2022 Running Game *** Sign-ups Are Closed ** (Read 194 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I want to join, but I'm currently injured. Can you start the year injured, or is the expectation that you're logging mileage to start the year and the IR is only for the future?

I think you would need to request IR after the first week of competition (essentially, you need a week in the game with 0 miles before going on IR). Personally, I'd be fine with someone on my team starting out the year injured if they communicated it up front. It's much easier to go into the week knowing hey, we need to cover for X, so any extra you can do helps.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I want to join, but I'm currently injured. Can you start the year injured, or is the expectation that you're logging mileage to start the year and the IR is only for the future?

I think as long as your first week is a 0 mileage week that the normal rules apply. After the 0 week you'd get put on IR.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The both nailed it. This game is an ultra, not a sprint. It's a long year. Definitely let your team captain know you need to take zero week in the first week and they will pass that information on to me so you can be moved to IR after the first set of results. We all know injuries ignore the calendar. You need IR when you need IR. That's why it's there. We would rather have people start the year on IR and come back healthy than not join the game bc they are starting the year injured. This game is about helping people run consistently, be a bit competitive at times if they want and enjoy a bit of camaraderie with the rest of the running community here!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Can you register in both - in a Team and as an Individual?

Nope, registration requires you to choose.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Great thanks everyone. Obviously injuries make the goal prediction very tough as I'm not sure how long it will take me to get back, but I'll do my best to put something reasonable!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The both nailed it. This game is an ultra, not a sprint. It's a long year. Definitely let your team captain know you need to take zero week in the first week and they will pass that information on to me so you can be moved to IR after the first set of results. We all know injuries ignore the calendar. You need IR when you need IR. That's why it's there. We would rather have people start the year on IR and come back healthy than not join the game bc they are starting the year injured. This game is about helping people run consistently, be a bit competitive at times if they want and enjoy a bit of camaraderie with the rest of the running community here!

I think every year I've been on a team where someone starts on IR, then is back in the game before Feb. It's totally cool, as long as a player doesn't just ghost their team from 1/1. The best teams I've been on have all been about communication (and having John Wood on the team, ha!!).

~ Sarah Kay

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Great thanks everyone. Obviously injuries make the goal prediction very tough as I'm not sure how long it will take me to get back, but I'll do my best to put something reasonable!

You can always adjust in June. I would probably set a lower goal if you are going to start the year on IR because you'll be able to come off IR sooner if you have a goal you can hit. Then adjust up midyear when you are healed and running well.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

catwhoorg

Labrat

I will be joining, just trying to decide team or individual

I miss the team aspect, but really have been so erratic in being able to get to run during the pandemic that I wonder if it would be fair to the team.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I will be joining, just trying to decide team or individual

I miss the team aspect, but really have been so erratic in being able to get to run during the pandemic that I wonder if it would be fair to the team.

Would being on a team push you to be more consistent? Either way, love to see you get involved in the game again!

I wish I could say I see an end to the pandemic and a more normal 2022 but I live in a place where the doctors are talking about a possible 5th wave in January. *sigh

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

There is also the option to change the goal midway through the year. I BELIEVE it is around 5 or 6 months into the game, but perhaps I'm wrong. So if you start injured, and come back in March you could possibly adjust accordingly. CanadianMeg could explain it better.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I will go with the optimism that I'm running in January. If I go IR, I can adjust my goal downwards.

Looking forward to it! Is there any sort of prize for the winners? A dancing banana? Extra smiles from Eric?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

There is also the option to change the goal midway through the year. I BELIEVE it is around 5 or 6 months into the game, but perhaps I'm wrong. So if you start injured, and come back in March you could possibly adjust accordingly. CanadianMeg could explain it better.

Go read through all the sticky threads in the 2022 forum after you sign up. The information is all there. All runners get one goal change before June 30. Your goal will be the same through the whole year unless you change it midyear. It is not a pace bunny. You goal in the game does not decrease; it is not a pace bunny.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

We're closing in on 50 people. Come on, runners! Join up! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Go read through all the sticky threads in the 2022 forum after you sign up. The information is all there. All runners get one goal change before June 30. Your goal will be the same through the whole year unless you change it midyear. It is not a pace bunny. You goal in the game does not decrease; it is not a pace bunny.

Am I remembering that in earlier iterations of the game that it did work like a pace bunny? Which was really rough if a person became injured or sick for more than a couple of days. It meant playing catch-up for the rest of the year, which was rough if a person already set a challenging goal.

~ Sarah Kay

Half Crazy K 2.0

Am I remembering that in earlier iterations of the game that it did work like a pace bunny? Which was really rough if a person became injured or sick for more than a couple of days. It meant playing catch-up for the rest of the year, which was rough if a person already set a challenging goal.

Yes. And on 5he opposite side, if you adjusted your yearly goal down to what you were going to run, the weekly goal for green became very low for some people. It changed in either 2019 or 2020.