I dry-heaved during an interval workout! (Read 1727 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This is a good thing! Really! Last night, I was doing 4x3min with 3min recovery on the treadmill. The intervals were run at goal 10k pace (6:27/mi) and 3% incline. During the 4th and final interval, I cranked the treadmill up to 6:00/mi for the last 45 seconds. With about 15 seconds to go, I started retching, loud and hard. Probably about 4-5 times, and a few more after the interval ended and I hopped off the treadmill. On the last one, I felt chunks in the back of throat! So why the hell is this a good thing? Well, it tells me that I have regained some of my mental toughness that disappeared over years of sloth. It tells me that when it's go-time in a few weeks, I can lay the hammer down at the end of the race. Knowing that I can bring myself to the edge of the River Hurl and be prepared to cross it makes me feel like I'm really ready to race. One thing of note: I could sense stomach tightness probably from interval 2 onward. I knew that if I HTFU'd at the end, it would get ugly. MY legs and lungs felt ok, so I wonder, what does it mean when your stomach is the weak spot, and why do you dry heave if you run hard enough? What can be done (other than more speedwork) to mitigate this? I do know as I get better trained, DHTP (Dry Heave Threshold Pace) will get faster and faster, but I've never quite gotten why this occurs. It just does, and I can't tell you how many of my interval workouts in the old days (15~20 years ago) culminated with my dry heaving in the infield of a track. Ah, youth! Wink

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

chrimbler

Sympathetic nervous system response (fight or flight) - decreases blood flow to non vital organs (stomach)
      Run like you stole it!
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You did not run hard enough. Had you run hard enough, you would have wet heaved. That is, puked.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You did not run hard enough. Had you run hard enough, you would have wet heaved. That is, puked.
          I have to save something for that finish line photo.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The best finish line photo, one I have yet to see, is of a hurl perfectly timed with crossing the line.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The best finish line photo, one I have yet to see, is of a hurl perfectly timed with crossing the line.
              That, along with 39xx, is my goal for the race (Cotton Row). The tough part is that if I hurl too soon, then I have to hold it in my mouth until the line, and then spew. Hmm, maybe I do need to practice that.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Don't do anything new on race day.
                  Hey I did a simlar workout last week except it was 6 x 3:45 with 1:20 jogs and I didn't puke or dry heave. Wus.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hey I did a simlar workout last week except it was 6 x 3:45 with 1:20 jogs and I didn't puke or dry heave. Wus.
                    Hey mikey, what's the difference between you and a mallard with a cold? One's a sick duck and I can't remember how it ends, but your mother's a whore. The puke was a little self-induced since I accelerated at the end. What pace did you run the intervals (thinking that I might need to try this soon)? Was it outdoors via Garmin or something?

On the track. 6 x 1000 at 6:00 pace with a slow 200m jog (okay a little slower than 10k pace for me but it was 5:30 in the morning, I'm still allegedly recovering from a marathon and I couldn't just pass up a chance to bust your balls like that.) Also the last one was at 5:55 pace and I went right into 4 x 10 second hill charges after it. Did I mention I didn't puke or dry heave?

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Did I mention I didn't puke or dry heave?
                        Did I mention your mother's a whore? Wink That's because your are more well-trained than I, and thus your DHTP (Dry-Heave Threshold Pace) is faster. I'm about a year away from doing your workout w/o heaves.

I also did a longish (4 mile) cooldown which I think is key.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I went right into 4 x 10 second hill charges after it.
                            Your track has a hill?

Your track has a hill?
                              There's a hill right in front of the high school, so I ran out the gate just past the finish line, across the driveway and right into the hill. mta: by "right into" I meant without stopping to suck wind or even breaking stride, really. I just glided to a jog after the finish line and jogged the ~60 yards to the bottom of the hill.

Runners run

protoplasm72

A girl in front of me in my last marathon came really close. About 30 feet past the finish line and 10 feet in front of me she let loose. Tight lipped

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson