2011 Goal of Sub 20 5k (Read 4853 times)

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

Thanks for the advice.  I decided to cut my pace for my non- interval/tempo runs.  Pain decreased and I increased stretching.

Ran a 19:58.5 today in swampy humidity!  I did need to seek the EMS tent...felt a bit light headed and nauseous but that passed.  This is now the best time I've run since high school.  Very excited.  Looking to improve on that time in my next race in less than 2 weeks and start to increase mileage w/o increasing my training pace.

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

First race in over a year and a half coming up in just under 3 weeks! Man am I pumped, gonna feel great (sorta Joking) to jump in and get the competetive juices flowing again. Just hoping to continue consistent training leading up to the race and hopefully put myself around the 155 mark weight wise.

Since its mid summer and such no real plans for a taper or anything but what is a safe amount of time to leave between my last harder effort and the actual race?

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

I think part of the answer to how close to a race you do your last hard workout is dependent upon conditioning.  But for me, as a general rule, I wouldn't do a hard workout less than 3 days before race day.  For me, prior to my race yesterday, I did mile repeats the previous Saturday (8 days before) to get a hard interval workout in and try to nail down my pace since I haven't been racing much.  I tapered hard last week because I was having some Achilles tendonitis.  It worked.  I nailed my goal finish time w/in 1/2 second!

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

protoplasm72

Since its mid summer and such no real plans for a taper or anything but what is a safe amount of time to leave between my last harder effort and the actual race?

A true hard effort I would not do at all in the week leading up to a race.  Maybe just a race pace mile towards the end of a 5-6 mile easy run 2-3 days before the race.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I am still happy with my 2011 training, but do not feel confident I will be able to run sub 20 minutes in a 5K.

I continue to lose weight, consistently weighing less than 165 pounds. That in itself is well worth the work the "sub minute 5K goal" puts me through.

Here are my June workouts:

CV intervals: each 5 X 1K had 60 second recovery followed by 4 X 40 second striders, unless noted: 

-June  8: 5 X 1K average 4:17
            -June 15: 3 X 1K average 4:11 with two minute recovery not 1 minute in week I did a 5K Race. 5K Race time - 21:38; 6:59 pace - here is report.

-June 22: 5 X 1K average 4:15
            -July  1: 5 X 1K average 4:18. Only did 2 X 40 second striders. This was day after I got over a head cold that caused me to miss one day of work, and two days of running.

Tempo runs: the first two weeks of June I ran the last three miles of a 10 mile Sunday run at tempo heart rate. Paces were 7:34 and then 7:32. I raced on a Saturday of the second week, so the Sunday 10 miler of the third week was all at endurance heart rate. Week four I ran the last four miles of the 10 mile Sunday run at tempo heart rate. The pace was a dissappoining 7:47. The first and the last miles were 7:32 and 7:36. The second and third miles were 7:47 and 8:20. I blame hills, and that bad head cold that arrived a few days later.

I am cutting back this week - not running the hard 1k's, the tempo pace run, or the 10 miler.

Here is what I plan to starting this Sunday:

-run every day.
            -a Sunday "tempo-combo" workout: 1 warmup mile, 5 tempo miles, then 4 x 30 seconds hill sprints, then 1 cool down mile with 2 building to 4 X 20 second sprints with 40 second recovery
            -week 1 and 2 mid week cv workout with last 1K in 4 minutes, then 4 X 40 second sprints with 60 second recovery, then a slow jog
            -a 5K race 14 days before goal 5K race. It will replace the Sunday "tempo-combo" workout, but will do the same number of miles as if I did the tempo-combo. this will be the last longish mileage day.
            - 5 days before race: 3 x 1k @ CV pace  with 2 minute recovery (not 1 minute) then 3 x 200m @ 44 seconds with 400m recovery (not 200m)
            - 2 days before race: 3 x 200m @ 44 seconds with 400m recovery during 4-5 mile run
            - 1 day before 4-5 easy miles
            - goal 5K road race where I will set out at 6:26 pace and see what happens: August 6.

Good running all!

I have been very happy with my 2011 fitness/training.

My average weight in January was 176 pounds. After today's run, the average weight for May has been 166 pounds.

Here have been the progression of my workouts. Each 5 X 1K had 90 second recoveries followed by 4 X 40 second striders.

March 27: 5 X1K average 4:37

April 3: 5 X1K average 4:34

April 9: 5K Race 22:10 7:09 pace

April 17: 5 X1K average 4:27

April 24: cut back - no intervals

May 1: 5 X1K average 4:21

May 7: 3 mile race 21:00 7:00 pace

May 15: 5 X1K average 4:17

May 22 (today): 5 X1K average 4:07. Last one was 3:59.

The average pace of the kilometers have been improving, but the effort level I think has been the same. Except for today. I pushed harder today than previous workouts. I felt good.

I have also been doing a four mile marathon paced effort a week. All other runs have been slow, easy, and fun. Not that the fast stuff hasn't been enjoyable.

______

Time to change things up. I have been doing the 5X1K then 4 X 40 second striders at the start of my Sunday 10 mile run. I am going to do them later in the week in a shorter run. During my ten mile Sunday run, I am gong to finish with tempo pace miles. Probably start with two or three, and build to four (maybe five.)

Good running all.

Hey all,

Been around this thread(s) for a while.  I just hit age 40 and I'm still plugging away at the sub-20 goal.

Just ran a race Saturday and pulled off a 20:16.   Pretty humid, but the course was pretty flat.  Mile splits (Garmin) were about 6:19, 6:23 and 6:51  (yes the 3rd mile was awful, but I gave it all I had.  Heart rate was between 191-194 the whole 3rd mile).  I wanted to go out hard and give myself a chance.   

Anyway, this is the best I've run in July down here in S. Carolina.  Last year at this race I ran 20:38.  So that bodes well for the cool weather months.

What's working for me:  I ran 20:13 in December with little or no speedwork last fall (and around 20 mi per week).  After a slow start in Jan/Feb, I took some old advice (JimR?) from the older thread.  I added an extra run each week including an interval workout (800m with 400m rest, building up to 7 of them).  I started this in late April.  This pushed my typical miles from 20-22ish to 25-27ish. (per week). 5-6 days running instead of 4-5.

I going to take a bit of break and spool back up when the weather cools down.  The humidity makes it tough for me to run consecutive days in summer, unless I take it real easy.   I'll run another 5k in August for fun, but the weather and the course will not be as friendly. 

Good luck this summer everyone...I'll continue to lurk and be rooting for my fellow sub-20 goal setters!

Steve

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

jeffdonahue

Hey all,

Just ran a race Saturday and pulled off a 20:16.   Pretty humid, but the course was pretty flat.  Mile splits (Garmin) were about 6:19, 6:23 and 6:51  (yes the 3rd mile was awful, but I gave it all I had.  Heart rate was between 191-194 the whole 3rd mile).  I wanted to go out hard and give myself a chance.   

Nice job!!  Get rid of the humidity and you could bust that 20 wide open.

First 5K for the summer coming up here in two weeks on the 16th. Pretty pumped, although I don't know for sure sub-20 may be in sight. Raced a 4M on 4th of July, finishing in 27:05, the first two miles were "soft" at maybe a brisk tempo effort, with the last two around race effort (hey, its the first time I have ever negative split a race!).

While that says something, I'm not exactly sure what. On the one hand it was a net downhill race (200' elevation loss over 4M), on the other it was a dirt/gravel trail and not pavement. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Nice job!!  Get rid of the humidity and you could bust that 20 wide open.

Thanks Jeff

L_Master,

Just FYI - my data point:  I ran an 8k (5 mile) race in mid June and averaged right at 7:00/mi.  I did intervals that same week, so I didn't do any "prep" for that race, considering it a hard tempo.  So, 3 weeks after that I ran 20:16 in the 5k.  Easy course, but it was humid and ~80 deg temp. 

I think you have a shot.

Good Luck!

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

protoplasm72

Just ran a 20:11 5k this morning.  I was at 12:43 at mile 2 and then dropped off.  If the temps were 20 degrees lower I think I would of done it.  I'll try again this fall.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I've squeaked under a couple of times (19.59 both times).  But I haven't run one for a while, and today I finally nailed it.  19.27 Big grin

L Train

Congrats Mandy - you are on a roll. 

And love the name "Loaded Hog 5K"

I've squeaked under a couple of times (19.59 both times).  But I haven't run one for a while, and today I finally nailed it.  19.27 Big grin

No squeaking there, congrats!

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Thanks both of you.  Not having to deal with the crazy temperatures you guys are having helps a lot. 

Actually Loaded Hog 5k is its old name - I just left it as that on my race log so I could see them all together (I've done quite a few over the years!)  The Loaded Hog was a chain of bars, and once upon a time there was a Loaded Hog 5k in pretty much every major city in NZ.  But slowly the Loaded Hogs have changed hands or disappeared (Wellington's one has become a fancy wine bar called "Foxglove" who don't like sweaty runners messing up their bar) but the 5ks have generally survived and just renamed themselves.

So now my local Wellington one is run from another local drinking establishment that is a lot more runner friendly - so much so they give us a free beer after each race :-)

Congrats Mandy.  That's a big improvement!