Denial ain't just a river in Egypt... (Read 997 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

news story I just don't get this quick-fix, "miracle drug" mentality. 4 years ago I was a 185# size 16. I knew how I got to that point from my HS graduation weight of ~120#s. I bloated up from eating too much (lots of late night pizzas and vending machine crap, fast food) and minimal exercise. In HS I ate a pretty healthy diet and was always involved in sports or PE. A drug didn't make me fat, so there was no logic that a drug would make my excess weight disappear, either. Today I am at ~135#s. I had actually gotten myself down to under 124#s for a short while, but my love for food didn't allow that to last long... Wink Maintaining 50#s of weight loss has not been easy, but eating sensibly and exercising have certainly been the "magic." I know that being diligent in my eating and exercise will get me to my goal of 123#s...it will happen, I just need to be more diligent about not overdoing it on what I eat. So how many of these folks who resort to quick fixes like drugs will see any weight loss last permanently? A mom I know had recently blogged that she was going to get more serious about her "diet," so she was ordering some $$ pill that was basically a blend of vitamins and herbs...lots of caffeine. That's not a diet, nor will it likely yield much loss...much less any permanent loss. She knows my story, has seen my before and after photos, and is aware that I run and lift weights at least 6 days/week. Is she in denial or simply lazy? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

"can produce gas with an oily discharge" is def. a side effect to be avoided. Gross!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"can produce gas with an oily discharge" is def. a side effect to be avoided. Gross!
        I know! And the way to avoid that is to avoid eating too much fat...well, seems to me that a person could accomplish the same thing by simply watching what they eat without the risk of that nasty side-effect. I guess that would be too easy, though. And now I can be paranoid that when I sit somewhere in a public place that the previous person to have occupied my spot may have had a leaky ass. Great.

~ Sarah Kay

It's really sad to read about the woman who wants to eat her cheesecake and just take a pill with it. I know a number of people on Lipitor with that same mentality. They could be taking way less dosage, but choose a high fat diet instead. People should take medication they need, but it shouldn't be an excuse to not make as many healthy changes to their lifestyles as possible. I've kept my weight off for close to 3 years- like you said K - you always have to be careful about your diet. For me, exercise helps, but it always comes down to diet.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've kept my weight off for close to 3 years- like you said K - you always have to be careful about your diet. For me, exercise helps, but it always comes down to diet.
            Yup! And I have a really crummy metabolism, so that's where the exercise helps a great deal. The woman I know who is ordering that herbal weight loss pill claimed in her blog that it will help her metabolism. It's all I can do to not leave a comment telling her that the ONLY thing that can boost metabolism is exercise. No pill will speed-up one's metabolism. It's funny, too, when people will be shocked by what I spend on running shoes, but they think nothing of dropping $50+ per month on a health club membership or diet drugs. Or they will spend thousands on some exercise machine that they use for 3 months, then use as a coat-rack when they get bored with it (just ask my brother about the Total Gym that his ex-wife just HAD to have...she used it for a month or two, then went back to her old ways). k

~ Sarah Kay

Blush OK well, I may have started out that way... Many years ago joined a women's health club - lasted about 3 months - but hey, I won 2 free tickets to Hawaii!!!! I also talked DH into this still looking for easy fix exercise back then. Big grin The big difference? Before, I would only exercise because it was something I knew I should do. Now I run because I love it, I weight train/cross train to make me overall stronger and preserve bone mass so I can run longer, I watch my diet to fuel my runs and maintain muscle mass so I can run longer....Obsessed? Yeah - but way healthier than smoking, although I'm not sure it's cheaper Tongue

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

One article I read on this "wonder" drug mentioned the results of a study that said that compared to people who dieted and exercised, people who took Alli along with dieting and exercise lost an additional 3 pounds in a year. This translates into cutting out 28 calories per day OR adding a mile or two of running per week - definitely not worth the cost or the side effects to me.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This translates into cutting out 28 calories per day OR adding a mile or two of running per week - definitely not worth the cost or the side effects to me.
                  Ha...run an extra mile/week or take a $$ drug AND risk sharting my pants...hmmm.... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Along for the Ride

And now I can be paranoid that when I sit somewhere in a public place that the previous person to have occupied my spot may have had a leaky ass. Great.
                    Big grin You are hilarious! I just pictured everybody in this world from this day forward to check the seats of public chairs for "leaky ass signs" ...

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The big difference? Before, I would only exercise because it was something I knew I should do. Now I run because I love it...
                      You hit the nail on the head. Making a permanent change to your health requires a permanent change to your life -- and nobody can (or should) stick with a plan that they hate. And just like you can learn to love running, you can learn to love eating well. You just need to eat real food, and say goodbye to all the processed, quick-fix stuff.
                      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yet another article where all the real wisdom is contained in the last sentence:
                        "But the bottom line is nothing is better than watching calories in and calories out."
                        File that under /duh
                        But it can also result in what the manufacturer describes as loose stools and gas with an oily discharge. "It's probably a smart idea to wear dark pants, and bring a change of clothes with you to work," the drug's official website says."
                        That's so funny that I have nothing to add to it. Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Y'know, I am all for 'live and let live'. Just because I counted calories and exercised to lose my 90 pounds and do the same to maintain the loss doesn't mean that someone else needs to do the same. HOWEVER. Anal leakage? How torturous do we need to be? I swear it all comes from that old addage "it hurts to be beautiful". I get the desperate mentality, and I even Blush invested in those diet patches before actually doing it the 'right' way. But MAN. I can't imagine being willing to spend any real money on an item that had that kind of side effect.
                          "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                            Anal leakage
                            EW. Oh, so, so gross And Callie? No Blushing from you, girlie, not w those before and after pictures !
                            2009: BQ?
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But MAN. I can't imagine being willing to spend any real money on an item that had that kind of side effect.
                              Get this...my unemployed sister is talking about spending the $$...'cause her boyfriend (who is by no means rollin' in the dough) said he will pay for laser surgery on her stretch marks if she loses weight (heh...he hasn't actually priced this procedure, which is thousands of dollars...dumbass). For the $40 or $60 a person would spend/month (depending upon doseage) she could easily start running and simply eating healthy (she currently lives on convenience food, fast food, and Mountain Dew). But that would be too much work and too healthy... k

~ Sarah Kay

Get this...my unemployed sister is talking about spending the $$...'cause her boyfriend (who is by no means rollin' in the dough) said he will pay for laser surgery on her stretch marks if she loses weight (heh...he hasn't actually priced this procedure, which is thousands of dollars...dumbass). For the $40 or $60 a person would spend/month (depending upon doseage) she could easily start running and simply eating healthy (she currently lives on convenience food, fast food, and Mountain Dew). But that would be too much work and too healthy... k
                                People don't want to believe that the ONLY WAY to lose weight (and keep it off) is to eat healthy and exercise. There really is not any other way. Anything worth having is hard --- doesn't anyone believe that anymore?
                                2009: BQ?