Half Marathon in Denver Area? (Read 538 times)

bratschtown

Any opinions on a half marathon in the spring/early summer in the Denver area? I was thinking either the Colfax, Rocky Mountain, or Platte River. Has anyone run any of these?
    I'm just finishing the second coat.
    db7

Colfax would not be MY first choice. It's all in town and not much scenery. Don't know about RM or PR. I ran the Horsetooth Half in Ft Collins this year. Great views and really good finish at New Belgium Brewery. Free BEER!!!! The weather in the spring can be fickle here so plan accordingly. Let me know if I can be helpful. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I ran the Georgetown/Idaho Springs HM last August. THAT was a great run, with a net altitude drop of 800 feet over the course. Lotsa goodies after the finish.
        db7

Georgetown is a great place. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

bratschtown

This will be my first half marathon (I've run one full--Grandma's '07). I was a little skittish about the looks of Horsetooth what with the hills and the no sports drinks at the water stops, but I might have to look into it further. I hadn't heard of the Georgetown to Idaho Springs half, so I'll have to research that one, too. Thanks fellas. Oh, and Trent, as a beginning marathoner would the Georgetown/Idaho Springs half be helpful to do during my training for the Denver Marathon in Oct.? Thanks.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Here is a website with info on teh Georgetown / Idaho Springs Half: http://www.halfmarathons.net/usa_half_marathons_colorado_georgetown_idaho_springs_half_marathon.html This is two months before your marathon, so the timing is reasonable. You should be running a couple of half marathons during your marathon training. They will sharpen your racing skills and give you experience. They will also help you predict your marathon finishing time and your goal pace. So go for it! How did you do at Grandmas? I used it as a long aerobic run, but had a good time. Well, except for the warm day.
              bratschtown

My only goals at Grandma's were to finish and to beat my little brother (also a 1st timer) and I did both, so I was pleased. I hurt my knee around mile 22 but finished in 5:08. Thanks again!
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That is a fine time for a first marathon given the heat at GM this year. Congrats! Did you enjoy? Sadly, not all marathons are as well done or as scenic as that one is.
                  db7

Horsetooth is very hilly at the start. I actulally walked most of the first mile. I used it as a training run and it was very good for that. The really nice thing is that the last 3/4 is flat. The water stops were good. Sports drinks at all stops. I ran with my camel bak and really didn't have to. There is also a half in Ft Collins in Sept. I think it used to be the easy street HM. I am planning to run that one. It may be too close to your Marathon though. DB

bratschtown

Yeah, despite all the pain I loved running Grandma's! I thought that once I ran this marathon then I would never have to run one again, but I caught the marathon bug and now I am getting back into running again somewhat seriously. db7: Horsetooth is sounding better. That might be a good race to use as motivation for the spring. Thanks for the help guys.