2011 Goal of Sub 20 5k (Read 4853 times)

xhristopher

Anyone have an idea of how much altitude will affect you in a race?  I've got a 5k in Denver in coming up in 2 weeks.  I feel like I could break 20 if I was running in Chicago but I have no idea how close I'll be out there.  Should I start slower then usual or just go at full speed and hope I don't die?  

The runworks calculator might be interesting to look at. I've got no idea how accurate it is but it's fun to play with.

protoplasm72

The runworks calculator might be interesting to look at. I've got no idea how accurate it is but it's fun to play with.

At my pace that calculator seems to predict a pretty linear 5 second per 1000 ft altitude.  Does that seem accurate?  I kind of thought it would be more exponential with very little change between lower altitudes but then higher altitudes performance would drop off rapidly.  I don't really have anything to base that on though since I've never raced above 1500ft.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Prince of Fatness

Just thought that I would refer you folks to this gem of a post from Jim Howe.  Following this advice has help a bunch of folks here, including me, get to sub 20.

Not at it at all. 

xor

At my pace that calculator seems to predict a pretty linear 5 second per 1000 ft altitude.  Does that seem accurate?

It isn't for me, no.  Then again, I can't say I've scientifically tested it.

Slo

Just thought that I would refer you folks to this gem of a post from Jim Howe.  Following this advice has help a bunch of folks here, including me, get to sub 20.

Thanks for the link MrPH

This last weekend I did a 5k...Coming off a good hard training week and had run 12 miles the day before. It was a windy SOB and the 1st half of the race was dead into the wind. I had no expectations of beating my previous best of 20:19

I came in at 20:03. My halfway split provided by the timing company was 10:02...I can't wait to do a 5k on rested fresh legs !

I finally got off the snide today.

I ran a 5k loop in my neighborhood in 21:52.

It feels good to finally FINALLY get under 22 minutes. It used to be a cakewalk for me to hit 21 so after running about 65 of the first  75 days this year it finally is great to see some progress.

I ran a 22:31 on the treadmill in late January and wanted sub 22 by mid to late February which didn't happen because I have been suffering some hip pain. Almost feels like a nerve and I had to stop running for 3-4 days a couple times until it went away.

The splits tonight 6:54, 7:22, 6:57 and a 39 second last tenth.

I really felt good the 1st mile...was running hard but not winded.

The second mile I still felt okay but just couldn't muster the opening mile pace.

The last mile started to get uncomfortable but right now my leg still feels good so if I am good in the morning I will feel that much better.

I am a little worried what the pounding will do since this was mostly on sidewalk tonight.

I am at 193 miles for the year.

Thanks for the link MrPH

This last weekend I did a 5k...Coming off a good hard training week and had run 12 miles the day before. It was a windy SOB and the 1st half of the race was dead into the wind. I had no expectations of beating my previous best of 20:19

I came in at 20:03. My halfway split provided by the timing company was 10:02...I can't wait to do a 5k on rested fresh legs !

SloHand.... I had a PR of 20:17 after 4 long years of racing. Then I ran a 20:02 and I was so mad! I knew I could have found 3 seconds somewhere along the way. Great job that you are not sweating the near miss like I did. After all you have negative splits! In my 20:02 I think I had a 10:14, 9:48 negative split. When you start running neg splits you know you are a real monster! Take care of sub 20 soon!

protoplasm72

21:30 at the race in Denver.  If the first mile was accurately marked we started at about 6:10 pace then all of us in the lead group died.  I actually felt real good for the first mile and if I was home I would of been pushing harder.  I think the altitude just killed me in the end and couldn't hold that pace.  I ended up with 3rd overall but this race is part of a conference so it is less then 100 people and all out of towners that are not used to the altitude either.  The top 3 finishers were all from the midwest.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

21:30 at the race in Denver.  If the first mile was accurately marked we started at about 6:10 pace then all of us in the lead group died.  I actually felt real good for the first mile and if I was home I would of been pushing harder.  I think the altitude just killed me in the end and couldn't hold that pace.  I ended up with 3rd overall but this race is part of a conference so it is less then 100 people and all out of towners that are not used to the altitude either.  The top 3 finishers were all from the midwest.  

