Tell me why I should take this job in Seattle..... (Read 785 times)

Looking gooooood ;p

...I have been approached with the offer of a job based in Seattle which is a very big move from Reading, UK. I have never been there, though I have been to many other US cities on business, tell me why it would be a great place to live/take my wife and teenage daughters to/work in/run..... ....I know some of you must live there because there a several running routes there on this site.... Cheers, Phil
    The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....

Imminent Catastrophe

One of my favorite places. Seattle is a great place with a very active running scene, lots of culture and outdoor activities. I'd jump on that if I were you!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

It's beautiful. Especially if you like to be around water.

Runners run

The Pacific Northwest is gorgeous - that includes British Columbia, Canada - only a short trip over the border. A bit of rain? Sure, but hey, you're from the UK! No problem. Wink
            Because life is too short to pass up opportunities to experience different locations. I've not had the opportunity to get a work visa in order to live in another country, but I'd take it in a heartbeat. I have taken positions which have allowed me to live in every corner of the US however. Heck, I've moved 3,000 miles to take a position that paid me LESS money and no job security, just for the chance to live in a city I like. Hey, I know its a big pain in the arse to move, but its not like it takes a month on a steam ship to visit home, or to return if you don't like it. I think the month or so of hell it will take to move is worth the excitement and adventure of checking out a new place. Plus, Seattle is a great city. AND, if you get sick of your wife, your accent will attract all sorts of women. haha, j/k!

The voice of mile 18

don't know much about seattle except it had great music in the 90's, lots of coffee, and rain but some running guides: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/toolscontent/0,7156,s6-239-283-318-5384-0,00.html?toolName=Destinations http://www.runtheplanet.com/runningroutes/city.asp?c=3386256 also there is almost no cricket and we drive on the wrong side of the road.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Basically... run!

The Pacific Northwest is gorgeous - that includes British Columbia, Canada - only a short trip over the border. A bit of rain? Sure, but hey, you're from the UK! No problem. Wink
                I agree! And don't spread the word, but it doesn't actually rain as much as people like to say. Plus, the summer weather is awesome! The only drawback I think would have to be the traffic. I have not lived in any other large cities, so I don't know how it compares, but the scenic waterways are not nice to the millions of cars trying to cross them. As far as I've experienced, Seattle itself is a nice enough city, but the surrounding water/mountains/forests are beautiful and where I prefer to spend my time. There will be plenty for you and your family to do if you do decide to move!

Along for the Ride

I agree! And don't spread the word, but it doesn't actually rain as much as people like to say. Plus, the summer weather is awesome! The only drawback I think would have to be the traffic. I have not lived in any other large cities, so I don't know how it compares, but the scenic waterways are not nice to the millions of cars trying to cross them. As far as I've experienced, Seattle itself is a nice enough city, but the surrounding water/mountains/forests are beautiful and where I prefer to spend my time. There will be plenty for you and your family to do if you do decide to move!
                  ditto.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Member Since 2008

The weather is much like you are used to. It is gorgeous there. I am jealous.. And besides you would only be abot six hours from the run of your life in eugene...Hayward Field

Cryptic

hate to be the negative guy but you should know that seattle does have the highest suicide rate in the states unless something has changed recently. My best friend lives their however and loves it so take that for what it is worth. negativity over.
                        hate to be the negative guy but you should know that seattle does have the highest suicide rate in the states unless something has changed recently. My best friend lives their however and loves it so take that for what it is worth. negativity over.
                        Where did you find your info from? I'm from Seattle, born and raised and it may have been the highest sometime in my lifetime, I have a hard time believe it is now. Anyway GREAT PLACE!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Looking gooooood ;p

Thanks all....Let's just hope this offer comes to something now Cool
                          The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....
                          Jeffrey

I have never been there
                            You could take a quick trip out here and see for yourself (I think it's only about an 11 hour flight). Once you see the city ... you might get hooked!
                            tell me why it would be a great place to live/take my wife and teenage daughters to/work
                            Lets see. PROS: Sublime mountains, ocean vistas practically everywhere you look, relatively easy island access, wild king salmon, hiking, forests, beaches, bald eagles, camping galore, ferrys, great grocery stores/produce, relatively quiet, trees everywhere, terrific restaurants, short drive to Vancouver/Portland, short flight to San Francisco, practically perfect running weather year-round (ok - you have to enjoy some rain, wind and hills), beaches (not tropical-sexy but there are many beaches), awesome crumpet shop near Pike Place Market, great coffee shops, Puget Sound ... CONS: Somewhat expensive housing market (but cheap compared to San Fran and London), auto traffic is bad.