Flu shot heresy (Read 2156 times)

Feeling the growl again

Australian anti-vaccination crackpot Meryl Dorey (kind of like the Aussie version of Jenny McCarthy, but not hot):

"I want to help Haiti, but I don't want the money going towards vaccines, so UNICEF and Red Cross are out."

Exposure he unvaccinated kids/relative to smallpox or polio and see what tune she sings.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I won't be getting any flu vaccines anytime soon.  That might be be because when I was 18 I had what was described as encephalitis due to an autoimmune reaction to the flu and when I was 23 had what was described as meningitis due to an autoimmune reaction to the flu.  I don't remember a combined total of about 2 weeks of my life, but from what I've been told that might be a good thing because supposedly I don't enjoy spinal taps (although I do like the movie) and I had a whole bunch of them, all of which fortunately occurred during that don't remember anything time frame.

It's actually kind of interesting because I was conscious but had complete amnesia during each of the times I had this, but the second time I had it I remembered everything that was going on the first time and believed I was in Rhode Island Hospital with encephalitis, even though I was in Minneapolis with meningitis, and when they said I was getting a spinal tap I've been told I REALLY remembered what that was like.  Supposedly I got extremely violent in my attempts to prevent it and needed to be held down by a bunch of security people.  The second time I had it I don't remember anything from the time I tried to slide down the kids slide in the emergency room waiting room (they actually thought I was on drugs for some reason) and when I was asked what I thought the needle disposal container on the wall in my room was and I said that it must be where they threw away the used kitty litter (don't know where that one came from).  But I guess I had been talking to people all along, and that was when I just "woke up" and remember everything after that but nothing before.

Kind of interesting, but something I have no desire to repeat if I can avoid it.  The neurologist who treated me for the most recent case told me that he was a big proponent of flu vaccines, but in my case would recommend against them. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm not sure I understand.  You became severely ill as the result of infections with influenza on two occasions and so your neurologist has recommended against taking a vaccine that could prevent you from getting influenza in the future?  That does not make sense to me.  It seems you would want to do everything possible in your case to prevent future infections with influenza.

As I understand it, the immune system reacts similarly to actually being infected by the flu as it does to being given the vaccine and that's why vaccines work.  Neither time did I actually get the flu.  I got the sniffles, fought it off, then a couple of days later was the first time carried to the emergency room unconscious throwing up and shitting myself, and the second time it was caught early, and I was only acting like someone who took the brown acid at Woodstock. 

My type of reaction is extremely rare.  Much more rare than dying of the flu.  I'm not saying that flu vaccines are bad.  If I didn't have my medical history then I would put my odds on that getting a flu vaccine is the safer choice, and if I had young children then I would probably take the risk and get a flu vaccine anyway to prevent myself from infecting them.  I think that anti-vaccine people are a bunch of crackpots, especially when it comes to things like smallpox and the like.  But there are a small number of instances where certain people are best off not getting vaccinated, and I have been told I'm one of them, by a doctor who said that he tells everyone they should get a flu shot, except for me.

MrH

Infamous cheerleader who claimed the vaccine harmed her now speaks with an Australian accent. Poor woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ6jDbOaRZo

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Imminent Catastrophe

Los Angeles Times op-ed

"Childhood diseases once mostly eradicated are making a comeback. And children are dying."

Yep.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hey, nice marmot!

The saga continues...

Family to receive $1.5M+ in first ever vaccine-autism court award

Personally, I'm surprised and confused by this.  Nobody's saying that the vaccine caused her autism.  Everyone agrees that an undiagnosed mitochondrial disorder along with the vaccine resulted in autism.  So why does the company have to write a check?  Are they liable for how their vaccine interacts with a condition that NOBODY knew the girl had?

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

The saga continues...

Personally, I'm surprised and confused by this.  Nobody's saying that the vaccine caused her autism.  Everyone agrees that an undiagnosed mitochondrial disorder along with the vaccine resulted in autism.  So why does the company have to write a check?  Are they liable for how their vaccine interacts with a condition that NOBODY knew the girl had?

If there were no warnings of such a risk then by the law they would be held responsible.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Heh.  Penn and Teller on anti-vaccination.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Everyone agrees that an undiagnosed mitochondrial disorder along with the vaccine resulted in autism.  So why does the company have to write a check?  Are they liable for how their vaccine interacts with a condition that NOBODY knew the girl had?

Eggshell Plaintiff:

This rule holds one liable for all consequences resulting from his or her tortious (usually negligent) activities leading to an injury to another person, even if the victim suffers an unusually high level of damage (e.g. due to a pre-existing vulnerability or medical condition). The term implies that if a person had a skull as delicate as the shell of an egg, and a tortfeasor who was unaware of the condition injured that person's head, causing the skull unexpectedly to break, the defendant would be held liable for all damages resulting from the wrongful contact ...

The doctrine is applied in all areas of torts - intentional torts, negligence, and strict liability cases - as well as in criminal law. There is no requirement of physical contact with the victim - if a trespasser's wrongful presence on the victim's property so terrifies the victim that he has a fatal heart attack, the trespasser will be liable for the damages stemming from his original tort. The foundation for this rule is based primarily on policy grounds. The courts do not want the accused to rely on the victim's own vulnerability to avoid liability.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Menace to Sobriety

"Childhood diseases once mostly eradicated are making a comeback. And children are dying."

Yep.

Natural selection?

Just unfortunate the kids have to suffer the consequences.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

that was too awesome for words. Smile 

AnneCA

The saga continues...

It's not the company writing the check -- the award came from tribunals established by the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_court  It is also not an award for a vaccine causing autism.  To quote from the opinion, "petitioners [the parents] are entitled to compensation due to the significant aggravation of [child's] pre-existing mitochondrial disorder based on an MMR vacine table presumptive injury of encephalopathy, which eventually manifested as a chronic encephalopathy with features of autism spectrum disorder and a complex partial seizure disorder as a sequela."  No one has ever argued that near-universal vaccination is risk-free.  There are children who will be injured by vaccines - the point is that the morbidity/mortality rate from vaccines is materially lower than the morbidity/mortality rate of the underlying diseases. And, when adverse reaction occur (scientifically provable adverse reactions), those families are compensated, and these "vaccine courts" are the process through which that is administered. 

FastTalkingFatty

brilliant and don't forget we adults can get boosters that will help herd immunity and save the babies.

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/

xor

I am a booster.

One of you will get that.