Running shoes for flat feet (Read 24 times)

Jdmac

Do you really need stability shoes if you have flat feet? And can you advice some racing shoes for this? I plan to race 10k and 5k this year.

My feet are flat as flat can be, and have been since I was a kid.

My summer running shoes are Brooks Addiction, my winter running shoes are Brooks Addrenaline ASR-GTX.  I have New Balance arch support insoles in both sets of shoes.  This combination has been working well for several years now.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Whether you wear stability shoes is not about your arches. It is about how your foot moves when you run.

Your shoe is there to work with your foot whether you pronate or supinate.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Jdmac

Haven't thought about arch support insoles. Years ago, I thought I have normal arches. I used a running shoe with a high arch and it gave me pain in that area when I run. I thought that having an arch support insole might do the same for me?

My feet are flat as flat can be, and have been since I was a kid.

My summer running shoes are Brooks Addiction, my winter running shoes are Brooks Addrenaline ASR-GTX.  I have New Balance arch support insoles in both sets of shoes.  This combination has been working well for several years now.

Jdmac

I'm planning to visit a running shop that can analyze my foot movement. Will testing a running shoe with and without using an arch support insole have different result? Since I suppose that having that support can help your foot from rolling inwards especially when you have flat feet

Whether you wear stability shoes is not about your arches. It is about how your foot moves when you run.

Your shoe is there to work with your foot whether you pronate or supinate.

If the regular arch "support" insole in a shoe is poking into your foot and making it uncomfortable to run, just taking out the insole might make the shoe a lot more comfortable. You might want to go a half size smaller; but definitely try some shoes on with the insole removed. Some brands like Skechers purposely make shoes that have a sockliner on the strobel board so you can use them with or without the insole.

As for gait and injury, it depends on your unique mechanical motion. The "goal" is to reduce lateral ankle movement during the gait, which can lead to some types of over-use injuries. Some people are extreme pronators yet have no related injuries.

Image result for running shoe construction diagram

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying