2011 Goal of Sub 20 5k (Read 4853 times)

JimR

The recall button on my watch isn't functioning and I've got a months worth of runs on it.  Somehow I've got to pop the back off without disconnecting the battery, and I'm pretty sure the battery simply sits in holder without any retaining clip so it's risky to do, then get the recall button to activate so I can pull all the runs off it.

Regardless, back to time trialing, I haven't raced since January 1, and almost no hard running.  22:22 for 5k today after a 30 minute out lap but I was fairly spent by 2 miles.  83 degrees and high bright sunshine, very light cross breeze.  I need to get my volume back to be able to handle sustained hard pacing.

Regardless, back to time trialing, I haven't raced since January 1, and almost no hard running.  22:22 for 5k today after a 30 minute out lap but I was fairly spent by 2 miles.  83 degrees and high bright sunshine, very light cross breeze.  I need to get my volume back to be able to handle sustained hard pacing.

83F is very warm.  It is really hard to race well in such warm weather.  A very good job in still running a pretty good time.

Thanks Jeff

L_Master,

Just FYI - my data point:  I ran an 8k (5 mile) race in mid June and averaged right at 7:00/mi.  I did intervals that same week, so I didn't do any "prep" for that race, considering it a hard tempo.  So, 3 weeks after that I ran 20:16 in the 5k.  Easy course, but it was humid and ~80 deg temp. 

I think you have a shot.

Good Luck!

Got it last weekend, and by a big margin with a 19:06!! Looks like the mileage + weight loss is paying massive dividends! Very excited to see what I'll be able to achieve this fall now that I'm starting actual workouts. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

JimR

83F is very warm.  It is really hard to race well in such warm weather.  A very good job in still running a pretty good time.

last year I could cover the section in 21ish, not too far off. I fixed my watch, thankfully. Dirty contacts,cleaned up with some very fine sandpaper without a problem.

Got it last weekend, and by a big margin with a 19:06!! Looks like the mileage + weight loss is paying massive dividends! Very excited to see what I'll be able to achieve this fall now that I'm starting actual workouts. 

Way to go!!!!  Lots of improvement still to be had for sure.

RootieKazootie

Congrats Mandy and L_Master.

L_Master wrote: Looks like the mileage + weight loss is paying massive dividends!

True. That's what worked for me.

Illness stopped me running for 3 months there. Just getting back on my feet with 100 easy

miles last month. Was surprised how much fitness i'd lost, but slowly clawing it back and

ready for some faster stuff.

protoplasm72

I just ran a 19:50 this morning Smile  My pacing was horrible thanks to this group of 3 girls in front of me that were running 6 minute miles, ha ha.  After the first mile in 6:05 I slowed to 6:34 in the second then picked it up and held on.  This is actually a tie of my previous PR but I'm still really happy.  Although I did step on the mat in 19:48 according to the race clock Joking  I also won my age group.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Good job Proto!

Been a while since I dropped by this thread.  Best chance for my 1st sub 20:00 is coming, Dec 10.  I hadn't been able to get huge miles, so that is a concern (as usual with meSad), but I have hit my long runs (just ran a HM on Oct 29, 1:43:56 without killing myself) more consistently.  Ran 20:16 on July 3 in much warmer conditions.  Now, gotta hit some speed workouts.

Good luck on those late Fall attempts everyone!

Steve

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Prince of Fatness

I'm the one that started the 2010 thread so I definitely have an interest.  I squeaked in last year at 19:59 and then went down with an injury.  I ended up taking 3 months completely off and am trying to get my base back now.  If I can string together some 200+ months I think that I can give this a go in the fall.  I am hoping to get my volume up to that level by April.

Progress has been slower than I had hoped, but I have been able to get some consistent mileage in.  I feel healthy enough now to give it a go, so I am racing a 5K on December 3.  I think that sub 22 is a realistic goal, and if I can achieve that hopefully it will give me some momentum to shoot for sub 20 in 2012.

Not at it at all. 

Runner for life

I've got my eyes set on going sub 20 this weekend, Saturday.  I'm a runner with muscular dystrophy and have been chaising this sub 20 record for some time now.  I really feel like I'll catch it this time.  I'm so pumped.  Been pushing out 35-40 mile weeks, 130 mile months.  So stoked!  Wish me luck! >=]

I've got my eyes set on going sub 20 this weekend, Saturday.  I'm a runner with muscular dystrophy and have been chaising this sub 20 record for some time now.  I really feel like I'll catch it this time.  I'm so pumped.  Been pushing out 35-40 mile weeks, 130 mile months.  So stoked!  Wish me luck! >=]

I most definitely am. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I most definitely am. 

+1

Good luck!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

Good luck Lancelot.

________

This year my fastest 5K was 21:16. I think age is catching up with me. I have been running consistent miles for 10 years, but have also aged consistently over that time. A couple years ago my 5K's were one minute faster with the same mileage and quality workouts.

To make things worse, in the middle of September, something happened to my left knee. Towards the end of a run I suddenly felt pain/discomfort under the knee cap. I had my family doctor look at it, had an x-ray done, and also got a second opinion from a sports medicine doctor. The conclusion: no tear or major damage.

The sport medicine doctor said there was no reason to stop running. He made these suggestions to strengthen the inside of the knee: wall squats where I hold for 10 seconds. Leg extensions where I hold for 10 seconds. One legged squats where I hold for 10 seconds. And do not sit with knees bent, and feet under chair. I find I do that a lot at my desk job.

I stopped running October 12, but have started up again this week. 

Good running all.

I'm in. Here are my stats:

I will be 45 in May. I ran a few sub 20 minute 5K's when I was in high school Cross County. That was almost 30 years ago, so I guess it doesn't count. I started my adult running life almost 10 years ago, April 2001. My last 5K was a couple weeks ago, January 1, 2011: 22:23. I only ran one 5K in 2010: July 17 22:46. Between 2003 and 2009 I ran eight 5K's between 20:04 and 20:29. If I do not go out too fast, I know I can run sub 20 minutes on one of those courses.

Good running all. I look forward to participating in this thread.

RootieKazootie

Good luck on Saturday Lancelot. Rooting for you.

Mainrun, great to hear you're healthy and back in the game. I enjoyed your posts from the old

goal threads. Don't write yourself off just yet gramps, you're only 45. Plenty of time to improve

before you're sub 6 (ft under). I'm sure you can go below 20 again with the right training. It might

'just' require more mileage, unless you were maxxed out before? Hope the knee holds up. All

the best.

Good luck to everyone in the upcoming races. Looking forward to some race reports (please).

Been in withdrawals since Michigan stopped racing. (hint: get your flats on Mich).

Chris UK

I think age is catching up with me.

Age will have an effect but never say you are too old.

5 years ago I couldn't run half a mile without stopping. Last month I ran 19:42 for a road 5k on an undulating course. I will be 61 next month.

Not a lot of real speed work involved but now that I have served my 5 year apprenticeship the miles are beginning to stack in my favour. I just need to stay injury free and I'm pretty sure I can improve further.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM