RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

BeeRunB

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness

A 2013 documentary currently showing on Netflix. If you like Hayao Miyazaki's animated films, you might like this quiet meditation on him, his studio, and the making of his supposed last film. I enjoyed it. It's in Japanese with English subtitles.

Last Tango in Paris

It was on demand, and I've never seen it.  Hmmm.  This is one movie that I wish I could "unsee".  Ugh.  It was a bit over the top.  I didn't find Marlon Brando that appealing.  I guess I really haven't seen him in many (any?) movies and don't know what the appeal is.  What movie can I see him in that will erase the vision of the lecherous old man??

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Mad Max: Fury Road

The Mad Max movies are basically post-apocalyptic versions of the old 1939 western, Stagecoach, in that the horses and stagecoaches have been replaced by heavily-armored cars and fuel tankers, while John Wayne's hero figure has been replaced by Max Max and the Apache tribe has been replaced by feral gangs in ragged punk outfits. This formula never gets old, though, and the new film, Mad Max: Fury Road, is one of the best cinematic depictions of vehicular mayhem that I have seen in quite a while. This fast-paced movie barrels forward from one explosive confrontation to another, and blows the mind with a series of action sequences that rely primarily on practical special effects and real stunts, so that the viewers are right there in the fray, just as they were in Mad Max (1979), Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981), and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985).

This time around, Mad Max, who is portrayed with rugged toughness by Tom Hardy, takes a second-place podium to make way for one of the most mesmerizing female action characters in movie history. Charlize Theron, as Furiosa, shines in what I personally believe is her greatest movie role to date, and she slays all during the fight scenes while also displaying a convincing air of vulnerability. Hugh Keays-Byrne, who played Toecutter in the original Mad Max film, is impressive as the main villain, Immortan Joe, and, although he wears a mask the entire time, he is able convey so much with his eyes that one cannot help but relate to his motivations even during his most vile moments. George Miller, who directed the first three Mad Max films, steps back up to the plate in a big way, and, although 30 years have passed since Beyond Thunderdome, he keeps us grounded in the same gritty aesthetics of sand and rusted metal that made those first three films so special. The difference is that Miller now has the budget to realize his visions in full, so Fury Road ups the ante with over 150 actual drivable vehicles that were used to wreak havoc onscreen while computer effects were mainly utilized to enhance the film location landscapes and to remove stunt rigging from the background.

Mad Max: Fury Road is completely off the chain, so do not miss it while it is showing on a big theater screen near you.

Watched this yesterday, and boy, Jason's enthusiasm for it is heartily seconded.  This is one of those rare movies that is not only a lock for buying the Blu-ray, I also can't wait for it to come out.

DW watched the trailer and decreed that I would be seeing it without her.   But I suspect that even if I had dragged her into the theater, she would have gotten some enjoyment from the sheer beauty of it.  The bulk of the color palette is various shades of brown in the desert, and gray for the vehicles, and amazing work is done with just that.  But there are very well-placed set pieces and splashes of color here and there that break it up wonderfully.  Glen Weldon on Pop Culture Happy Hour pointed out there is a scene in which the "screaming at the sky" trope is performed by a character, and this would ordinarily be an eye-rolling moment if it wasn't so dang gorgeous (I think there's a glimpse of this in one of the trailers).

One last quick thing before I have to get back to work:  the praise for Charleze Theron is well, well deserved, but I actually found the character Nux a lot more interesting.  I sort of knew how Furiosa was going to react, and was pretty certain of the gist of her origin story even before it was revealed, but that guy...

**minor spoiler alert***

...the tendency with this kind of movie is for the imps to be faceless, disposable fodder for the evil warlord to throw at the protagonist, unquestioning devotees who are glad to fulfill this role (and boy, this particular warlord certainly played that up - go Viking culture!).  It was really interesting to see him pulled out of that slot to grow and develop.

***bigger spoiler alert***

I was genuinely sad to see him die, even though I knew it was really the only way his character arc could end.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

BeeRunB

HIS OSCARS: The Godfather, On The Waterfront

He was interesting in Apocalypse Now,

fun in The Freshman and Don Juan Del Marco

Good turn in A Dry White Season

great in A Streetcar Named Desire

Lsst Tango was very improvisational and had that  freedom you saw in 70's films. Not for everyone.

Last Tango in Paris

It was on demand, and I've never seen it.  Hmmm.  This is one movie that I wish I could "unsee".  Ugh.  It was a bit over the top.  I didn't find Marlon Brando that appealing.  I guess I really haven't seen him in many (any?) movies and don't know what the appeal is.  What movie can I see him in that will erase the vision of the lecherous old man??

BeeRunB

Three greatest concert films: WoodstockStop Making Sense (Talking Heads) and The Last Waltz (The Band and amazing guests). The latter is currently showing on Netflix.

Capt Awesome

Last Tango in Paris

The Wild One was a great Brando flick, highly recommended.

The Drop and Chef are decent flicks.

RunJasonRun

McFarland, USA

McFarland, USA tells the true story of Jim White, a coach who moved with his family to a poverty-stricken California community of migrant workers and led the cross country team to a state championship win. This Disney film may pull out all of the sports movie clichés and tropes in full force, but the story is nonetheless engaging in a way that rises above the obvious sweeping music cues and the predictability that is inherent in such productions. Kevin Costner delivers one of his best roles as Coach White, and the predominantly Latino cast, especially Carlos Pratts and Ramiro Rodriguez, matches him every step of the way. I'm glad that high school cross country has been featured in a major film production, and, and the race scenes reminded me of why I have always loved running. Socioeconomics are insignificant when it comes to running a race, and the beauty of the sport is that people from all walks of life have an opportunity to shine.

I give McFarland, USA a strong thumbs-up.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Just chiming in on the Mad Max: Fury Road applause.  Saw it last night in 3D (don't bother -- it was my only choice) and really enjoyed the film.  It's one huge and long action sequence.  Very innovative.  Very gritty in that non-CGI sorta way.  It was non-stop without being laborious (Matrix 3).  And the feminist bent was really enjoyable -- very glad they didn't bend completely over into misandry by making Max incompetent . . . though, sociologically the film has a pretty harsh misandry slant.

And while I was completely entertained, the only reason not to give the film a 5/5 is because the story is ultimately a bit forgettable. (4/5)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

RunJasonRun

Jurassic World

Nothing in Jurassic World holds a candle to the scene with the Tyrannosaurus Rex and the Jeep in the first Jurassic Park film back in 1993. The dinosaurs are bigger this time around, the special effects are more elaborate, and there's more action all around, but the magic of that first film that made my jaw hit the floor and enabled me to suspend disbelief is no longer present. The filmmakers and the fictional amusement park staff in the film itself both could have benefited from a lesson about how bigger is not always better and about how less is more. Jurassic World is a fairly decent summer movie, especially for the seven dollars that I spent for the pre-noon matinee at the theater down the street, but it's certainly not a game-changer, because we have all seen everything in this movie before in the first film, and we have seen it done better in the first film. This time around, when a big dinosaur eye peered at kids who are trapped in a vehicle or when the driver of an escaping vehicle saw a dinosaur from an alarmingly close distance in a sideview mirror, I just sort of zoned out and started thinking about what I was going to eat for lunch after the movie or what I was going to prioritize when I return to work on Monday. Despite my criticisms, though, I do think that Jurassic World is a step up from the second and third film, and that, of all of the sequels, this is the one that quickens my pulse the most, since the human characters are interesting enough to follow. This one did not blow me away like the original 1993 film did, but you could do a lot worse if you're looking for a summer movie. Besides, huge dinosaurs are meant to be viewed on a big theater screen.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Jurassic World

Nothing in Jurassic World holds a candle to the scene with the Tyrannosaurus Rex and the Jeep in the first Jurassic Park film back in 1993. The dinosaurs are bigger this time around, the special effects are more elaborate, and there's more action all around, but the magic of that first film that made my jaw hit the floor and enabled me to suspend disbelief is no longer present. The filmmakers and the fictional amusement park staff in the film itself both could have benefited from a lesson about how bigger is not always better and about how less is more. Jurassic World is a fairly decent summer movie, especially for the seven dollars that I spent for the pre-noon matinee at the theater down the street, but it's certainly not a game-changer, because we have all seen everything in this movie before in the first film, and we have seen it done better in the first film. This time around, when a big dinosaur eye peered at kids who are trapped in a vehicle or when the driver of an escaping vehicle saw a dinosaur from an alarmingly close distance in a sideview mirror, I just sort of zoned out and started thinking about what I was going to eat for lunch after the movie or what I was going to prioritize when I return to work on Monday. Despite my criticisms, though, I do think that Jurassic World is a step up from the second and third film, and that, of all of the sequels, this is the one that quickens my pulse the most, since the human characters are interesting enough to follow. This one did not blow me away like the original 1993 film did, but you could do a lot worse if you're looking for a summer movie. Besides, huge dinosaurs are meant to be viewed on a big theater screen.

Thanks, Jason, I was looking forward to your review.

Glad I didn't stay up for the midnight showing last night.

DW and I are thinking about going to the $4 matinee tomorrow, though, if she's up to it after her dental procedure.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Watched Inside Out yesterday.  Holy cow, great movie.  On my Pixar podium, I'm going to give this one a silver medal, just under The Incredibles.

The theater I was in started having terrible problems with the air filtration system about 2/3 of the way through the movie, though.

I have to wonder...this is a movie that is very appropriate for kids, but how on Earth would a kid - I'm talking younger than 10 or so - get anything out of it?  There is a lot of slapstick humor and bright colors, I suppose, but man, 90% of the humor is going to go right over the head of anyone who doesn't know what things like inductive reasoning or the subconscious are.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Watched The Judge over the weekend starring: Robert Downy Jr., Robert Duvall, Vera Farmiga, Billy Bob Thornton and Vincent D'Onofrio.  One would think that with this many powerhouses of acting it would be almost impossible for the director to f/ck it up, but they do.  RDJ plays a slick talking big city lawyer that appears to be his Iron Man schtick without the suit (quipy one-liners, digs, snarks and the like) saying things to the police and in a courtroom that would never fly (except perhaps on Judge Judy).  Robert Duvall plays the tough as nails judge who is softening due to incurable cancer.  Vera Farmiga the lost love interest of RDJ, single mom, yet gorgeous who manages to own both the local diner and bar.  Of course we have one of RDJ's brothers is a complete nitwit and the local town police are incompetent.  The local lawyer is a complete buffoon who can't even manage to go in to the courtroom without vomitting.  Just about every character is so over the top in their role that within the first 5 minutes I could tell how the whole movie would play out.  I felt like the director felt the audience would be so bored by the length of the film (it dragged on 30 minutes too long) he had spell everything out so if you went to the restroom several times it wouldn't matter.  Frankly the only performance I enjoyed was Vincent D'Onofrio's.

2/10 Socks.

You people have issues 

Capt Awesome

Watched Inside Out yesterday.  Holy cow, great movie.  On my Pixar podium, I'm going to give this one a silver medal, just under The Incredibles.

The theater I was in started having terrible problems with the air filtration system about 2/3 of the way through the movie, though.

I have to wonder...this is a movie that is very appropriate for kids, but how on Earth would a kid - I'm talking younger than 10 or so - get anything out of it?  There is a lot of slapstick humor and bright colors, I suppose, but man, 90% of the humor is going to go right over the head of anyone who doesn't know what things like inductive reasoning or the subconscious are.

Best Pixar film ever is WALL-E, hands down.

BeeRunB

Favorite Disney distribution: Spirited Away