How Bad Is Sugar? (Read 411 times)

bobvt53

A shameless plug for a fellow Vermonter's book on the challenges of eliminating sugar from her family's diet.

http://www.amazon.com/Year-No-Sugar-A-Memoir/dp/1402295871  Personally can't imagine going to this level.

I'm no dietician, but a little sugar has to be good for you, after all it's in all the energry drinks. I consume quite a bit of sugar throughout my day. Doughnuts, brownies, cookies things of that nature. Also, i cut back to around 8 beers a day, the carbs were beginning to show a little, it didn't really effect my running though.

CT JEFF

"Fructose is a poison"

I don't drink a lot of sugary drinks, and I really don't have a bias or strong feelings on this question, but when I read stuff like this above, it erases nearly all credibility in my mind from the "sugar is evil" side of the discussion.  Believability just evaporates.  At least for me it does.  Real life experience just doesn't jive with these kind of extreme statements at all.

I agree. I think that super-processed anything, isnt likely to be good for you. But fructose is in fruit. I went back and watched the video for a 2nd time. This time pausing and taking notes. I believe he has some very good information, but I also believe he is taking some theories and jumping 2 and 3 steps ahead of where his own, early research is pointing. He seems to have a good idea believing that fiber and carbs are together in nature and should remain together in our diet. He also seems to dismiss his own "poison" theory when it comes to endurance athletes. "fructose does replenish glycogen faster".

Im on a break this week from my diet. One thing that has worked for me has been to be strict for weeks at a time, but to allow myself some "moderation" every so often. I could skip my birthday cake, but Ive decided that Im not gonna. Wink

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

kcam

I don't drink a lot of sugary drinks, and I really don't have a bias or strong feelings on this question, but when I read stuff like this above, it erases nearly all credibility in my mind from the "sugar is evil" side of the discussion.  Believability just evaporates.  At least for me it does.  Real life experience just doesn't jive with these kind of extreme statements at all.

+4 (I think?).

DennisF6

Here is a good article Can You Find Health by Avoiding Sugar?

I especially like:

if the sugar eaten does not put you over your calorie needs it will be burned as fuel, but if the added sugar equates to excess calories (more energy than our bodies needs to operate) it will be converted to fat. But guess what? The same is true for excess calories from any other source – protein, fat, alcohol. Our bodies burn calories (energy) required to keep us alive and fuel our activities, and then store any excess – mostly in the form of fat. So it really doesn't matter if the excess comes from sugar, fat or whatever… if it’s excess it will likely be stored as fat. So on one hand, yes – excess sugar in our diets is a problem. But on the other hand, so is excess fat, alcohol or protein if it pushes us over our daily calorie needs.

Make sense to me.

bap

I especially like:

if the sugar eaten does not put you over your calorie needs it will be burned as fuel, but if the added sugar equates to excess calories (more energy than our bodies needs to operate) it will be converted to fat. But guess what? The same is true for excess calories from any other source – protein, fat, alcohol. Our bodies burn calories (energy) required to keep us alive and fuel our activities, and then store any excess – mostly in the form of fat. So it really doesn't matter if the excess comes from sugar, fat or whatever… if it’s excess it will likely be stored as fat. So on one hand, yes – excess sugar in our diets is a problem. But on the other hand, so is excess fat, alcohol or protein if it pushes us over our daily calorie needs.

Make sense to me.

So what she is saying, if you take in more calories than you burn off you will get fat.

Groundbreaking idea 

Certified Running Coach
              Crocked since 2013

RunJasonRun

I like the idea of getting all of my sugar from fruit and vegetables.  I recently got back into the "Paleo/Primal" lifestyle that served me well back in 2012, when I was in the best shape of my life.  I love hitting that stride when I've avoided processed foods long enough to enjoy the natural flavor of fruit.

When I fall off of the wagon and eat processed carbs, I have trouble controlling myself, and I can pack on 40 pounds almost overnight.  I'm way heavy right now, but the weight is coming off well now that I'm back in gear avoiding processed stuff.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Chasing the bus

I'm not a biologist or doctor, but the science in this video (By Dr. Lustig, again), makes sense to me. I'm by no means sugar free, but this makes is worth considering, to me.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth University of California Television (UCTV)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                  Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

bap

butt his makes is worth considering, to me.\

Freudian slip?

Certified Running Coach
                    Crocked since 2013

Cyberic

I'm the person everybody hates (in a nice way) because I'm skinny. I was skinny when I wasn't working out. I just don't gain weight.  Whatever I ingest I burn. Or it is the other way around, I only ingest what I burned.

That being said, I've tried gaining weight many times before. I tried high fat diet, high sugar diet, high alcohol diet. Nothing will do. My point is that I think it is all mathematics. 1g of sugar is worth so many calories, 1 g of fat, so many calories. And then you burn calories in your day. You gain weight or lose weight (read fat) depending on the intake vs burn difference.

I can't say anything about sugar being poison, but I just don't see how. When you refine something (sugar beets for example) you take away stuff, you don't add anything. So if sugar is poison, it's because sugar beets are poison. With what I eat, and the way I feel, I just don't see sugar being poison.

Chasing the bus

Quote from Furthur on 5/10/2014 at 1:43 PM:

butt his makes is worth considering, to me.\

Freudian slip?

apparently...edited.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                        Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

drrbradford

Well said.

I especially like:

Make sense to me.

From my understanding after reading some materials, it is not about fat. It is that excessive sugar confuses many organs to properly regulate hormone secretion, such as insulin and leptin. Therefore, our hunger/full feeling is distorted and we eat more than what we need, so fat just keeps mounting up.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

rmcj001

Don't know.  I've always been thin too.  Did get up to 126lbs 5 years ago, but then I started running again and I'm pretty steady around 115lbs these days (+/- 2lbs).  Interesting article in NY tmies today.http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/fed-up-asks-are-all-calories-equal/?ref=health

Worth a read.  Gives some plausible reasons why a calorie isn't a calorie.  Not all foods are created equal...

Ray

That was a good read about "Fed Up".