Race Medal Spoilers (Read 172 times)

Julia1971

Another poll!

So, earlier this week, the New York City Marathon had a Facebook post asking if people wanted to see the finishers medal.  (They subsequently posted a picture of the participants shirt.  I've since unfollowed/unliked all their social media accounts until race day but know I will probably see the medal if someone retweeted/shares it.)  FWIW, it didn't bother me when they revealed it last year and I can see how it helps build excitement about the race.  But, now, I kinda want it to be a surprise.

What do you think?  Would you want to see your race medal before the race or would you rather see it first when you finish?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I don't mind seeing it before, but my preference is for race shirt colour to be revealed the week of the race, actual shirts revealed at the Expo/packet pickup and the medals revealed the day before the race. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Feeling the growl again

I guess it depends what motivates you.  I've never given two shakes about the medal, though I have some on display.  I've got large city marathon medals I don't give a hoot about and they are crappy.  Last weekend I got a medal from a 5K with about 12 racers, and I thought it was pretty cool.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't care.

spinach

I don't understand why anyone would be upset to see the medal beforehand, but I also don't understand why anyone would want to see the medal afterwards.  I could definitely do without the medals in a race and I would be glad to save a dollar or two on the registration without the medal.  The only finisher medal I have kept is the 1976 New York Marathon one.  I discovered it last year and i have kept it because it is almost 40 years old.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I guess for some races, the organizers post the shirt and medal in advance to attract more runners. That doesn't affect me; I chose a race based on other criteria. That said, I do like finishers' medals for marathons and I think I'd rather not see the medal until I've crossed the finish line.

Oh, wait, let me correct myself. There is half marathon race this year in NJ (Run the Reservoir) where runners got really, really nice long-sleeved, zip-front fleece tops. I'd run that race next year if they give them out again. In that case, I'd definitely want to see it in advance to know for sure.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

If they don't show the medal beforehand, I'll likely never "see" it.

I remove and stash my medal before leaving the finish area, at which time I'm too whipped or overwhelmed by other stuff being handed to me to notice. When I get home, the medal goes from the bag of sweaty race gear directly to a doorknob; I may or may not make some observation about the quality or appeal of the medal at that time.

Since medals are now "awarded" simply in exchange for a "race" entry fee (no need to actually finish or likely even show up), well ...

Liz

pace sera, sera

Best Present Ever

It's never once occurred to me that it ought to be a surprise.

Julia1971

It's never once occurred to me that it ought to be a surprise.

I don't think it ever occurred to them either.  Smile  I'm guessing when they released it last year, they got some backlash, which is why they asked about it this year and are trying to please both audiences.

Anonymous Guest

I don't care.

This. Just don't tell me I got this.....

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Julia1971

This. Just don't tell me I got this.....

LOL!  I did cheer, "Go get your medal!" one year at Marine Corps.  I'm sure some of the runners were thinking, "Lady, I don't give a #$^@ about the medal!"

delicate flower

Heh...it never dawned on me that some folks might want the medal to be a surprise.  Doesn't matter to me either way.

Seems like I am in the minority of men who actually like the race trinkets and look forward to getting them.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I voted Maybe, but I really mean I don't care. As long as I've been running, I didn't get my first finishers medal until 2013.  Like almost all the other awards I've received it's sitting on a shelf or stuffed in a box or hanging from a doorknob.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Dreamn

Backlash for showing the medal?  There really is no pleasing people lol.  I'm in the I don't care camp Smile.

Julia1971

Maybe "backlash" is too strong. And now that I looked on their FB page, they may have only released the ribbon last year. Still, they must be asking because they think some people do care. FWIW, the most liked comments on their post was for not revealing it. Something about finishers should be the first people to see it (which I think is pretty weak.)

Backlash for showing the medal?  There really is no pleasing people lol.  I'm in the I don't care camp Smile.