RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

HermosaBoy

We saw The Imitation Game the other night.  My DH, myself, and our nearly 14 year old son all sat riveted.  It's a great story made all the more fascinating by some exceptional acting.  

+1

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

And Turing was a pretty damn good marathoner: 2:46!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

And Turing was a pretty damn good marathoner: 2:46!

Dang...yes, he was!

I'm guessing there's none of that in the movie.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

HermosaBoy

Dang...yes, he was!

I'm guessing there's none of that in the movie.

They show him running but never really cover that he was a competitive runner.

Rob

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

They show him running but never really cover that he was a competitive runner.

Yeah, there are a couple of moments where they show him out on hard runs...they don't really allude to him being fast or formally competitive, more a display of him blowing off steam...which isn't all bad.  It does make me want to know more about his running history.  Was it something he picked-up as an outlet for stress and then discovered he was so gifted or did he intend to be competitive from the get-go, say on an organized team in HS or college?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

HermosaBoy

Rob

Chantilly75

Birdman was an interesting character study of an actor who was a one dimensional movie action hero who was trying to make it on the legitimate stage by producing and acting in an adaptation of a book from his youth. Michael Keaton did a fine job with the symbolism, sometimes a bit over the top. But was he really trying to make it on Broadway or was it too late?  A bit funny in parts, a bit depressing, but held our interest throughout.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

I obviously know nothing about this sort of thing, but is there a reason Disney wouldn't release a movie about high school kids (and clearly geared towards families) - McFarland USA - on a holiday weekend? They can't be worried about 50 shades of pron? Or do too many families travel on president's day? Just kinda bummed it comes out next week, was looking for something indoors to do with kids this weekend since it'll be -245 degrees out...

MTA: I guess i forgot it's valentine's day on Sat. That sort of makes sense. Not really a date movie.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Probably because "Hey honey, how about on Valentine's day we see a movie about a bunch of high school kids who run" isn't very romantic . . . even if you're already married.

Yeah, as soon as I posted I thought about v-day. Not something I think I've ever celebrated, so I don't really think about it.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                      Joann Y

I suggested to my husband this morning that we watch My Bloody Valentine tonight seeing that it is Valentine's Day weekend, Friday the 13th, and also one of my favorite movies of all time. For some reason he didn't bite. Not romantic?

RunJasonRun

I suggested to my husband this morning that we watch My Bloody Valentine tonight seeing that it is Valentine's Day weekend, Friday the 13th, and also one of my favorite movies of all time. For some reason he didn't bite. Not romantic?

I plan to watch My Bloody Valentine (1981) tomorrow afternoon after I'm done with my trail half marathon.  I cannot imagine why anyone would not love this movie.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Joann Y

I plan to watch My Bloody Valentine (1981) tomorrow afternoon after I'm done with my trail half marathon.  I cannot imagine why anyone would not love this movie.

Agreed! This movie has got it all. I will probably watch it tonight, regardless. And yes, the 1981 version. The 2009 remake was atrocious, the only redeeming quality being that my sister-in-law had snuck some PBRs into the theater in her purse. Popping those open during a movie was a little conspicuous but nobody seemed to mind.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Probably because "Hey honey, how about on Valentine's day we see a movie about a bunch of high school kids who run" isn't very romantic . . . even if you're already married.

Does it make me a prude if I think something like "50 Shades..." is equally unromantic?  Or at least, if I'm disturbed that the producers of our cinematic culture apparently consider it to be romantic?

"Hey honey, how about on Valentine's Day we see a movie about a woman being sexually dominated by a man through pain?"

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Does it make me a prude if I think something like "50 Shades..." is equally unromantic?  Or at least, if I'm disturbed that the producers of our cinematic culture apparently consider it to be romantic?

Just means you're not the target audience.