Flu shot heresy (Read 2156 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A senior girl in several of my son's classes got H1N1 this week, but so far he's fine. The vaccine should have taken effect by now.  I'm kind of surprised she got it, since they got the shots two and a half weeks ago.

That's why it's important for everyone to get it as soon as they can...sometimes vaccines don't work for some people, then their only protection is not having the virus floating around to get them ill.

Dane is running a low fever...100.7.  This is only the second fever he's ever had.  I think it's going to be a bumpy week or two in our house.  On the bright side, perhaps we will all be sick before Thanksgiving and not have to deal with illnesses when we are out-of-state visiting family.  Nothing worse than being sick away from one's own bed.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Best Present Ever

On the bright side, my last race for the year was yesterday, so at least now I won't have to sit-out any races if I get sick. Tongue

That's what really counts isn't it?  My friend stumbled and sprained her ankle while running a couple of weeks ago.  Everyone made appropriately empathic comments, helped get ice and whatnot, then pretty much in unison we all said "thank god you already ran your marathon." 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's what really counts isn't it?  My friend stumbled and sprained her ankle while running a couple of weeks ago.  Everyone made appropriately empathic comments, helped get ice and whatnot, then pretty much in unison we all said "thank god you already ran your marathon." 

It's so true!  I sat out one race after registering and it sucked.  Ever since then I rarely register before a race, unless it's the sort of thing that fills fast or has no race day registration.  And training for a marathon and being sick/injured on race day would be truly awful.  What a lot of work for nothing, especially if it's the last available race a person can run in a season.

~ Sarah Kay

I get a flu shot every year. Why? Because in the early 90s I got the flu during Christmas. Only surgery could be worse for how I felt. I did have a flu about two years ago when I had  started two jobs. I missed work from both of them. One job I was fired from. The other went full time. I don't remember if I got a flu shot that year.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I did have a flu about two years ago when I had  started two jobs. I missed work from both of them. One job I was fired from. The other went full time. I don't remember if I got a flu shot that year.

2 years I got the flu after having the shot, too.  That was the year that the medical community pretty much admitted that the predicted strains had been off.  So you may have gotten it, but not had full immunity to the bugs that were floating around.

BTW, I think Trent has a pseudonym...

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I got my shot as soon as my PCP had it for at-risk groups.  DS gets his second dose of the nasal mist next week, and in our area they are gradually making the vax available for anyone who wants it.  I need to make sure DH is aware of that.  It would really suck if he were sick in time for our Vegas trip at the end of the month.

It really seems like the recent wave of infections had dissipated in our area, but that's interesting that they predict a 3rd bout in Jan.  I'm still questioning whether I got my seasonal flu shot too early (late Sept., IIRC) and should get a "booster" of that...I can't get a straight answer on that depending upon who I ask.

~ Sarah Kay

Giant Flaming Dork

I had an interesting experience...  DDs got their nasal booster this evening and I was offered a shot...  The only stipulation - I had to have some kind of medical issue. After I said no, the nurse said, "Are you sure you don't have anything?  Diabetes?  Do you take care of any one that's older than 64? ...etc"  It felt like she was pushing me to get it.

It was very tempting to lie, but I didn't.  I'm wondering if I did the right thing.  It was just before the clinic closed.

How long do those vaccines last?  Could they be used tomorrow?

http://xkcd.com/621/

A Saucy Wench

They still do not have it here for the healthy adult.  I need to check in with the pediatrician to see if they have it and if they are doing the 2nd round or not.  Or if they have seasonal yet.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mikeymike

Just sayin and all.

So 10,000 out of 50,000,000 or a .02% mortality rate.  Weird that both the deaths and the overall number are such nice round numbers.  I mean to have 50 million exactly, what are the odds?

Makes me wonder if they're including my wife, and daughters in that count.  Nobody came to our house or anything, though in the middle of the night someone drew a pig on our front door in blood so clearly the word got out.  But I do wonder how they got to that number.  It's almost like they took a wild-ass guess, but that couldn't be.  Federal Health officials wouldn't do that and I'm sure the New York Times wouldn't publish an inflammatory headline like 10,000 DEATHS FROM SWINE FLU, RUN FOR THE HILLS MOTHERFUCKERS unless they were really, really sure that was accurate.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

"almost 10,000"

English is hard.

Prince of Fatness

Makes me wonder if they're including my wife, and daughters in that count.  Nobody came to our house or anything, though in the middle of the night someone drew a pig on our front door in blood so clearly the word got out.  But I do wonder how they got to that number.  It's almost like they took a wild-ass guess, but that couldn't be.  Federal Health officials wouldn't do that and I'm sure the New York Times wouldn't publish an inflammatory headline like 10,000 DEATHS FROM SWINE FLU, RUN FOR THE HILLS MOTHERFUCKERS unless they were really, really sure that was accurate.

There's nothing like starting your day off with a good laugh.  Thank you.

Not at it at all. 

Hey, nice marmot!

I'm sure the New York Times wouldn't publish an inflammatory headline like 10,000 DEATHS FROM SWINE FLU, RUN FOR THE HILLS MOTHERFUCKERS unless they were really, really sure that was accurate.

Of course the times wouldn't publish such a headline.  It would do little but incite panic and panic-stricken people rarely take the time from being panicked to buy a newspaper.  That's just silly.

However, if you go back to the article, you'll see the actual headline reads "10,000 DEATHS FROM H1N1 FLU.  WHAT NOW, BITCHES?!"  They wouldn't say swine flu since the pork industry is a major sponsor of the times and the addition of "What now, bitches?!" makes the headline far less scary and more like a challenge.  Like the whole world's at one giant bar, everyone's had a few, and swine flu just called your mamma fat.  You're not just gonna let swine flu talk about your mamma like that, are you?  Hell no you're not!  Now you get your ass over there and you kick swine flu square in the nuts!  WHAT NOW, BITCHES?!

"WHAT NOW, BITCHES?!", quite possibly the greatest philosophical question of our day.  Bravo to the NYT!  Bravo.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

mikeymike

"almost 10,000"

English is hard.

Tell it to the Times.  It doesn't say "almost" in the headline.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Tell it to the Times.  It doesn't say "almost" in the headline.

Oh.  Where was the "50,000,000" in the headline?  I'm lost.