What online running store do you order from? (Read 389 times)

bluerun

Super B****

My local guy(s) never stock lightweight trainers, and always charge full retail -- 40-80% over what I can get on closeouts online.  I've bought there when I needed to go try on new models....I'm not one to use their time as a fitting store then go buy online....but frankly the stores around here do a poor job of stocking shoes (for me) and even clothes.  I walk down to a place from work to buy Body Glide and Gu...and once actually found a shirt I liked there...but other than that it's been years since I lived near what I considered a really solid running store (I liked both of them in Ann Arbor).

After a couple times driving half an hour to a store owned by Bob Kennedy only to find that all they could do was order my shoes for me...and I'd have to burn gas to drive a half hour back there to pick them up...and pay a lot more in the end....I've gone online.

I am happy for people that have good local stores.

This.  I'm not really lacking for local stores -- I'm in NYC, after all -- but sometimes they don't have the color I want, or the price is ridiculous.  All things being equal, I'd rather buy it at my LRS, but if that's going to cost me double and I won't even get exactly what I want?  That would be stupid of me.

But if I don't know what I want, and I go there and they spend time helping me find something, I'm not going to say, "Thanks for your help" and then turn around and buy that exact item online.  I would just buy it on the spot.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'm not really lacking for local stores -- I'm in NYC, after all -- but sometimes they don't have the color I want, or the price is ridiculous.  All things being equal, I'd rather buy it at my LRS, but if that's going to cost me double and I won't even get exactly what I want?  That would be stupid of me.

But if I don't know what I want, and I go there and they spend time helping me find something, I'm not going to say, "Thanks for your help" and then turn around and buy that exact item online.  I would just buy it on the spot.

Agreed.  My team meets out of a running store each week for workouts and I'll buy things randomly there -like GUs, shorts, stuff to support them and sometimes shoes too if they have a good price- but if I can get it elsewhere and save a large, significant chunk, I have to.

I will say I send a LOT of people to one of the local stores here because the places is great for helping people determine which shoes/products they need, so it's great for newbies.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

dennrunner

I haven't seen shoefitr anywhere other than RunningWarehouse.  I've been able to experiment with different shoes and haven't had to return a pair for poor fit yet (~3 years).

holabirdsports also uses shoefitr and sells shoes for virtually the same price as runningwarehouse.

I, like others, usually buy the prior year discounted model from either of these online stores.

ultramarathon/triathlete

It's funny, back in HS XC having the best shoe in the most current color was as important as making it to the workouts (well, that might explain why my team sucked).

Nowadays I run WAY more, like it WAY more and wear whatever shoe I can find that's cheap/on sale.

Maybe it's because my parents stopped buying my shoes two decades ago (crap, I'm getting old), or maybe it's because I don't give a shit what the color is.  Or a combination.

If two shoes are the same price but different colors, sure, I'll go with the scheme I prefer, but I don't care or even know if it's the current year's newest one.  Funny how priorities change.  Last year's shoes for me all the way!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

also on the running warehouse front, the code FB15D gets 15% off any liquidation item, sometimes works for sale items as well but not often.  Makes for some really cheap liquidation shoes.

Running Warehouse all the way!.. and the FB15D discount on liquidation stuff is how I, like many others it seems, typically shop.

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

GC100k

I google around when the time comes.  Rank based on number of times I've purchased from them:

6pm

joesnewbalanceoutlet

eastbay (although it's been a few years)

runningwarehouse

ordered from RRS back in the catalog days and early in the internet age, but it's been years since I've found a good deal there.  I did get some mutant socks from there that lasted over 10 years even though the next batch, which I thought were the same, wore out as fast as any others.

LRS don't carry our family's size and I know more about what's available than they do.  I do buy a few trinkets there from time to time.

joescott

holabird and runningwarehouse.  And like The_Real_JZ said above, when you can get what you want on clearance and use that facebook discount code at runningwarehouse, that is the way to go.  I have purchased 4 pairs at a time that way before and saved a ton of ca$h.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Local shops are where it's it!

---------

I use Running Warehouse the most.

+1

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Running Warehouse. Their prices are great, their selection is great, and they don't annoy me with all that "VIP" nonsense.

When the Ghost 6 hits the liquidation list, I will be buying several pairs. Thanks for the promo codes!

"It's hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off, oh wo-oh!" - Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine) - Shake It Out

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Local shops are where it's it!

I would love to agree with you, but...  I live in one of the US running "meccas" in the mountainous southwest and there is but one running store.  I love it, they have a great running club, sponsor a few races, are super helpful in the store and in maintaining the "running community" here.  But they have a small selection of trail running shoes (in a place known for its' trails) and they almost never have what I want to try on in my size (men's ten) which means that I'm forced to go to second or third choices without even knowing how good what I actually wanted would have fit on my foot.  All at dead on MSRP pricing.  It's a bummer really.  I still by odds and ends like gels and whatnot from them and stop by every once in a while to see what new stock they do have in but runningwarehouse usually gets my shoe biz.

Would like to see a LRS weigh in here. I don't know how some can compete: I've seen, at my store, a pair of full-price NBs and the same model less than half at Marshall's about a half mile away.

I get 10% off at my LRS thru my running club affiliation. And I try to buy local, but I did get a model recently thru Amazon, where the shoe was ridiculously cheap - and my store had nothing like it.