Flu shot heresy (Read 2156 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A long private talk with your doc sounds right.

BTW, the mercury dose is substantially less than what a can of tuna contains.

How about, "I'm healthy and as soon as the vaccine comes available, I will get it to keep myself healthy"?

This is me.  I will do what I can to avoid getting it, and I'll get the vaccine when it's here.  I'll admit to being a little hesitant before reading this thread--just because I didn't have the facts.  I've never even had a flu shot--had the flu once as a child, but not again since.  I've been sort of indifferent about it in the past since I've stayed healthy all these years, but why take the chance?

Along for the Ride

Until there's enough vaccine available for everybody in real life and not just in theory, "I'm healthy and I won't get sick" seems a better coping strategy for getting through the day than, "the sky is falling."  But hey that's just me.

I agree with so much that was said on this thread - but Mike's statement is a good mantra to get through the day. We ran out of vaccine here as well. When it becomes available, will I get the shot? Probably.

But I will stand behind those in line that might need it more than I currently do. I.e. the nurses in the hospitals taking care of the H1N1 patients. The school teachers with half their classes out sick ...

It is undeniable that H1N1 is different than the yearly 'run of the mill' flu. But the media hype accentuates is nicely and freaks people out more than needed.  

Oh yeah - and I wash my hands way more these days.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

xor

The county just to the north of me (Snohomish County) received 30,000 doses this week and therefore set up 10 clinic locations today for free vaccinations from 9a until ???.  People started lining up at 3a.  Mind you, overnight we had a huge windstorm (with 70 mph gusts)... and people were outside standing in it.

At 8a, the clinic doctors were brought in to see if maybe they should open up early.  The crowd was apparently getting unruly.

I know all of this because it was reported breathlessly by our morning news, which then started with the 20 minute recurring update regarding how much vaccine was left.  "As of 9a, the location at so-and-so has 2,200 left!"

Damn, it's almost like the frenzy in Soylent Green.

None of this has anything to do with whether I will get the vaccine (of course I will) or if I believe the quackery (no I do not).

But crap on a cracker... the situation is bad, the situation will likely get worse, but yeah, we've crossed some kind of line or tipping point.  The swine flu has killed people.  Others have gotten through it.  We do not need to start whacking each other to get the vaccine now! dammit! now!  It is going to work out. It sucks that we don't have enough to go around for everybody today.  But we don't.  And we will be ok.

A Saucy Wench

We had 700 doses here today for a 10 am clinic and people from neighboring counties got up at 3, the line formed at 6.  I rode my bicycle through the pouring rain and stood outside in line for 2 hours to get my kids vaccinated.  They reduced the categories they were vaccinating so no one over 24 could get it unless pg.  Madness.  They were almost out of the shot when we got through but had some mist left.  They pretty much said dd could get mist or nothing as they needed to save the shots for the pg, under 2 and high risk.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Along for the Ride

I know all of this because it was reported breathlessly by our morning news, which then started with the 20 minute recurring update regarding how much vaccine was left.  "As of 9a, the location at so-and-so has 2,200 left!"

Damn, it's almost like the frenzy in Soylent Green.

But crap on a cracker... the situation is bad, the situation will likely get worse, but yeah, we've crossed some kind of line or tipping point.  The swine flu has killed people.  Others have gotten through it.  We do not need to start whacking each other to get the vaccine now! dammit! now!  It is going to work out. It sucks that we don't have enough to go around for everybody today.  But we don't.  And we will be ok.

EXACTLY. This type of media hype makes it appear worse than it is. I wonder how many people watched the news this morning and packed up their kids to hurry to the clinics. 

WA state news are funny to begin with - very rarely do the local news stations report world news. It is always WA news. And if there is nothing to report, they resort to randomness. Seriously - sometimes in the winter they report live from Stevens or Snoqualmie pass. Because it snows. They point the camera at their boots and shuffle around in the snow...

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Best Present Ever

A long private talk with your doc sounds right.

BTW, the mercury dose is substantially less than what a can of tuna contains.

also, what's in the vax is ethyl mercuy, tuna is methyl mercury.  My friend the toxicologist tells me there are good reasons to be less concerned about the tiny does of ethyl mercury in vaccinations vs what's in the tuna.  On a side note, we've actually switched to eating only alaskan salmon (in the pouches, not cans, just to bypass the whole BPa issue) instead of tuna, just because it makes it easier to not  have to keep track of how much the kids have eaten in a week. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Mercury content in fish.

Mercury content in vaccines.

Note that a single dose of the H1N1 vaccine has <1 mcg per single 0.5 mL dose.  A can of tuna has an average 0.118 ppm of mercury (and a maximum of 0.852 ppm), which translates to 20.06 mcg per 6 oz tuna.  That is, a single can of tuna has more than 20 times the mercury content of the vaccine AND contains a more dangerous form of mercury.

bon appetit!

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned on this thread (there's a lot to read), but an interesting side effect of the H1N1 incident here in New Zealand is an overall decrease in flu deaths over out winter flu season this year.

We have had H1N1 deaths of otherwise healthy people, and our hospital critical care facilities were very stretched, but there was very high public awareness of flu. When we went through the peak of our winter flu season there was no vaccine so the only defences we had were social and personal hygiene. There was more public acceptance of people taking time off work (and school) if they felt "off", and lots more regular hand washing.

The generally accepted theory is that social & personal hygiene awareness actually helped prevent people getting regular flu (as well as H1N1) - and saved the lives of lots of people who did not get a regular flu shot.

Running - cheaper than therapy

Imminent Catastrophe

A sad reminder of life before vaccines (in this case, polio, but it's germane). We don't worry about this kind of thing today because of vaccines.

If the anti-vax folks get their way, we'll be back to those days.

Footnote: June Middleton died on November 1, after 60 years in the "iron lung". 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Question for the medical types: Flu mist is contraindicated for asthmatics.  But if that's the only available vaccine wouldn't that be less risky to an asthmatic than actually getting the flu?  The only ones eligible for the injectable vaccine in our county are pregnant women.  All that's left is the mist, which my PCP has...but I've read that it's not recommended for anyone with breathing issues.  But what's more of a risk--the flu vaccine mist or actually getting the flu?

Also...just read that a cat in Iowa has tested positive for H1N1, so now an added concern is keeping from bringing the virus to our 4 pets.  Our eldest kitty is 16 and already on meds for her thyroid.  I doubt she would survive the flu.  I would feel absolutely horrible if I got sick and it led to illness or death to one of our pets. Sad

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Question for the medical types: Flu mist is contraindicated for asthmatics.  But if that's the only available vaccine wouldn't that be less risky to an asthmatic than actually getting the flu?

First, do no harm.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

First, do no harm.

Meaning...?  So is the recommendation against the mist because it would likely cause harm, but not being vaccinated might not cause harm?  Which would be the lesser evil?  I'm thinking I might take my chances with the flu mist, since my PCP has it.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The first job of medicine is to avoid causing harm.  If we know there is a good chance that the mist can cause you to get sick because you have asthma, then we don't give it.  There is still a chance you may get flu while waiting for the shot to come available, but that chance is lower than the chance of you getting sick from the mist AND giving the mist is an active event (we actively cause harm rather than passively risk harm).
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Asthma/Recurrent Wheezing
                                FluMist should not be administered to any individuals with asthma or children <5 years of age with recurrent wheezing, because of the potential for increased risk of wheezing post-vaccination, unless the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks.

Do not administer FluMist to individuals with severe asthma or active wheezing because these individuals have not been studied in clinical trials.

~~~~~

I do not have SEVERE asthma.  IMO the potential benefits DO outweigh the risks.  I think I will ask my doc what he thinks.  It's kind of nuts that I am considered "at risk," but I cannot get the injectable vaccine anywhere in my county, even though the mist is pretty readily available.

~ Sarah Kay