St. George Marathon - Berner's BQ (Read 1102 times)

AWESOME!!!! Congrats on a well deserved BQ as well as PR!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

All that hard work paid off. Congratulations.

Not at it at all. 

A Saucy Wench

Hey Berner, First, awesome race. There are few things more satisfying than executing an intelligently crafted plan. I'm curious as to your thinking about planning occasional easier and harder miles--varying the pace. I assume that these were uphill and downhill miles. Did you find that to be a helpful strategy? Did the paces match your effort or did you find some tension between your planned paces for the hills and the effort it took to maintain or drop down to those paces? Would you consider planning a faster mile or a slower mile outside of the context of the geography of the course?
        Jeff - FWIW from a slow gal, The PDX marathon pacers generate pace bands now based on terrain. And they have an online pace band generator if you dont follow a pace team. I tried it for a HM and really liked it. For me it is valuable because I have a tendency to push too hard on hills because I feel like I am falling too far off pace. It helps me relax up the hills.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks everybody! Its pretty cool to wake from a long post-race nap and see all these amazing, supportive posts from the RA community!
          I'm curious as to your thinking about planning occasional easier and harder miles--varying the pace. I assume that these were uphill and downhill miles. Did you find that to be a helpful strategy? Did the paces match your effort or did you find some tension between your planned paces for the hills and the effort it took to maintain or drop down to those paces?
          Yeah, the variances in my planned pacing were designed to match the elevation changes on course. I derived my planned splits using a pace calculator prepared by a long-time St. George runner who studied not only the grade changes, but also the reported splits of many BQ runners. So the predicted paces were really a combination of mathematical predictions and real-world experiences. It was an extremely helpful strategy, and for the most part I felt like I was running an even effort throughout the whole race.
          Would you consider planning a faster mile or a slower mile outside of the context of the geography of the course?
          On a flat course, I honestly think I'd stick with an even pacing approach. I train on flat land, and I train at even paces ... so really I suspect I'd be more comfortable sticking with what I know on terrain that I know.
          And yes. 3:14 is so much sexier than 3:16. How could we have pi without those numbers? Or pie even?
          Dude, I hadn't even noticed ... it really does all come down to pie. Guess what I'm having for dessert tonight? Big grin
          Berner, I finally followed the link to your website. You actually posted the phrase "Apropos of the foregoing". Damn. You're a FAST nerd. Big grin
          Fast lawyer, actually. Big words and phrases cost extra, so I like to toss 'em around. Also, the nerd thing is true too. Wink

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Congrats Berner!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Right on Hereford...

Sweet, dude! Getting that BQ is a goal for many, many runners (myself included). And for others it's just a dream they'll never accomplish. So, great job!
              TJoseph

Congratulation!
                obsessor

you put in the work, you get your prize. Good job, execution, toughness, and the ability to "just go for it" based on nothing more than belief and a gut feel, right in the middle of the race... a highly admirable trait. I ran the course on vacation (yeah, the whole thing, for a training run, why not?) Yes it's gorgeous, but it can be brutal on the quads, eh? Others say hard on the calves ... depends on your stride and pace I guess.
                    Great job Berner. Your were very well prepared and it paid off. It was going to take more than a steady rain and headwinds to stop you on this day. That final 10k was impressive to say the least. Congratulations!
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      Congratulations on an awesome race. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It is very inspiring to see that all the hard work and dedication really does pay off in the end!
                        Fantastic result under less than ideal conditions, now you'll have to correct your username to Burner.

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Congratulations, Berner, on a great summer of training and a well executed race. You'll be walking funny for a few days but every time you move the wrong way and go, "Ouch!" it will actually make you smile. Enjoy.

Runners run

Dog-Love

AWesome and inspirnig job. Must feel great to have worked hard and have great results.
                            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                            heelgrad92

Congratulations on the BQ! Hopefully I will be in the same boat with you after next Sunday in Chicago. A 15 minute PR is a really big deal,you should be proud of yourself.
                                Congratulations! Thanks for the informative report, too. And wow for those conditions. See you in Boston (well, assuming I can afford it this year.)