portland, maine (Read 589 times)

Hello Runners! Any good 8-10 mile routes that you like in Portland would be greatly appreciated... I have a free morning after a conference in two weeks. thanks in advance A

Recalculating...

PWL

Has been

Where are you staying?

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

at the holiday inn on Spring Street - right downtown near the Old Port I'm also pretty familiar with the basic surrounding area if I needed to drive a couple of miles to a great path...

Recalculating...

PWL

Has been

I haven't lived in Portland for a few years, and I wasn't running that much when I did live there, but I know there are some good routes. The Back Cove path is always a popular option. Here are a couple of others as well (I particularly like the Green Belt path in So Portland, right across the bridge). http://www.trails.org/map_files/existingtrails.html http://southportland.govoffice.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={682A92A4-2A3C-42C3-99FF-B3352283BD81}

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

thanks PWL I think I'll do 2 loops of the Back Cove EARLY so I can leave time for the mall and the asian food store A (food and clothes deprived in midcoast Maine)

Recalculating...

There are a lot of great runs in the area, especially if you are willing to drive a little. The audobon society has a trail off of frost street near Congress, if you want around 10 miles you could run over Tukey's Bridge from the Old Port (Washington Ave) and turn right onto Route 1 - follow that to Mackworth Island, run around that, and make your way back. Add a few miles around the Back Cove if you want. If you are willing to drive a little, There are some great trail runs at Bradbury (Pownal) and Pineland Farms (New Gloucester). Running over the Casco Bay Bridge can get you some good running in South Portland as well. One thing to be aware of is that a lot of the Eastern Prom trail is closed down due to construction or to parts of the trail being washed out in the Nor'Easter last April.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

OK I'll do a combo half of the back cove - I'll jump off and go down Veranda street to Mackworth Island and return and finish around the cove - about 9 miles good for my 8 mile (long run) this week Thanks guys

Recalculating...

PWL

Has been

Have fun! Smile