last year I was pretty much a non runner with my fastest training runs in the low 22s.

Now I want to try to break the 20 monster again!

I know it will be tough but I know it is a matter of will... I will turn 38 years old in February but I think I can still train hard enough to break the barrier again.

I will have to get my training log up. I am at 40.5 miles for the year currently.

I ran two time trials in 23:33 and 23:23 respectively this month. The 23:23 was yesterday on the treadmill and the entire run was 8 MPH. I probably could have tested 23 minutes but my treadmill has been acting up so I was afraid to change the speed. Besides now is the time of year to gain mileage not speed.

I felt really good towards the end of yesterdays run (I continued on past the 5k mark and  ran 4 miles in 29:59). I also want to run a half marathon in September and break my time of 1:38:04 set in Sept. 2009 (a 7:29 pace). I believe I can go sub 23 next week, probably sub 22 by mid February and sub 21 by the end of March. I am in no hurry to gain speed. I know for me racing season doesn't start until April. I would like to be sub 21 by race season. That brings me within reach and will help me train harder. Looking to break 20 by late July.

It is my goal too, to break a 20 minute 5k.  I ran my first 5k in August of last year, and did it in just under 29 minutes.  By October I ran one in 23:45.  So, I am still a ways away, but hope to be able to do it by the end of the year.  I did do a training run in the mid 22 minute mark.

I will turn 38 years old in February but I think I can still train hard enough to break the barrier again.

I know I’m still 3 years and a couple thousand miles away from 38, so what do I know, but don’t put yourself on the discount rack too soon. Still many, many prime running years ahead of you.

Good luck in your training, sounds like good smart commitment will put 20 in the rearview no problem.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Ahh, what the hell.  Sub 20 has been a stretch goal for me for quite some time.  Last year I ran a couple 5k's under 22, my PR is 21:44.  I haven't been putting in many miles for the last few months because I've been skipping runs to play hockey and cutting runs in half to give me time to lift weights.  My goal is to PR in the spring, and go for it in the fall.  I typically don't have very fast races in me when it's hot and humid, so I think I'll use summer to ramp up some mileage. 

I'm hoping that the weight lifting that I've been doing will make me stronger on the hills.  I've been running with a group now for a few years, and I'm thinking about switching to a new group to get some new workouts in.  Hopefully all these changes will mean good things for my running. 

xhristopher

I know I’m still 3 years and a couple thousand miles away from 38, so what do I know, but don’t put yourself on the discount rack too soon. Still many, many prime running years ahead of you.

Good luck in your training, sounds like good smart commitment will put 20 in the rearview no problem.

He's right. Throw away any concerns about age. I'm the same age as you and can't discern any difference from when I was a teen. If anything, running is probably easier now. I guess that would be offset by the fact I'm a little heavier and drink more beer, which I could address if I really wanted to...

Sub-20 is on my list for this year.  I ran 20:16 in December, but I'm kind of concerned that the course was a tad short.  (Very small, very local, very uncertified event.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Ahh, what the hell.  Sub 20 has been a stretch goal for me for quite some time.  Last year I ran a couple 5k's under 22, my PR is 21:44.  I haven't been putting in many miles for the last few months because I've been skipping runs to play hockey and cutting runs in half to give me time to lift weights.  My goal is to PR in the spring, and go for it in the fall.  I typically don't have very fast races in me when it's hot and humid, so I think I'll use summer to ramp up some mileage. 

I'm hoping that the weight lifting that I've been doing will make me stronger on the hills.  I've been running with a group now for a few years, and I'm thinking about switching to a new group to get some new workouts in.  Hopefully all these changes will mean good things for my running. 

I'm no expert, and lifting weights very well may (or may not) make you stronger on the hills, but the one guaranteed way to make you stronger on the hills is to run on the hills.

I read on here somewhere one time from some one that the thing that helps most with running is running. I should pay more attention to that myself.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I'm in. Here are my stats:

I will be 45 in May. I ran a few sub 20 minute 5K's when I was in high school Cross County. That was almost 30 years ago, so I guess it doesn't count. I started my adult running life almost 10 years ago, April 2001. My last 5K was a couple weeks ago, January 1, 2011: 22:23. I only ran one 5K in 2010: July 17 22:46. Between 2003 and 2009 I ran eight 5K's between 20:04 and 20:29. If I do not go out too fast, I know I can run sub 20 minutes on one of those courses.

