St. George Marathon - Berner's BQ (Read 1102 times)

JakeKnight

Holy crap. 5 minute PR's are good. 15 minute PR's, downhill or not, are ridiculous. Outstanding job.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

redleaf

congrats from a much slower nerd lawyer!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Purdey

Self anointed title

Fantastic Berner! A great few months of training, a well thought out plan and a perfectly executed race. I bow to you Sir.

jeffdonahue

Awesome job!!! How did you determine your goal splits for each mile - most pace bands I have seen will just even split the entire race? did you go through it mile by mile yourself or is there someplace that you can find out which miles are a little harder than others on the race?

dork.major dork.

I'm totally amazed. You rock!

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

love reading your reports -- congrats on a great race and good luck in Boston

2012= under-goaled

VERY nice job! Congrats on the BQ! Smile
                  Most Excellent!!! The high mileage training plan worked. Good on ya! (Similarly for Ennay, who logged some great miles in her successful BQ attempt training cycle.) -- Low-mileage Econo (I'm doomed!) Sad
                    How did you determine your goal splits for each mile - most pace bands I have seen will just even split the entire race? did you go through it mile by mile yourself or is there someplace that you can find out which miles are a little harder than others on the race?
                    A long-time St. George runner put together an Excel spreadsheet that assigned a weighting factor to each mile based on the elevation changes and the experiences of other runners. You can download it: here. I did some minor modifications myself (such as speeding up the first mile) and settled on a mile-by-mile plan. I then made my own pace bands which I printed out and wrapped in clear plastic packing tape to waterproof them. It all worked very well for me.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Nice planning and nice execution of the plan. I always write my goals splits with a sharpie on my arm. Does that make me a geek too? Cool.
                      Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                        Good -- printing them on your arm saves you from having to carry the weight of a pace band. Yes
                          Nice job and good write up. I also ran the race and would have loved to have had better weather.

All business

Congrat's Berner that's awesome! I guess that means you're not running Chicago this weekend? Or maybe as a long recovery run? Big grin Nice Job!

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Nice job and good write up. I also ran the race and would have loved to have had better weather.
                              Thanks Lloyd, and congrats on the age group win and new course record! Amazing stuff.
                              I guess that means you're not running Chicago this weekend? Or maybe as a long recovery run? Big grin
                              My legs are so sore I'm not even running the dishwasher, let alone the Chicago Marathon. I'm looking forward to being an enthusiastic, cheering spectator this year.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm going to write a longer race report when I have the energy, but I'll do a short-ish version now. Two words: mission accomplished! I needed a 3:20:59 or better to qualify for the Boston Marathon, and I'm pleased to report that I completed the St. George marathon this morning in 3:14:37. That also betters my marathon PR by exactly 15 minutes. ETA: This morning I realized I also hit another milestone during the race: I passed 2000 miles for the year right around mile 20 on the course.
                                Nothing like hitting a whole lotta cool milestones in ONE race! Big grin Berner, that is one excellent race report! You must still be on cloud 9. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay