Lousy Kids (Read 856 times)

As I was finishing up my run last night some neighborhood kids, maybe around 12 y.o., started running along with me, taunting. I tried to just ignore it, but they stuck with me. I couldn't really outlast them and leave them behind as I was just about home. I finally turned around made a couple of threats to try and scare them off. No luck there. I finally just lead them to a house where I knew a parent of some kids in the neighborhood lived. It wasn't these kid's parents, but I figured they might know who's they were. Anyway, they ended up giving the kids a lecture on respect and it was over for the night. In general though, what do you do in this situation? Obviously they are too young to deal with as I might an adult. On the other hand, not knowing who their parents are, I don't have much recourse from that angle either. Any suggestions?

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Pepper spray would do the trick.
      "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

Just Be

As I was finishing up my run last night some neighborhood kids, maybe around 12 y.o., started running along with me, taunting. I tried to just ignore it, but they stuck with me. I couldn't really outlast them and leave them behind as I was just about home. I finally turned around made a couple of threats to try and scare them off. No luck there. I finally just lead them to a house where I knew a parent of some kids in the neighborhood lived. It wasn't these kid's parents, but I figured they might know who's they were. Anyway, they ended up giving the kids a lecture on respect and it was over for the night. In general though, what do you do in this situation? Obviously they are too young to deal with as I might an adult. On the other hand, not knowing who their parents are, I don't have much recourse from that angle either. Any suggestions?
        The only time it ever happened to me I was at a middle school track and the gym class let out and all the kids started running a timed mile. Some kids started running next to me making stupid jokes and taunting me as what probably happened to you and I just started joking right back at them using humor appropriate for middle school aged kids. Also, I presented a disposition of genuine enjoyment of their harassing company so they'd think they were causing me to have fun. They eventually got bored and backed off. I guess your ability to establish rapport with people of malicious intent depends on a number of factors, but usually a mirroring of their own harassment ends their harassment.

Just Be

Pepper spray would do the trick.
          Shocked Roll eyes Big grin Haha, what if you were randomly carrying around a fog horn. Blast it in their ears. Tongue
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I think you did about the best thing. If I had time, though, I'd at least give a shot at running them into the ground, even if it meant sacrificing the next day's workout. Most of my weekly workouts are 6-9 miles. If they showed up toward the end, I'd just say, "Ok, we've got 6 miles to go" and make it a 12-15 miler. When they ran out of steam, the taunting would ensue (even cooler if it happend when they were far from home and had to walk back). Or if I had some speed, I'd just add a mile or three at tempo pace. Again, taunting when they fizzle. Is that the right thing to do? No, of course not, but burning them down would feel good and I'd probably do it anyway if I could.
            JakeKnight

Is beating them half-to-death with your iPod out of the question? I wouldn't make empty threats at munchkins these days; the era of respect for your elders seems long gone, and they tend to enjoy making grown-ups mad. I checked your log. You're fast enough to make just about any average 12-year old puke their Spaghetti-o's. They spend their days playing Guitar Hero and messaging on MySpace. You should have just taunted them back and invited them to run a few miles. Then laughed and taken pictures when they started whining. It'd make a great YouTube video. They'd be famous with their out-of-shape internet-addicted friends. Or you could just go back to that whole beating-with-iPod thing. Just check for witnesses first.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Prince of Fatness

Ignore them. I know this is not easy, but it will work. The kids want attention. Ignoring them deprives them of it. It may take a few times but eventually they will get bored and look elsewhere for attention.

Not at it at all. 

Just Be

Understand that most misbehaving kids are good-natured, just a little misguided. If you make it clear that you're the adult and you're in control, they'll second guess their intentions and you'll destroy their confidence in that particular situation, allowing you to control it however you see fit, just don't get physical (as tempting as beating them with an iPod sounds Big grin ... use something else, that iPod was *expensive* Big grin ... kidding, of course). Cool
                  UpNorth

I would have just stopped and starting talking to them about American history or Mid-East peace. Maybe the oil crisis or educate them on the importance of the judicial branch. Kids like that will run away like they are on fire if you try to educate them Big grin
                      I don't have an iPod, so I guess I can't beat them, as fun as the idea of violence sounds. Actually if the adults who hurl comments from cars had half the guts of these kids, to actually come at me, I could enjoy the violence idea! I think next time it'll be an attempt to ignore followed by taking them for a long run. We'll see how that works out. I'm just not charming enough to attempt a rapport in that situation.

-------------------------------------
                      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Much as I emphathize with you, I'd be careful about threatening kids. Maybe you didn't mean threatening the way my ears heard it (I'm a reporter and threat usually = crime.) Maybe carry a cell phone and pull it out. 911 always good to be programmed.
                          Shoot some snot rockets at them.
                            LOL: beating This has happened to me a bunch of times and I always just run them into the ground. I usually start by telling them not to even try. Then I put the hammer down until they're done. Typically its one kid out of a group of a few, that wants to show off to his/her friends. This makes it all the better because once the double over and on the verge of puking they get ridiculed by their friends.
                            TexasRose

Shoot some snot rockets at them.
                              That'll fix 'em! lol Seriously though, I've never had a problem like this and very rarely do I get any grief from hecklers. I've had a couple of cars cut it close to me intentionally, but other than that it's very runner friendly around here. Worst comments I usually get are "what's chasing you today?" or "weren't you running a couple of hours ago when I left???"
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I would have just kept running. 18 miles ought to have done in a 12 yo.