Usually my 1st race of the year in early April is around 21 minutes so if this is your 1st effort of the year that is not to shabby.

My fastest ever opening mile was 6:18 en route to a 19:35 finish three years ago.

lagwagon

Sign me up for the sub 20 this year...!  I think i'm closing in on the 20th anniversary of my last one, and would like to get another in before i hit 2 score years this fall and i'm officially in the masters category (...and my body spontaneously falls apart)   Smile

seriously though, I liked the link to J Howes old post, and agree with his suggestions, esp re track work. 

but I have a question:  how many miles/wk do you think are "reasonable" training for a sub 20 5k, assuming you have a good mix of distance, speed and rest?  reading through a lot of posts it seems there are varying opinions, but generally seem higher than I wouldve thought

my plan has been to build up to about 30mi/wk  (inc some tempo and hills, although not noted in my log) before hitting the track or doing a benchmark race.

thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Sign me up for the sub 20 this year...! 

but I have a question:  how many miles/wk do you think are "reasonable" training for a sub 20 5k, assuming you have a good mix of distance, speed and rest?  reading through a lot of posts it seems there are varying opinions, but generally seem higher than I wouldve thought 

Congrats on the goal. 5ks are hard and stupid and fun, and I love them.

You will never get a good answer to your question though. There are varying opinions because every runner is different. Some can roll out of bed and run sub 20. Some take years of 50+ mile weeks. You'll have to spend the time getting to know what it takes for you. Sounds like you have something of a plan there...it's either going to work or not, and you'll adjust. If there were some magical weekly mileage number, everyone who wanted to would just run that and the finish chute would be crowded with 19:5x'ers...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

MoBramExam

+1 to h2bubbles comments.  As you string together a few weeks and months of running most every day, the necessary details will start to come into focus.  For now, just get out there and keep running 5-6 days a week at a pace that allows you to get the time on your feet. 

Sign me up for the sub 20 this year...!  I think i'm closing in on the 20th anniversary of my last one, and would like to get another in before i hit 2 score years this fall and i'm officially in the masters category (...and my body spontaneously falls apart)   Smile

seriously though, I liked the link to J Howes old post, and agree with his suggestions, esp re track work. 

my plan has been to build up to about 30mi/wk  (inc some tempo and hills, although not noted in my log) before hitting the track or doing a benchmark race.

thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Some very good runners have told me 25 miles per week is enough but I was not confident enough to do it on that low mileage total.

I was able to break sub 20 by running just under 35 miles per week.

The key seemed to be consecutive months of running over 100 miles per month (I am talking about 6-7 months straight of these totals) not so much running 35 miles for 12 straight weeks.

35 mile weeks did alot more for me than 25 mile weeks but left me alot more burned out as well.

Currently I sit at about 17 mpw and can run sub 22.

lagwagon

thanks for the feedback, all.

I'm thinking I might need the 30+ miles, as I've fallen short in the past but always on 15-20/wk.  Now again I've been doing 15-20 a week for about 8 mos straight (with only 3 weeks off in Feb.,) and generally like the way it fits into life.  doesnt wear me down or feel like a grind.  I want the sub 20 enough though now to step it up, so I've been getting 20+mi the last few weeks

I did run a 36 min 5 mile in Nov....with increasing miles and some lost weight since, I think I'm well positioned.   nonetheless dropping that 7:30 pace to a 6:45 is not trivial, so I think I'll keep pushing the mileage up for another month or so.

weather has gotten better and got 9 planned for tomorrow, i'll follow the thread and hopefully get to see a few others get their 19s on!  thanks again

s

On how many MPW is enough for a sub 20 ...

I'm doing sub 20 on 20-25 MPW without doing intervals or other structured speedwork. The key for me is one 5-6 mile form-tempo run each week where I focus on high cadence (96-100+ spm, well above the usual 90 spm target). While the pace isn't as important as cadence I usually go about 7:00-7:15 min/mi after a warmup jog. The idea is that running fast is as much nerves as muscles. If I can get used to turning my legs over at that quick a rate the racing won't seem so jarring to my body. Hill work can have a similar effect if you're careful not to kill your quads on the downhills.