Good running all. I look forward to participating in this thread.

protoplasm72

I didn't make it last year so I guess I'm in for 2011.  My last 5k was 20:22 but it will be a number of months before I run another 5k.  I have a pretty good feeling that I could break 20 now if I ran a 5k today but I'm still going to stick with working on increasing my mileage.  My big goal for 2011 is to set PR's at all the common distances.  My current 5k PR is 19:50 from 2008 so I'll be gunning for that this spring.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Prince of Fatness

I'm the one that started the 2010 thread so I definitely have an interest.  I squeaked in last year at 19:59 and then went down with an injury.  I ended up taking 3 months completely off and am trying to get my base back now.  If I can string together some 200+ months I think that I can give this a go in the fall.  I am hoping to get my volume up to that level by April.

Not at it at all. 

SMART Approach

I will be in here also along with 1:30 half goal thread. I like my chances here. I have broke 20 min before but it has been 2007. Last year I did a 20:08 late in year. I run one Valentine's weekend but no chance then with winter weight, cold, snow.....but it does let me see where I am at compared to other years.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

MrH

I ran 21:23 at Halloween 2010 in my first 5k at the grand old age of 47. With some more miles and weight loss I hope to get to sub-20 this year too.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

RootieKazootie

Great to hear that you're back in the game MichiganFlyer! Smile Of all the running posts/blogs i've read, your sub 20 5k goal was by far my favourite. I only found them last Autumn, so i done a lot of reading, going back to 2007 accross different sites. I found it quite inspirational, and picked up a lot of tips along the way, from yourself and the knowledgeable people offering you advice. I hope you can get back in 2008 shape and go 19.xx again.

I'm also turning 38 in February, but i'm not pensioning myself off yet. I started running last year (apart from 1 month aged 18) so i'm improving all the time. Feels great to be in better shape that i was at 18.

Good luck and health to everyone trying to go sub 20 in 2011.

Great to hear that you're back in the game MichiganFlyer! Smile Of all the running posts/blogs i've read, your sub 20 5k goal was by far my favourite. I only found them last Autumn, so i done a lot of reading, going back to 2007 accross different sites. I found it quite inspirational, and picked up a lot of tips along the way, from yourself and the knowledgeable people offering you advice. I hope you can get back in 2008 shape and go 19.xx again.

I'm also turning 38 in February, but i'm not pensioning myself off yet. I started running last year (apart from 1 month aged 18) so i'm improving all the time. Feels great to be in better shape that i was at 18.

Good luck and health to everyone trying to go sub 20 in 2011.

I am glad you liked my posts! I was obsessed with breaking 20 minutes for about a 4 year period. I trained harder and harder but the times only fell slowly. Then in May 2008 I ran a 20:03 and it felt like a slap in the face to be so close. In June 2008 I was camping and ran some very steep hills on the Lake Michigan coastline. These were like 5 mile runs with constant ups and downs. I realized then I felt spent when nearing the top of the hills... but once I caught my breath over the crest I still had a burst of energy left. I realized that just because I was nearing my red zone I was in good enough shape to overcome it. It was probably a week later that I banged out my 19:35. I did this by pacing behind a guy who was constantly running 19:50 or so (I passed him after a mile and blew him away by 15 seconds that day!). Two months later with much less training (about 25 mpw) on a trail course I was determined to break 20 again and ran my 19:50. Now I believe it will be just as tough to break 20 as it was in 2008.

To break 20 I had to run at a pace that I felt was too fast for my ability. Because I was too conservative and was afraid of blowing up before the finish. So in my experience I had to just gun it in the 1st mile and trust that my fitness would get me to the finish. In gunning it I mean run the 1st mile in the 6:15 range  instead of 6:26. Nothing crazy but it was in the unknown zone for me.

SMART Approach

Michigan,

It will take you some time to build some base back up. Miles are cumulative as you know. What you did not do in 2010 will hurt you in 2011. Stay healthy and build it up and then focus more on speed work with occasional races early on. Regular time trials (and anaerobic overload) may not be great during base building. Build some miles up. Just some thoughts!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com