Math Nerds - distance calc, track with gates (Read 949 times)

mikeymike

What Clive said.  Really it's generally just lane 1 that gets destroyed.

Runners run

TP Track

Here's a nice pic of the track, showing the gate, in case anyone wanted a visual.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      npaden

Oversimplified, but if you cut in to lane 1 by the time you got to the corner, you ran an extra 4.88 meters for each gate, for a total of 19.52 meters extra on each lap.

I think you could round it to 20 and probably be pretty darn close.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

TP Track

Here's a nice pic of the track, showing the gate, in case anyone wanted a visual.

How good of a hurdler are you?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

#artbydmcbride

Run in lane 1, jump hurdle over the gates.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That'd have to be some hellacious public use, considering the damage being caused by spiked feet and faster running in lanes 1-4.

Yep.

And that is what happened at a nearby track.  Now it is entirely closed to public use. Used to be just lanes 5-8.

mikeymike

Yep.

And that is what happened at a nearby track.  Now it is entirely closed to public use. Used to be just lanes 5-8.

Who owns it?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Feeling the growl again

Yep.

I'm suspicious that the damage may not have been caused by runners.  Bikes and rollerblades are a lot harder on them.  That or they saw a level of use far in excess of how I've ever seen the public using a track.

Open tracks are getting harder to find.  The Univ of Mich track used to be open and I had to stop using that when they put similar gates up.

As for justifying the gates, at least then the heavy use is split between lanes 1 and 5.  It should still lead to a longer effective life before any single lane is worn out.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TP Track

I was assuming the gate was at the end of the straight away, but the straightaway here is less than the 80 whatever meters I mentioned in my earlier response.  Now the triangle that Spaniel mentioned makes more sense to me (but I haven't re-looked at the math he put together).  I couldn't figure out the right angle he was talking about within the message he wrote since I was assuming that the gate was at the start of the corner.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

A Saucy Wench

People let their kids ride their bikes on tracks here all the time. The good track with the gates doesnt seem to get that abuse, the gates seem to add a reminder that this is not really public property and the track needs to be treated well.  The unspoken message is "you arent REALLY welcome, but we'll let it slide if you dont abuse it".   People tend to take care of things that look like they are taken care of.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

How good of a hurdler are you?

Or a limboer?  Sweet bongo of the Congo!  You could train to be the next Hermes Conrad...or would that be the first Hermes Conrad?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Some tracks have staggers for up to four turns, which would give you up to 800m using the marked staggers.

I think:

• 1-turn staggers for the 200 and for longer races that break to the inside after one turn
                          • 2-turn staggers for the 400
                          • 3-turn staggers for I forget what -- maybe 4x400 with the first runner staying laned and the second runner breaking to the inside after one turn?
                          • 4-turn staggers for 4x200 fully laned

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.