2011 Goal of Sub 20 5k (Read 4853 times)

Thanks.

For the record the official time was 19:52.

SMART Approach

Good job man. You graduated! How was your pacing?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Good job man. You graduated! How was your pacing?

Thanks.

I ran at around 4:00 min/km according to my gps, and I thought it was slipping away from me a bit in the middle, but I found I felt pretty strong towards the end, so I was able to pick up the pace in the last minute or so to get in under the 20 min mark.

It looks like my average heart rate was lower than it has been for some of my 5k's last year, so I'm hopeful that I can improve further...

Prince of Fatness

19:51 today by my watch, still waiting for the official time which might be a few seconds different. Still, beats last years best of 20:06. Not sure if it's my all time PB - certainly I could go faster when I was in my 20s, but maybe I never actually did it in a race.

Congrats!  You do know that since you made it so early in the year, you now need to go for sub 19, right?

Not at it at all. 

Congrats!  You do know that since you made it so early in the year, you now need to go for sub 19, right?

Well - the tactic will be to run each time at the pace to more or less equal my best, then if I have it in the tank at the end speed up a bit. We'll see where that gets me. I mostly put the improvement down to losing a bit of weight. I might still lose another couple of kilos... after that I'll probably be running out of fat that I can easily lose, so it'll be harder to improve by getting lighter. We'll just have to see how it goes.

pr100 - great job & congrats!

Thanks.

Nice going, pr!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

wannaberunner

I look my best blurry!

Thanks.

Woot! Woot!  Very nice!

Congrats pr 100!

From your log it looks like you put in over 300 miles in December.

That is 10 miles a day... are you a machine or something?

I am up to 86 miles this year in the 1st 29 days.... nothing crazy I just do not want to burn out.

In the past when I was over 30 mpw in January but there is so much snow and cold in Michigan I cannot even foresee Spring and the racing season so

I am keeping things low key.

RootieKazootie

Well done pr100. Nice early graduation. Now you can take the rest of the year off.

300 miles in December? Shocked i'm hoping that's not compulsory for sub 20.

Beware, batbear...

I'm going to shoot for this along with a few other goals this year.  I'm hoping to get my mileage up from 35 mpw to 60+ over the spring.  With amping up mileage I'm hoping to lose some weight.  If I can stop eating stupid fast food I would be able to get it down to something reasonable, I'm pretty sure.  

Currently at 193.  Ran 22:55 last year at 190.  Wondering what I could run at 175 or lower.  Not sure if I'll run the Valentine's 5k just yet.  Money is tight.  

I ran a XC 5k last week in 24:25 but I was really using it as more of a training run than a pr attempt.  

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Hi Guys,

I'm usually lurking, but I'm here and still looking for the sub 20.  Good call on the 2011 thread Michigan!

I finally got some decent mileage while pushing for the 1000 mile club goal in November/December.  I then hit a flat course in mid December and ran 20:13

So close!  But don't get me wrong, I ran this one hard and I left it all on the course.   I've had a bit of a break, but I'm targeting a late spring peak.  We'll see!

Good luck all.

Steve

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

FWIW the 1st time I ran sub 20 I was near the end of a 186 mile month which at the time was my highest monthly total ever.

186!?Shocked

I only had 2 months over 100 last year (1st half of the year and ran 20:38 twice).    If you look at my chart before the 20:13, I really just focused on easy miles (trying to get 1000 for the year).

For me, I think about 3 months at 110-120 will do it.  I just need to sprinkle in the right mix of fast stuff - and find a nice easy courseBig grin

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

186!?Shocked

I only had 2 months over 100 last year (1st half of the year and ran 20:38 twice).    If you look at my chart before the 20:13, I really just focused on easy miles (trying to get 1000 for the year).

For me, I think about 3 months at 110-120 will do it.  I just need to sprinkle in the right mix of fast stuff - and find a nice easy courseBig grin

Yes but 20 something is still not 19Tight lippedx. I was determined to bury that monkey off my back and if I had to run more miles I would do it.

I am the king of 20Tight lippedx......  I must have run about 16 of them before I got my 1st 19Tight lippedx.

I ran about 1,000 miles in 2007 and my best 5k time was 20:17

In 2008... I ran 125,142, 171, 172 and 186 the 1st 5 months and that is how I broke 20.

I think it was more the accumulated miles then the high mileage months that helped me break 20.

Just an afterthought you state that about 3 months at 110-120 should do it. It sounds like you are trying to pull a 19:59 out of the hat with a perfect pacing performance. When I broke 20 I beat the snot out of it with a 19:35. If you train just enough to barely squeak sub 20 then you are going to have to redline for the entire 5k distance and still be right on the border of beating it. Just my 2 cents!  I want to see you break the barrier so I hope you can do it!