Flu shot heresy (Read 2156 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sounds like you need to have a conversation with your doc Big grin
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The first job of medicine is to avoid causing harm.  If we know there is a good chance that the mist can cause you to get sick because you have asthma, then we don't give it.  There is still a chance you may get flu while waiting for the shot to come available, but that chance is lower than the chance of you getting sick from the mist AND giving the mist is an active event (we actively cause harm rather than passively risk harm).

Ok, that's what I thought you meant.  My kid's best friend just had H1N1 and one of my closest friend's kids have just had it, so it's gotten a bit too close for comfort.  And from what I am reading it looks like we may not get more injectables in MI (at least from what I read in the Detroit Free Press in the last day or so).  It may end up being mist or nothing--every place doing the vaccine in our county states in bold that the shots are ONLY for pregnant women.  Everyone else gets mist...which kind of leaves anyone with breathing issues in the lurch, even though we are considered an at-risk group.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sounds like you need to have a conversation with your doc Big grin

Ha, yep.  Maybe he can smuggle some injections in or something, if all else fails. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

ymmv

the shots are ONLY for pregnant women. 

Sounds like you need to have a conversation with your husband Big grin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sounds like you need to have a conversation with your husband Big grin

It's about 6 years too late for that to work.  But I have heard reports of women lying and saying they are preggers in order to get the vaccine.  Of course my OB/gyn office already knows that my baby factory is closed, so that wouldn't fly with them. 

~ Sarah Kay

Best Present Ever

My kids got the vaccine at school today.  Parents weren't supposed to show up, but of course I did because my littlest is super needle phobic.  I stood quietly in a corner and watched.  He was fine until the actual getting the shot part of getting the shot.  I was called over.   He said he didn't want it.  I said it was important, wrapped both legs around his legs and wrapped both arms around his arms and torso.  He kicked and pushed himself (and me) off the little chair we were on.  The nurse, bless her heart, got on her knees and got the shot in fast.  I looked up from the floor and 6 -- six -- people were looking down at us.  Q (my little guy) was fine in a couple of minutes and happily went back to class.  I'm not sure the adults are over it yet.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dane just got both vaccinations this AM.  Flu shot in the arm, H1N1 mist.  He has to go back for a booster on the mist in a month.

Man, giving that child a shot is something, though...I had to hold his arms down.  It was like trying to give a shot to an octopus.  He saw the needle (relatively short, really fine) and kinda freaked..."you're going to use THAT?!"   Good lord, he has his dad's stupid aversion to needles.

It's really a good thing that males don't give birth.  I'd never have a chance at becoming a grandma if my son had to be the one to birth a kid.  Sheesh. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

So "HTFU" doesn't work on him?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No, but I said to the nurse that I didn't think he'd ever have anything to do with painful contact sports and she very dryly said "yeah, I can see him with a future in acting."  Good gawd, if she only knew!  There are a few people on RA who have met him IRL and I'm sure would concur with the nurse. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

xor

IRL is my brother.

--srsly

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

IRL is my brother.

--srsly

Well, I haven't met your IRL IRL.  I haven't met SRL IRL, either. Sad

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Here's a fun fact.  This is an actual fact that I am not lying about.

In real life, I have three step brothers.  One is actually named Steve (first name) Ray (last name).

There is an actual Stevie Ray in my family.

And my stepmom's initials are SRL.

Ok then.

Best Present Ever

I tried that on both my kids for various things.  They are unmoved by the notion that they should just persist through pain.  Actually, it's not that it doesn't motivate them. They are horrified at the idea that they should do something difficult or unpleasant.  My stories about slogging barefoot through the snow, studying by lamplight, subsisting on hard crusts of bread, and being grateful for the opportunities I was given, are equally unmotivating.  Kids today.  <sigh>

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I tried that on both my kids for various things.  They are unmoved by the notion that they should just persist through pain.  Actually, it's not that it doesn't motivate them. They are horrified at the idea that they should do something difficult or unpleasant.  My stories about slogging barefoot through the snow, studying by lamplight, subsisting on hard crusts of bread, and being grateful for the opportunities I was given, are equally unmotivating.  Kids today.  <sigh>

Yeah, pain was never something that bothered me much.  I don't recall ever really minding shots and actually enjoyed going to the dentist.  Dane has a real aversion to these things, which I completely blame on his dad.  DH is a big baby about needles and avoided the dentist until he required a root canal.  What a dumbass. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My kids got the vaccine at school today.  Parents weren't supposed to show up, but of course I did because my littlest is super needle phobic.  I stood quietly in a corner and watched.  He was fine until the actual getting the shot part of getting the shot.  I was called over.   He said he didn't want it.  I said it was important, wrapped both legs around his legs and wrapped both arms around his arms and torso.  He kicked and pushed himself (and me) off the little chair we were on.  The nurse, bless her heart, got on her knees and got the shot in fast.  I looked up from the floor and 6 -- six -- people were looking down at us.  Q (my little guy) was fine in a couple of minutes and happily went back to class.  I'm not sure the adults are over it yet.

I'm glad it turned out OK.  That's funny you weren't supposed to show up.  In our district, parents HAVE to be present for kids 12 and under.  So I will pick up DD11 from Girl Scouts at 5:00 and then run her over to the high school for her shot.