Flu shot heresy (Read 2156 times)

xor

I heard an interesting comment yesterday on the radio.  Somebody who did not favor vaccination said, "I trust nature far more than I trust science."  Really?  Nature, which actually invented these diseases?  So, does this person take antibiotics for infections?  Blood pressure medications for hypertension?  Drive a car to get places?  Heck, this person used email to send in the comment to the radio.  Are email and radio natural, or are they the result of science?

The list of reasons not to trust email is extensive, though.

Thank you Trent.

Jennie

Silver Falls Half Marathon 11/3/2019 Goals:

1. Don't fall.

2. Finish.

3. See #1 and #2.

I am a huge supporter of vaccines and in fact pushed my fiance into getting the nasal spray when it was available in the elementary school where he teaches.  Four days later he's sick in bed, achy with a fever of 101 (and is surprisingly cheerful for a sick man).  Is this a side effect of the vaccine, or was he infected with H1N1 before his immunity had a chance to build?  It's suspiciously close to the vaccine....and of course I was the one who told him you can't get sick from even the spray, and I understand that is weakened virus that is not supposed to be able to make you sick, but I am wondering a bit why people with certain medical conditions are not supposed to get the spray....
        keeponrunning

i'm still not sure about the shot--the history of former new vaccines gone bad (ie. unknown long-term effects) kinda scares me.  age wise i am at the high-end risk of getting this flu but not the normal flu, but i am a lot healthier than most people my age.  seems the majority of people who die from this already have pre-existing lung conditions such as asthma. 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

the majority of people who die from this already have pre-existing lung conditions such as asthma. 

Not true with H1N1.  Healthy kids and pregnant women are dying.

i am a lot healthier than most people my age

How do you know?  And FWIW, many of the people who are now dead from influenza infections, including H1N1, have uttered this exact quote.

Long term side effects?  Flu vaccination has been around for years (first used in the 1940s) and billions of doses have been given around the world, and there is no evidence of long term side effects.  What more do you want?  BTW, one of the long term side effects of getting actual influenza is being dead, though.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

but i am a lot healthier than most people my age.  seems the majority of people who die from this already have pre-existing lung conditions such as asthma. 

A 33 year old guy here just died.  He had NO pre-existing conditions.  The majority of kids being killed by this are also the healthy ones...for some reason it's not taking the usual suspects down.  Is that a risk you want to take?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

gracerunner

What I have noticed in a few articles about these deaths of "healthy" people are that they were administered antibiotics early on. I am no doctor, but I do believe antibiotics can be harmful to immunity if taken when not needed as they are for bacterial infections, not viruses. Perhaps, in some people, if this is done, it makes the flu worse, because of a weakened defense against virus. I am sure if my thoughts are wrong, they will be corrected by the M.D. runners here.   I never believe a headline or an article that says the person who just died of the flu was healthy before they showed symptoms.  Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. What state was their immunity in when exposed to the virus? Had they been on antibiotics in the past year? Were they prone to flus every year? Were they stressed out and tired from their work? I need more information before I will ride the wave of headline fueled hysteria.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is no evidence that taking an antibacterial antibiotic weakens the immune system in a way that makes the influenza virus harder to fight.

And many of the deaths happened before antibiotics were given anyway.

gracerunner

Thank you for the correction, Trent. You must be a medical doctor of some kind. What I have read must have been based on stories or myth. I have been looking all over for the actual ingredients in the vaccine. Does anyone here know what they are for sure? Perhaps someone can point me to a true medical website that lists them, as all I can find are Google Adsense link pages (Google has ruined website search engines). I will not take the vaccine until I know exactly what is in it, as I have adverse reactions to certain chemicals and foods. I can not imagine any doctor giving or reccomending the shot to someone without knowing the ingredients and what allergies and medical history the patient has.  Or a patient taking it without knowing what is in it.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You can find the package inserts for all vaccines here.  Package inserts have the ingredients and all sorts of other info.

You should hold all medications and treatments to the same standard.  Make sure then that you know all the ingredients and safety profile and testing history for your vitamins and your medications.

mikeymike

Here's a question for the people who feel the need to keep posting sad anecdotes of previously healthy people dying from the flu: what's your point?  Sure, it's tragic when healthy people get sick and die, whether it be from flu or cancer or aids or a "benign" tumor on their spinal chord, or a bazillion other unlikely things that could kill you but usually don't.  But what do you get out of posting these?  We get it, people sometimes die from flu.  But with currently enough H1N1 vaccine for about 5% of the population it would seem pointless to whip the countryside into a mass hysteria over something that, lets face it, will wind up being an inconvenience for the vast majority of those who get it.  It's very sad that for an unlucky few it will become very dangerous and even deadly.  But I don't see much point getting totally freaked out over it, or trying to get others equally freaked out.  Odds are you'll be fine.  With all the potential yet unlikely deadly hazards in the world, it's actually quite healthy to keep this in mind--it's the only way to get through the day, really.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Because people keep on saying things like, "I'm healthy and I won't get the flu."  Turns out that healthy people who have never gotten the flu are dying this year from the flu in greater numbers than prior years.  And we have a tool to help prevent that from happening.

In theory, there will be enough vaccine.  Just because there has not been in the first 3 weeks of availability does not mean otherwise.  And when you vaccinate yourself, you protect your children and my children.

mikeymike

Until there's enough vaccine available for everybody in real life and not just in theory, "I'm healthy and I won't get sick" seems a better coping strategy for getting through the day than, "the sky is falling."  But hey that's just me.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How about, "I'm healthy and as soon as the vaccine comes available, I will get it to keep myself healthy"?
                              gracerunner

Thank you, Trent. I am glad I read those ingredients and adverse reactions. There are residual amounts of formaldehyde, polyethylene, egg proteins, polymixin, neomycin. Each dose of the multi-dose version  contains mercury. Adverse reactions have included anaphylactic shock, headache, swelling, malaise, muscle aches, pain, redness, tenderness. No more comment from me as I am not well-versed on any of those ingredients and the possible effects of taking trace amounts. I only know about eggs and egg allergies. I know what my decision is now, and that is to have a long, private chat with my doctor about it.