Flu shot heresy (Read 2156 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Another sad story

Ennay, maybe share this with your pregnant friend.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Feeling the growl again

Yeah, my pregnant friend isnt getting the vaccine because of all the silly rumors and stuff.  Besides, she is healthy.  And you know, she'll just get the flu anyway and getting the flu is safer than getting the vaccine. 

My wife and I are pretty sure we already had H1N1 go around our family after attending an international conference in August.  It was not so bad for my 2-yr-old and myself, fatigue and cranky for three days.  Same for the two-yr old.  My pregnant wife, however, was virtually incapacitated for nearly 2 weeks.  We're pretty sure that's what it was because she spends all her time treating people with H1N1 and giving flu vaccines and has not gotten sick again.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Jazz hands!

Huh, apparently LA County has some but is prioritizing people who aren't me (and the wait is really really long). I should see if my doctor has any.
        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
          I sat and read through all 18 pages of this and have been converted from the "anti-vaccine" kid to the "carry it in my pocket and administer it myself to all the nay-sayers."

It doesn't appear to be available in my area as of yet.

My question, if there is a choice between the nasal and the actual shot, is there much of a difference?

My ignorance comes towards the live vs. dead talk.

Either way, I love my wife and want her to get the shot because she has started teaching 4th grade on a permanent basis this past week.  And we all know that kids are going to get her sick...

So, obviously, if I only have one choice, we get that, but if we can pick, does it matter?

Feeling the growl again

We'll see if our resident doc chimes in, but I'd say get whatever you have access to.  The nasal vaccine is "attenuated", meaning that it is rendered far less able to cause in infection. A normal immune system will easily eliminate it.  While I would prefer the shot, if I had waited in line 2 hours and they ran out but had the nasal I'd take it.

There are certain groups, like people who are immunocomprimised, that should not take the nasal.  I think pregnant women too but I'd have to look that up.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Best Present Ever

I sat and read through all 18 pages of this and have been converted from the "anti-vaccine" kid to the "carry it in my pocket and administer it myself to all the nay-sayers."

It doesn't appear to be available in my area as of yet.

My question, if there is a choice between the nasal and the actual shot, is there much of a difference?

My ignorance comes towards the live vs. dead talk.

Either way, I love my wife and want her to get the shot because she has started teaching 4th grade on a permanent basis this past week.  And we all know that kids are going to get her sick...

So, obviously, if I only have one choice, we get that, but if we can pick, does it matter?

With seasonal flu, it appears that the nasal spray is somewhat less effective than the injectable in adults, but more effective in kids.  With H1N1, the early evidence is that the nasal  spray is more effective than usual.  Speculation is because it's a virus we haven't been exposed to before.  This is the first time I've ever gotten the nasal spray, and it was rather unpleasant.  I'd rather have the shot. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hooray!  You made my day.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes.  And also, the nasal spray is not recommended for people with certain medical conditions, such as asthma.  I always take the shot for this reason.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes.  And also, the nasal spray is not recommended for people with certain medical conditions, such as asthma...

Or oldness

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Or she could get them sick...either scenario is crummy (but your scenario is more likely.  I don't think I know any teachers who didn't spend the first couple years of employment sick a LOT).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hooray!  You made my day.

Glad I could.  I am just thankful that people are posting good information on here.

It's a scary thought as a newly wed to think that something that seems so harmless as the flu could be deadly.

Likewise, zoom-zoom, I wouldn't want my wife to cause kids to get deathly sick either.

But honestly, I want her vaccinated for her safety.

running yogi

What is confusing about:

• influenza kills and causes great morbidity and discomfort
                          • current treatments reduce the burden of disease and death in most people
                          • current treatments may not help everybody
                          • many research studies, including RCTs, have demonstrated safety of these treatments
                          • the risk of death from influenza is substantially higher (orders of magnitude) than the risk of death from treatments
                          ?

Now that I have made up my mind to get the vaccination, I find out that my city is is giving it out to people only at risk. I apparently do not fall into the risk category. Where else can I get it ?

My biggest motivation to get it, from all the discussion was that, if I get it, because I am healthy I may not die from it, but I could give it to someone who could die from it. Well that and the fact that I have no sick time or vacation time left at work

Fortunately my 3 year old was able to get it. Since I am healthy, hopefully I am at less risk.

Thank you for all the perspectives.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

His final rant was that it's a gov't conpiracy because there is not enough vaccine to go around so they are purposely working us up.  I did not bother to point out it is a modern marvel that this virus was discovered in April and we already have MILLIONS of doses shipping on a brand new vaccine.

You know, people should realize that a good conspiracy theory needs an organization/goverment/person who stands to gain power and wealth beyond their wildest dreams.

All conspiracy theorist should be forced to take  college level classes in finance and marketing and read a few Spiderman comic books so they can get this crap right before they post on the Internet.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

I've been fascinated with this thread & have read all 18 pages of it.  Ever since I got a raging case of the flu my first year in grad school, I've gotten the flu shot every year, and I've never gotten the flu since.  I get it for my kids too.  I'm pretty sure my kids & my husband had H1N1 a couple weeks ago, but since we're not 100% sure that's what it was, the kids have gotten the first round of the H1N1 vaccine too (it's not available for me or my husband yet).  So I believe in vaccines.

But there is a debate raging on another forum I'm part of, and I've been borrowing from the very rational arguments in this forum to try to convince these people that there is no government conspiracy to kill them with a flu shot.  But these people are hard-headed.  It's driving me crazy!  So the most recent arguments that have been thrown at me are these, and I could use more sane, rational info to answer them:

1. You shouldn't get the flu shot because if you keep suppressing your immune system, eventually it will stop working.  (now that just sounds dumb to me, but "that's dumb" is not the kind of sane, rational argument that will work)

2. Only one company makes the flu vaccine, which is a reason to be suspicious.  Of what? Not sure.  But these people are bothered by it.

3. It hasn't been tested.  (My "uh-huh, it has too" argument hasn't been working, nor does my follow-up of "besides, the seasonal flu vaccine is NOT tested, so if anything the H1N1 vaccine is safer" -- so can someone tell me how extensively it has been tested?)

4. Now they're saying it causes liver damage.  Is there any evidence of this?

Jennie

Silver Falls Half Marathon 11/3/2019 Goals:

1. Don't fall.

2. Finish.

3. See #1 and #2.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

3. Every year, the standard flu shot is tweaked in a small way to make it recognize the influenza virus that scientists think will be circulating that Winter.  Same method every year.  For as long as the flu vaccine has been around.  Billions of doses have been given over the years and around the world.  With very few problems.  The H1N1 vaccine is made in exactly the same way.  So it has been as thoroughly tested as any other flu vaccine.

4. No. 

I heard an interesting comment yesterday on the radio.  Somebody who did not favor vaccination said, "I trust nature far more than I trust science."  Really?  Nature, which actually invented these diseases?  So, does this person take antibiotics for infections?  Blood pressure medications for hypertension?  Drive a car to get places?  Heck, this person used email to send in the comment to the radio.  Are email and radio natural, or are they the result of science?