2011 Goal of Sub 20 5k (Read 4853 times)

Saturday ran 3 very flat miles in 21 minutes: 6:50, 7:01, and then 7:09. It was a "race" with about 20 people in it. Only two people ran it: the winner and me. I wrote about it here.

Sunday ran 10 miles very slowly - 9:40 pace

Monday and Tuesday easy four miles each day.

Today I ran 4 miles averaging 7:44 pace: uphill mile one - 7:49;  down hill mile two - 7:24; up hill mile three 7:56; down hill last mile 7:43. Heart rate was "steady" range. Those paces have resulted in 20:30 or so 5K's in the past. Oh well, I keep plugging away.

Mainrun... you have great race reports. That makes me want to run races just so I can tell my stories and stop worrying so much about times!

Great job!

Doc, my tooth hurts

It only took me about a year and a half, but I finally broke 20 minutes!  Started off witha  6:22 the first mile and felt good, 2nd mile was more uphill so 6:24, and luckily the last mile I had 2 people I wanted to chase down and passed both of them for a 6:17 mile.  Pretty much a perfect day for this and am hoping to get below 19:30 before the summer is over and maybe can start looking at breaking 19:00 next year, I'll just have to evaluate things the end of this racing season.

Congratulation extendedsolo

darthbaggins

First Post!

I managed to sub 20 last year in 19:55 and now have just over 4 weeks to give it another go. I've been training through the winter towards a couple of sprint triathlons so my running has been reduced. Two weeks ago I managed a 21:50 during the 5k at the end of the second tri on about 10-15 miles a week of running and seriously heavy legs!!  Having now got fed up with swimming and cycling I'm back to wanting to pb at a few distances this summer. Goal is a half marathon in september and a 10k before that in July but wanted to try a 5k in June. Anyway last week I started to get a bit of distance back on my runs and this week will hit nearly 30 miles (4 runs a week). I managed 3 weeks in a row of 30 miles (normally don't break out of the 20's) before the 19:55 last summer and will look to do the same. As I've only 4 weeks left has anyone got any tips on the best sessions to do? I'm upto 9 miles on my long run and will do a hilly 6 miler tomorrow lunchtime at a steady pace. Because of my limited mileage is there any point doing tempo runs or intervals in the time left or should I just stick to getting miles under my belt?

Cheers

SMART Approach

You will gain fitness by just doing the extra miles over the next few weeks. If you can harness these work outs, they can help you peak assuming this is a goal race for you. I say this as I a reluctant to add intensity while adding miles but since it is only a few weeks, you may be able to get away with it. Listen to your body and your recovery.

On your long runs if feeling decent, finish the last 2-3 miles (or toward end) at tempo effort. Throw in some fast striders as part of your cooldown. Don't aim to hit a certain pace, just work what feels like tempo pace.

One other day per week do, 2 X 1K at 10K effort w/ 90 sec rest, and then 2 X 800m at 3-5K effort with 90 sec jog rest. Jog a few minutes and then 3 X 200m fast w/ full recovery.

The next week and the week after that do 3 X 1K at 10K effort and 3 X 800m at 3-5K effort w/ 4 X 200m fast.

On race week on Tuesday do 4 X 1K at 10K effort w/ 4 X 200m fast as the last work out before race.

These work outs will challenge you but won't kill you and will help you peak. They should not fry the heck out of you. If they do, you are running too hard or you are not ready for them.

On the other days, run comfortable and you can do your hilly routes but just don't beat the heck out of yourself. Save your harder days for your harder days and easier days for easier days. The easier days are where you get stronger. Good luck!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I have been very happy with my 2011 fitness/training.

My average weight in January was 176 pounds. After today's run, the average weight for May has been 166 pounds.

Here have been the progression of my workouts. Each 5 X 1K had 90 second recoveries followed by 4 X 40 second striders.

March 27: 5 X1K average 4:37

April 3: 5 X1K average 4:34

April 9: 5K Race 22:10 7:09 pace

April 17: 5 X1K average 4:27

April 24: cut back - no intervals

May 1: 5 X1K average 4:21

May 7: 3 mile race 21:00 7:00 pace

May 15: 5 X1K average 4:17

May 22 (today): 5 X1K average 4:07. Last one was 3:59.

The average pace of the kilometers have been improving, but the effort level I think has been the same. Except for today. I pushed harder today than previous workouts. I felt good.

I have also been doing a four mile marathon paced effort a week. All other runs have been slow, easy, and fun. Not that the fast stuff hasn't been enjoyable.

______

Time to change things up. I have been doing the 5X1K then 4 X 40 second striders at the start of my Sunday 10 mile run. I am going to do them later in the week in a shorter run. During my ten mile Sunday run, I am gong to finish with tempo pace miles. Probably start with two or three, and build to four (maybe five.)

Good running all.

SMART Approach

I have been very happy with my 2011 fitness/training.

My average weight in January was 176 pounds. After today's run, the average weight for May has been 166 pounds.

Here have been the progression of my workouts. Each 5 X 1K had 90 second recoveries followed by 4 X 40 second striders.

March 27: 5 X1K average 4:37

April 3: 5 X1K average 4:34

April 9: 5K Race 22:10 7:09 pace

April 17: 5 X1K average 4:27

April 24: cut back - no intervals

May 1: 5 X1K average 4:21

May 7: 3 mile race 21:00 7:00 pace

May 15: 5 X1K average 4:17

May 22 (today): 5 X1K average 4:07. Last one was 3:59.

The average pace of the kilometers have been improving, but the effort level I think has been the same. Except for today. I pushed harder today than previous workouts. I felt good.

I have also been doing a four mile marathon paced effort a week. All other runs have been slow, easy, and fun. Not that the fast stuff hasn't been enjoyable.

______

Time to change things up. I have been doing the 5X1K then 4 X 40 second striders at the start of my Sunday 10 mile run. I am going to do them later in the week in a shorter run. During my ten mile Sunday run, I am gong to finish with tempo pace miles. Probably start with two or three, and build to four (maybe five.)

Good running all.

Good job Mainrun! Keep the progress going. It is nice to mix it up. I do think you need to get some more miles in. This will definitely help your 5K times. I think the 10 mile long run with quality is a little aggressive if you are not getting 25 miles a week in (unless you are training for a half marathon). I would prefer two 8 milers in the week or even an 8 miler and a 6 miler with quality work.

The CV reps (10K effort or so for you) are important on a regular basis but every third or 4th week you can mix in a 4 X 1 mile at fast tempo pace or 6-7 X 800 at 10K effort, do a combo work out like 2 miles at marathon pace with 2 X 1K at 10K effort  and 1 X 1K at 5K effort or 5-6 X 400m at 10K effort and 5-6 X 400 at 5K effort 3 X 300 fast.  I would advice not to push too hard on the CV reps and keep controlled at 10K effort. You are or should be building miles so I would not get into too much anaerobic work. Nothing wrong with giving the last one a little gas but on May 22nd you are probably ran them at 3K effort. Again you can throw this work out in every now and then but these will beat you up a bit more in training and will start a peaking process also. I don't think you need this now.  I would you prefer you stay at 10K effort and drop the rests down to 60 sec for those reps in time rather than trying to race those reps. Listen to your body and focus on effort vs. having to hit a certain pace as weather, wind, heat etc make effort feel different each week potentially. Keep up the great work and keep us updated.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Well, sub 20 is the first step in the process for getting to my goals. My first race for this summer (5K) will be June 18th, and I think I'll be in position to have a pretty good shot if I can just keep plugging away at the weight loss, and keep up the consistent and injury free training. Down to around 163 ish from 175 or so back at the start of April.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

SMART Approach

L-Master- good miles. You are on your way. Have you ramped up miles quickly or did you just start logging recently?

L-Master- good miles. You are on your way. Have you ramped up miles quickly or did you just start logging recently?

Basically a bit of both, until recently ish. http://www.runningahead.com/logs/9bdf28363a3546cbb818285bc9ae0661/reports/graph?zsm=12&zdg=3&g12=2008-08-01&l12=2011-05-31&t=0&x=12&y=20 probably sums it up best.

Basically had a massive gap where I had a bunch of stuff going on and just kinda lost focus for a while. Back now and really ready to start seeing what I can do.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Good job Mainrun! Keep the progress going. It is nice to mix it up. I do think you need to get some more miles in. This will definitely help your 5K times. I think the 10 mile long run with quality is a little aggressive if you are not getting 25 miles a week in (unless you are training for a half marathon). I would prefer two 8 milers in the week or even an 8 miler and a 6 miler with quality work.

The CV reps (10K effort or so for you) are important on a regular basis but every third or 4th week you can mix in a 4 X 1 mile at fast tempo pace or 6-7 X 800 at 10K effort, do a combo work out like 2 miles at marathon pace with 2 X 1K at 10K effort  and 1 X 1K at 5K effort or 5-6 X 400m at 10K effort and 5-6 X 400 at 5K effort 3 X 300 fast.  I would advice not to push too hard on the CV reps and keep controlled at 10K effort. You are or should be building miles so I would not get into too much anaerobic work. Nothing wrong with giving the last one a little gas but on May 22nd you are probably ran them at 3K effort. Again you can throw this work out in every now and then but these will beat you up a bit more in training and will start a peaking process also. I don't think you need this now.  I would you prefer you stay at 10K effort and drop the rests down to 60 sec for those reps in time rather than trying to race those reps. Listen to your body and focus on effort vs. having to hit a certain pace as weather, wind, heat etc make effort feel different each week potentially. Keep up the great work and keep us updated.

Thanks tchuck: sound advice as always. I like the idea of dropping rest down from 90 to 60 seconds.

One other thing I did not add to my post: When there is no activity in my RunningAhead log, I run in place on a "rebounder" for 40 to 50 minutes. Several months ago I broke my treadmill. Instead of repairing or replacing the treadmill, I tried the much more economical rebounder option. To me, listening to music or watching television while running in place on a rebounder, is very similar to running slowly on a treadmill. I think that helps justify the 10 mile long run. thanks again!

Well I jump into this, I've been struggling with injuries for the better part of two years now and haven't run a decent 5K for most of that time as well.  I'm just coming off a 3:27:21 marathon at Sugarloaf (and really tired the last four miles) needed to get the BQ under my belt.  Now I want to concentrate on getting back into sub 20 5K shape.

I'll start in earnest this weekend and have a three mile race on June 10th that should give me a pretty good idea where I stand relative to 5K race shape.

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

mainerunnah - I'm jumping in here too and also dealing with some injuries... 

trying to get under 20 minutes for the first time since highschool when I ran mid 16's..  just turned 40 two weeks ago and immediately began with some Achilles tendonitis Big grin...but I think I tried to ramp up speed and distance two quick in one or two workouts and just aggrevated it...I blew out the other Achilles 6 years ago and my gait has never fully been correct since...

I missed a couple weeks this year due to illness and a long vacation  but I'm way ahead of where I was last year at this time.  I ran a 20:04 last July and I've had two good interval workouts the past two weekends...I'm always trying to balance speed and mileage.  My wife also runs and with two small kids we alternate days for workouts and my workouts themselves are limited in time.

Looking for some advice from the group

Wondering if I should try to get in two more easy runs (3-4 miles) before Monday or if I should just rest the Achilles.  I was sore on Monday after mile repeats on Saturday but that's subsided.  However, I still am getting a few little twinges of soreness. mostly in my heel..I'm a bit nervous having blown out the other one 6 years ago (wasn't running at the time).

What would everyone recommend?  Am I better to rest now 'til Monday or get in 1 or 2 easy workouts?  I have another race on June 12th on a VERY flat course and a couple more planned this year, but the Ridgewood Run on Memorial Day is a bit sentimental to me as I ran it several times in my youth and I'd LOVE to break 20 minutes here..

Hoping to break 20 on memorial day!! (http://www.ridgewoodrun.com/)

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

SMART Approach

Do some cross training also when not running? Bike, elliptical etc. Try an easy run on Saturday. Get that area nice and loose. Soak in hot bath, do range of motion. Give it a go. I think you will be ok. If pain worsens during run, STOP!