Des Linden smashes 50K WR (Read 156 times)

bhearn

John Wood

Wow!

kcam

https://runningmagazine.ca/sections/runs-races/des-linden-smashes-50k-world-record-with-25954-run-in-oregon/?fbclid=IwAR3GQUUZnHjcJMyQhvf7dCMXQWnIabnD0HzLgndFHYtFksvSNR5H7RaD2s4

She ran 2:59:64, taking more than 7 minutes off the WR.

Woohoo!

Nice.  Can I use that time-keeping trick to get a sub-3 marathon?!  3:00:04 does in fact equal 2:59:64.   Typo - 2:59:54.  She kicked some butt out there today.  Congrats to Des.

That's about an 18minute 5K - 10 of those in a row.  Whew.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It's really strange seeing that specific time.  My PR for the marathon is 2:59 and change.  Realizing that her time is just seconds off mine is visceral.   And then realizing that she finished Sub-3 about FIVE MILES ahead of me, is fascinating.

The kid continues to be a marvel.  What incredible work she must put into this.  What grit.  I'm in awe.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

keeponrunning

Her time is literally less than half my 50k PR. Even accounting for difference in surfaces (mine have all been on fairly technical trails), that is incredible!!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Luciplay

I agree, that is crazy good. She is an inspiration.

This is a great.

big fan of her.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is about the only amazing and awesome thing related to MI, ATM, and I'm really happy to see it. She's truly incredible. I hope she's had her Covid vax and avoids a horrifying percentage of our state's population...her lungs are way too valuable.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zebano

Absurd and congrats to Des. I really hope she gets into longer races and especially more technical ones. It would also be neat to see her take a crack at something less technical like Comrades. I don't know how many people I've had the discussion with where they don't think the marathon elites can compete in ultras because it's somehow a different sport while I've maintained that running is running and the same things that make you good from 5k-marathon will allow you to race ultras competitively especially with a specific training block and the main reason they haven't is because the money just isn't there in the ultras.

edit: https://www.strava.com/activities/5122170611

Check out her splits on strava! What a stud.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Yooper3.1

This is about the only amazing and awesome thing related to MI, ATM . . . I hope she's had her Covid vax . . .

How about the tens of millions of vaccines that have come out of Pfizer's Kalamazoo plant?

The kid continues to be a marvel.  What incredible work she must put into this.  What grit.  I'm in awe.

+1

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Julia1971

This is about the only amazing and awesome thing related to MI, ATM, and I'm really happy to see it. She's truly incredible. I hope she's had her Covid vax and avoids a horrifying percentage of our state's population...her lungs are way too valuable.

<--- This gal who grew up in San Diego will just point out that she (and Meb) is originally from there.  We have less to brag about sports-wise so I like to bring it up whenever I can.  Smile

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

<--- This gal who grew up in San Diego will just point out that she (and Meb) is originally from there.  We have less to brag about sports-wise so I like to bring it up whenever I can.  Smile

To be fair Meb is originally from Eritrea.  He did move to San Diego when his family arrived in the US.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Julia1971

To be fair Meb is originally from Eritrea.  He did move to San Diego when his family arrived in the US.

True.  And, I wasn't specific about what I meant by "from".  Hmmm, in fact, why stop at where people are from or born.  Let's go with conceived.  Now, that would be good city bragging rights.  (Probably just for Las Vegas but still.)

+1. As a native of MI I am so proud she has remained there. Very happy for her to get this great result, she deserves it. Now on to the 100k WR...

2:52:16 (2018)