2011 Goal of Sub 20 5k (Read 4853 times)

Age will have an effect but never say you are too old.

5 years ago I couldn't run half a mile without stopping. Last month I ran 19:42 for a road 5k on an undulating course. I will be 61 next month.

Not a lot of real speed work involved but now that I have served my 5 year apprenticeship the miles are beginning to stack in my favour. I just need to stay injury free and I'm pretty sure I can improve further.

Age grading tables are great for providing motivation... many youngsters might not be super-impressed by a 19:42 5k, but would not be able to produce a 81.4% age graded performance at any distance. For example an 81.4% 5k performance for a 25 year old man is 15:51.

I've got my eyes set on going sub 20 this weekend, Saturday.  I'm a runner with muscular dystrophy and have been chaising this sub 20 record for some time now.  I really feel like I'll catch it this time.  I'm so pumped.  Been pushing out 35-40 mile weeks, 130 mile months.  So stoked!  Wish me luck! >=]

Good luck. But by the way you hammered out some of those 6 milers last week, you should be money this weekend. Go get em.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

So is anyone planning to start one of these threads for 2012? I did 20:35 this morning, and plan to work back to sub 20:00 in 2012 --- probably after a March HM .

Chris UK

I did 20:35 this morning, and plan to work back to sub 20:00 in 2012 --- probably after a March HM .

Well done on that time. From your other thread I believe that was your first race in two years.

Might I suggest that instead of leaving your next 5k until after the half marathon, that you do at leasy one 5k before. 5ks are an excellent indicator of current form and will give you a good clue as to what pace you should run your half marathon at. In the meantime punch your 20:35 into the Mcmillan calculator and it will give you some approximate training paces for your current runs and workouts.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

So is anyone planning to start one of these threads for 2012? I did 20:35 this morning, and plan to work back to sub 20:00 in 2012 --- probably after a March HM .

Since I started the 2011 thread and did not post very often I think someone else should post the 2012 version.

Nice run - I consider anything in the 20Tight lippedx range to be ballpark range where I start to get excited about the possibility to break 20.

Right now I am in 22Tight lippedx range.

I ran 2.91 miles in 21:19 on the treadmill but the motor died on me as I need to get some oil on the belt.

I would have been around 22:38 by my estimation. Next stop sub 22.

Its been a poor year as I am at 540 miles where I usually crack 1,000.

Building up the base right now with 2 straight 20 mile weeks. Hoping to get to 35 or more weekly by Spring.

Chris, Thanks - that's a good suggestion. Will definitely do at least one more 5k, but as a fitness check and because I'm kind of getting the bug. Michigan, Hope you get health and back in thde groove.

Prince of Fatness

Progress has been slower than I had hoped, but I have been able to get some consistent mileage in.  I feel healthy enough now to give it a go, so I am racing a 5K on December 3.  I think that sub 22 is a realistic goal, and if I can achieve that hopefully it will give me some momentum to shoot for sub 20 in 2012.

21:26.  I can work with this.

Not at it at all. 

Sub-20 is on my list for this year.  I ran 20:16 in December, but I'm kind of concerned that the course was a tad short.  (Very small, very local, very uncertified event.)

Wow, I'd really lost track of this thread after injuring my Achilles in mid-February.  Back on the horse now, though.

Just posted a 20:36 on a long course.  According to my best "RA Measure Routes" skillz, it's 5.12km ... so I'd have been maybe about 20:10-ish.  Getting close.  I have one last chance three weeks from now, if I can jam it into the schedule.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

22:07 on the treadmill tonight.

I was hoping for sub 22 and had a great start feeling good after 2 days off.

Hit a mile in 7:06 and 2 miles in 14:10 and then I just was so overheated I just lost it and had to put the speed down to 8 mph for about 2/3 mile.

I think my best time this year was around 21:38.

The past 4 weeks I have run 20, 20, 18 and 10 miles so not much consistency.

But close to 22 minutes is good as my goal sub 20 will be in July 2012.

Looks like I will officially be re-joining the thread for 2012.

I just ran my target race in........20:05Angry.  An 8 second PR, but just short of the sub 20.  As usual, my mileage was well short of my goals (that darn life stuff keeps getting in the way) - so I'm not entirely disappointed with this time - it's a PR after all.    It hurt though - an all out effort and I did everything but puke.  Avg heart rates (bpm) via Garmin:  1st mile: 170, 2nd mile 180, 3rd mile: 184Black eye .  With all the good advice I've gotten here, I know what I got to do.

Going to train for a March half and try to force my weekly miles up in the 30's, then see what I can do for a late spring attempt.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my fellow sub-20 chasers!

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

So here's a question for ya: 

I just ran a 5k on New Year's Eve. I ran a 20:40. 

However, the race measured long - everyone's Garmin showed 3.25. Even the race website showed it was 3.22.

If that's the case, I ran a 6:24 pace - which translates to a 19:53 "true" 5k race. 
                        Would you count that as a sub-20? I'm torn. I want to - I feel like that's legit, but wondering your opinions.

Thanks! 

Prince of Fatness

Would you count that as a sub-20? I'm torn. I want to - I feel like that's legit, but wondering your opinions.

Thanks! 

I don't know.  I think what I would do is look back on the race knowing that I can get it done, then go find another 5K and make it official.

I'd want to get rid of the asterisk.

Nice race!

Not at it at all. 

I don't know.  I think what I would do is look back on the race knowing that I can get it done, then go find another 5K and make it official.

I'd want to get rid of the asterisk.

Nice race!

Same thing happened to me the next day, molsenrunner.  Shortest mine got measured was about 3.22, my Garmin called 3.25. 

Either way, nice running!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                            Emil Zatopek

I don't count my PRs to be faster just because the course was a bit long or the Garmin measured too much distance.  The watch will almost always measure long if you're not running the tangents, and I only consider official race times as PRs (unless I'm running on a measured track).  Kind of your choice though, it is a "personal" record after all.  I'd go ahead and sign up for another soon just to get rid of that lingering sense of doubt.  Looks like you have it in you now!

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

So here's a question for ya: 

I just ran a 5k on New Year's Eve. I ran a 20:40. 

However, the race measured long - everyone's Garmin showed 3.25. Even the race website showed it was 3.22.

If that's the case, I ran a 6:24 pace - which translates to a 19:53 "true" 5k race. 

Thanks! 

I didn't.  I ran a 5k on Christmas Eve in 22:07.  The race acknowledged the course was long, stating it in the official results as 5.541km.  That's a 19:58 "equivalent" race.  Nah, I'll hold out for the real number.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau