2011 Goal of Sub 20 5k (Read 4853 times)

JimR

I didn't run a single 5k last year, it was all trail racing. I guess it's that time of year to say "this time for sure" ... :=). I'm 51 now..seems like a good plan to me! eta: last year I was running 5k tempo efforts (not time trials) in 21 so I think the legs will be fine.

Hey Jim, why so secretive these days?

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

He's right. Throw away any concerns about age. I'm the same age as you and can't discern any difference from when I was a teen. If anything, running is probably easier now. I guess that would be offset by the fact I'm a little heavier and drink more beer, which I could address if I really wanted to...

I guess this must vary from person to person. I run a lot more now than in my teens, but I don't expect to ever run as fast as I was then (not that I was fast then, just compared to now).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

protoplasm72

I guess this must vary from person to person. I run a lot more now than in my teens, but I don't expect to ever run as fast as I was then (not that I was fast then, just compared to now).

I'm faster now for any distance over 400m but I was quite fast for sprints.  I doubt I'll ever get that explosive power back.  I can't jump anymore either, I was able to dunk a basketball (only weakly though) in high school.  I don't think I can touch the rim anymore.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Cool Jump Suit

I am going to give this another shot this year.  Last year I worked my time down to 21:01.  So, still a long way to go.  Just don't seem to have the cardio.  We'll see how this winter/spring goes with training and getting back up to speed. 

So bittersweet,
            This tragedy
            Won't ask for absolution;
            This melody,
            Inside of me,
            Still searches for solution.
            A twist of faith,
            A change of heart
            Cures my infatuation.
            A broken heart, 
            Provides the spark
            For my determination.

xhristopher

True, I got faster times with less miles then and I've got a feeling my track times (400-1500M) are still out of reach, not that I train for that. I think the benefits of patients and maturity that comes with being older seems to offset any slight difference the last 20 years may have had. Plus, I've got no idea what I could have done from years 18-36 so, really, I'm guessing here.

It is quite intriguing to me, teading through a thread like this or there's another one about breaking 4-hours for the marathon.  Sometimes (I'm not pin-poining any particular individual here) people don't have the slightest idea why they think they should do well in the race.  Being determined may work sometimes but, in most cases, well, not.  I've talked to quite a few people who expect to run their marathon under 4-hours solely based on the fact that they THINK they should be able to run a sub-4 marathon.  And usually their "hunch" is wrong.  Usually the same can be said with sub-20 minutes 5k.  PRs and improvements COULD come by accident--or by, as I always say, crap-shooting.  But mostly it COULD also come by plan.  If you understand the physiology of human body and understand your own strengths and weaknesses as well as your limitations and be patient and train systematically, they should come to you naturally.  But if you misunderstand the fundamentals, you may work really hard but the outcomes might be quite disappointing.

I am glad you liked my posts! I was obsessed with breaking 20 minutes for about a 4 year period. I trained harder and harder but the times only fell slowly. Then in May 2008 I ran a 20:03 and it felt like a slap in the face to be so close....Two months later with much less training (about 25 mpw) on a trail course I was determined to break 20 again and ran my 19:50.  

I hope you are not getting yourself into a trap of; "See, training less faster is the way to go..."  I don't know what you mean by "trained harder and harder" but yours might be a prime example of training hard but not necessarily correctly. 

I will be in here also along with 1:30 half goal thread. I like my chances here. I have broke 20 min before but it has been 2007. Last year I did a 20:08 late in year. I run one Valentine's weekend but no chance then with winter weight, cold, snow.....but it does let me see where I am at compared to other years.

+3.  You got 3 votes from me on this comment! ;o)

I hope you are not getting yourself into a trap of; "See, training less faster is the way to go..."  I don't know what you mean by "trained harder and harder" but yours might be a prime example of training hard but not necessarily correctly. 

I appreciate the comments Nobby!

Back in 2008 I was running about 35 mpw for 2 years before I finally broke sub 20 in June 2008. Now that my goal was accomplished I was so glad the weight was off my back the pressure was off so I lightened the mileage to 25 mpw. In July 2008 I ran a 20:03 on a fast course which angered me since I should have been sub 20. So I made up my mind to go sub 20 in August 2008 on a tougher course even though I kept the mileage lower. I wanted to make sure my 1st sub 20 was not run on a short course.

I probably ran too many time trials in my 1st few years of trying to break 20... but I like to see where I am at. I get too impatient not knowing where I am. I bought Daniels Running Formula in late 2007 and used that to follow the 24 week program to beat the sub 20 mark. I am pretty sure you know all about Daniels formula but for those that do not, this program calls for running 6 weeks of slower base mileage before doing too much fast work.

I have run a couple time trials this year yes but the 23:23 I ran this past week was hardly a hard effort. Was it easy miles? No way but I wasn't taxing myself too much.

MoBramExam

As one of the "regulars" on the original thread throughout 2009, I remember the light bulb going on when I realized I going nowhere fast by training with the hope of running some random 5K (usually the next one) in less than 20 minutes.  What I needed to do was focus on training to transform myself into a sub-20 5K runner.  Workout by workout, week by week, month by month.  Everything (even the fun stuff) done with a purpose.

This year's class is lucky to have Tchuck here to keep everyone in check and "training with purpose".  I cannot stress how much this applies to reaching both long-term and short-terms goals.  Dedication.  Dicipline.  Time.  Patience. 

Some great reading concerning purpose in training is Pete Magill's article in Running Times:

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19258

Some of you may be familar with his Carlsbad 5000 training program.  I believe the principles behind its structure are as sound as anything I have come across.

Also a good read is Scout7's 1/11/2011 guest blog on Jeff's The Logic of Long Distance.  Title is "How to Run Like a Stotic".

http://thelogicoflongdistance.blogspot.com/

Good luck to everyone in reaching all your 2011 goals.  Look foward to following along and reading about your successes.

RootieKazootie

I've got my weekly miles up to 40 and am dabbling with 1K and Mile Intervals. I'm curious to know what intervals you guys do (or have done in the past) and what your 5K was at the time? Every other week i'll do 10x1K @ 4:05 off 1 min rests, or 8x1Mile @ 6:50

I'm hoping this, with weekly 12Mile Long Runs, will also help my 10K to HM, as i struggle a bit for endurance.

Thanks for the links MoBramExam. Interesting stuff. I've still got a while to go, better get back to it.......

L Train

or 8x1Mile @ 6:50

Holy shit, I don't know what your race times are but 8 x 1 mile intervals would put me in the ground and my base is bigger than yours.  My 5K went from 21ish to 19:12 last year from doing marathon training.  This included weekly miles, long tempos and some intervals.  My interval training was pretty much limited to 4 or x 1 mile with 400 rest or 8 by 800 with 90 secs rest.

xhristopher

Holy shit, I don't know what your race times are but 8 x 1 mile intervals would put me in the ground and my base is bigger than yours.  My 5K went from 21ish to 19:12 last year from doing marathon training.  This included weekly miles, long tempos and some intervals.  My interval training was pretty much limited to 4 or x 1 mile with 400 rest or 8 by 800 with 90 secs rest.

I think we are missing some info here, like what RootieKazootie's current 5K is because if it's already 20Tight lippedx 6:50 mile repeats could be on the slower side of things. It could be more like fast tempo miles with rest between each mile, thus the reason for 8. Others might do mile repeats with fewer but faster miles. 

I concur with mile repeats being difficult on low base. This is a workout I couldn't pull off until my base was pretty deep but I usually run mine closer to my 5K pace than tempo pace and can't imagine doing 8.

Kalsarikännit

21ish to 19:12

Bragging.  Nice.  Roll eyes

MTA:  Were you aware what the Bears did yesterday?  They won.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

L Train

Bragging.  Nice.  Roll eyes

MTA:  Were you aware what the Bears did yesterday?  They won.

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and gosh darn it, people really like me. 

MTA:  Cromartiemouth.

MoBramExam

Anytime the topic turns to intervals (for improving 5K and other times), this has been the go-to post that provides pretty much everything you need to know:

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/7e95fbbcb119401b942bd0d9443755a1