Compression knee sleeves for knee pain? (Read 95 times)

thomjill

Hi, I've been having a lot of knee issues when running and was wondering if anyone ever tried knee sleeves from Cobra Grips? I may purchase a pair, and wanted some opinions first. Thank you.

iRunnerWV

I had my chiropractor work on mine and it went away after a few treatments.  Might be an option for you.

BimBamBooh

you have to do some exercises to strength your knee. All these compression socks and so on is just another way how to take money from runners.

Blue Rocket

All systems Go!

Getting back into running after quite a few years off, these 50+ knees (especially the right one) were acting up as I increased my mileage this spring. I did several things differently and the pain went away. The list is ordered with the most useful items at top.

- Reduced mileage in half and then increased 5-10% each week

- Lowered my intensity down to just MAF (check out the Low HR Training forum here at RA)

- Cut down on sugars and carbs (reducing body weight and indirectly lowering levels of cortisol hormone -- an inflamitory)

- Shortened my stride and increased cadence (from 165 to 180)

- Stopped doing any lower body weight lifting (will try again this winter as my mileage reduces)

- Ice and compression using neoprene knee wraps after each and every run

- Warm-up with Gary Gray's lunge matrix and then leg swings (search YouTube)

- Warm-up with half mile walk before run and half mile walk cool-down

- Foam rolling and /or "The Stick" before going to bed

- Read Anatomy for Runners by Dicharry, Jay

- Improved core and inner hip muscle tone by following a few exercises from Jay Dicharry's book

- Drank protein recovery mix right after each run

I'm now up to 50 miles per week and working hard to run my first marathon this fall.

Good Luck!