Flu shot heresy (Read 2156 times)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Ooh, I like that one!

+1 Could have used that this morning while dragging him into the car to go to school.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
    DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

"Fair is a place where hogs compete for ribbons"

I'm not sure I could say this with a straight face!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Try my fave: "Fair is a place where hogs compete for ribbons"

That's even better than my Dad's "Where on your birth certificate does it say life is fair?". 

My family generally shot down all further conversation with this gem, "we'll bring you back to Morgan Memorial/Goodwill box where we got you if we hear anymore... there are plenty of grateful children just waiting for us to come and get them..."

At our lab meeting today - we decided to pick our PI's brain about H1N1. 45 minutes and an entire whiteboard later, this is the knowledge I bring you. Don't ask me to explain it again...

Ro = Bi*C*D

B = Infectivity rate

C = number of contacts

D = Duration of infectivity

Somehow - that all adds up to childcare. Take your kids out of daycare because THAT, dear people, is the problem.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Somehow - that all adds up to childcare. Take your kids out of daycare because THAT, dear people, is the problem.

School ≠ childcare, but that's where most of the kids who are getting sick are getting sick.  Though I would say that the problem is a virus that is very contagious amongst a population with lots of people who have no immunity.  Even if there were no schools and no daycares people would share the virus in restaurants, stores, offices, etc.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

School ≠ childcare, but that's where most of the kids who are getting sick are getting sick.  Though I would say that the problem is a virus that is very contagious amongst a population with lots of people who have no immunity.  Even if there were no schools and no daycares people would share the virus in restaurants, stores, offices, etc.

The most at-risk population (according to my PI) is kids ages 5-14. Kids have a lot less inhibitions about touching, hugging, sneezing on each other, etc... than adults do. So his point was that the factor C (number of contacts) is much higher among younger kids - and so the kids (who have no immunity like you said) are spreading it to the adults. So in that sense - school is pretty much the same thing as childcare.

Oh - and he also said he never leaves the house without Theraflu haha.

A Saucy Wench

So we should all homeschool?  I think the number of lives saved from flu deaths would be replaced by homicide and suicide deaths.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

AnneCA

And here I thought my public transit commute was likely the most contagious part of the day.  Turns out it's hugging my children!

That kids are vectors is not at all unique to H1N1.  There are still good reasons to send them to group situations (school or daycare). 

So we should all homeschool?  I think the number of lives saved from flu deaths would be replaced by homicide and suicide deaths.

hey - that's not a bad idea. Smile

i'm just passing along the information here people. don't kill the messenger.

i personally think all the hype surrounding H1N1 is sort of like the hype surrounding global warming. It's not that it's not a problem - but it's really not something we need to get seriously freaked out about just yet...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Or cirrhosis of the liver from being driven to drink.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

All three of my kids have gotten the vaccine now, so maybe we'll be safe.  I hope!

Sorry, homeschooling is not an answer. We are homeschooling and guess what, both my son and I got H1N1 and were miserable for a couple of weeks. And as far as homicide and suicide... no comment...

I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

Best Present Ever

The most at-risk population (according to my PI) is kids ages 5-14. Kids have a lot less inhibitions about touching, hugging, sneezing on each other, etc... than adults do. So his point was that the factor C (number of contacts) is much higher among younger kids - and so the kids (who have no immunity like you said) are spreading it to the adults. So in that sense - school is pretty much the same thing as childcare.

Oh - and he also said he never leaves the house without Theraflu haha.

the idea that vaccination of school aged kids would substantially decrease seasonal flu across the population is pretty well accepted.  Older folks don't respond to the vaccine as well as kids, and kids are the main vector for speading the virus through the population.  Japan had years of  mass vaccination of kids then stopped the program because of costs, so there was a nice natural experiment on a large population.   During the years of school vaccination programs, flu morbidity and mortality in the elderly was substantially lower. 

mikeymike

Since it would be wrong to just let this thread fizzle out, I'll now tell my personal flu-like-symptoms story.  My 12 year old daughter just got home from Nature's Classroom--some hippie program where the 7th graders get on busses and go out to the Berkshiers and stay in some cabin for three days and step in puddles and look at leaves and shit.  Anyway, she just got home this afternoon.  Yeah, 101.3 feever right now.  And rising.  Sa-weet.

Runners run