RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

BeeRunB

As long as I can put it on my Frequent Wabbit Hole Flyer account, I'm cool with it.

You surely can, and if you're account is at least at Cumberlandite level, you'll also receive free admission to the Annual Flat Earth Society's  ItsNotta Ball (held on a party boat on the Old Bedford River on the Bedford Level, Norfolk, England).

Rambo II was/is awesome, and hell yeah that chick is hot. I expecially liked the part where she says "Lambo, you're not expendable", the rocky flicks are ok too. Any sequel past 2-3 and things get weird, like for instance Rocky 13, he gets his hip replaced and his parkinsons is way outta control. Now, i just endured Dumb and Dumber too 'cause of the ol'lady. IT SUCKS, don't bother attempting to watch it, it's painfully not funny.

Chantilly75

Baahubali: This is an epic movie made on a grand scale with beautiful backgrounds.  It is a southern India movie with English sub-titles, but there is no problem following the story of a boy who grows up always drawn to the land at the top of the waterfall. When he finally climbs all the way up, he meets a female warrior and her group who are trying to rescue his (unbeknownst to him) real mother from a bad uncle's family who stole the throne. Much fighting and epic battles ensue.  This is a beautifully made movie, the story holds up, the battles are done well, a little over the top like all epics with CGI are. Its a long movie, 2 hr. 39 minutes, but I never took my eyes off the screen. So much scenery and costumes, some dancing and some humor.  Part 2 comes out next year, which continues the story of how the bad relatives got power.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Went and saw Kingsmen: The Secret Service last night.

[. . .]

Anyways, I'm rating it 6/10 Socks.

There be spoilers here: 

From my understanding it is supposed to be a series of movies.  I find this hard to believe when they killed off the top 3 billed actors but....

Kingsmen: The Secret Service (2014) - I really found myself enjoying this film.  The plot was old-school Bond.  The self-aware references were pretty fun.  The fight scenes were so overtly British in their stilted-straightbacked ballet, that I found myself chortling in delight.  The hench-woman of the Boss had a great gimmick, and the fight scenes with her showed off her deadly elegance.  The pace was good too, kept moving along without deadspots.  Even some of the crude laughs were good for letting you know the film wasn't taking itself too seriously -- but wasn't a farce either.  (4/5 for the genre)

I guess I can live without all the of A-listers except Colin Firth, whom I thought was completely carrying the film.  My he looked good and British-badass in those fight scenes.  I'd have a hard time watching the film without him.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Ant-Man (2015)

This latest entry into the Marvel Comics canon was better than I expected, and it was more serious than I expected.  I mean, it had comedic moments in the way that all of these Marvel movies have comedic moments, but it was not goofy like I initially expected it to be.  Paul Rudd is a solid leading man, Michael Douglas is superb in his role that has ties to the SHIELD organization, and Evangeline Lilly is terrific in a supporting part.  The special effects, as usual, did not disappoint.

Of course, these origin-story Marvel films always follow a similar blueprint, with a strong first hour that keeps me engaged and fascinated, and then an overly computer-generated showdown with a villain that usually has me looking at my watch.  I didn't look at my watch as often during the final 20 minutes this time.

I'd give Ant-Man a 3.5 on a scale of five, I guess.  More than anything, I liked how it leads up to Captain America: Civil War, which comes out next year.

Saw this yesterday, it was much better than I expected as well. A few of the superhero franchises are must-see for me; most are just kind of cookie-cutter, and I end up watching them out of boredom when they get to On Demand. I expected this to be in the latter category; I don't remember much about the character from my comic book reading days as a kid, and I was skeptical of Paul Rudd as a superhero. Turned out he was a good fit for the role. I thought the humor was some of the best of any Marvel movies. Noticed afterwards that Rudd & Adam McKay had screenwriting credits, that had to help. Not sure why you did not expect it to be serious - I think Marvel movies are generally notorious for taking themselves way too seriously. The action & special effects are a given, also good story & good acting (to me, Corey Stoll, who has been in everything these days, was the standout). And of course opened up the inevitable sequels, prequels, & tie-ins to other Marvel franchises.

Dave

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I haven't seen Ant-Man.  But I think the general problem with comic-book movies is that they can't take the chances that make comic-books good.  Sometimes you get these interesting minor stories that really flex a character in a difficult direction.  The aggregate of these stories are what make people love a character.  Screen time is too expensive; most of these minor stories don't have a huge emotional payoff.

So basically, anyone who likes the MCU, or the DCCU is only seeing a shadow of the complexity of the stories and character.  Minor exceptions for things like the 2nd Dark Knight; which was spot on.

Then again novel lovers have been bent about this for years.

The movie just isn't a subtle medium and is incapable of the slow-burn.

I haven't seen Ant-Man.  But I think the general problem with comic-book movies is that they can't take the chances that make comic-books good.  Sometimes you get these interesting minor stories that really flex a character in a difficult direction.  The aggregate of these stories are what make people love a character.  Screen time is too expensive; most of these minor stories don't have a huge emotional payoff.

So basically, anyone who likes the MCU, or the DCCU is only seeing a shadow of the complexity of the stories and character.  Minor exceptions for things like the 2nd Dark Knight; which was spot on.

Then again novel lovers have been bent about this for years.

The movie just isn't a subtle medium and is incapable of the slow-burn.

Well, yeah. You've only got two hours.

And with comic book movies, as opposed to many novels, you also have to make sure to appeal to the bulk of the ticket buyers, who are just there for the explosions.

Dave

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Well, yeah. You've only got two hours.

And with comic book movies, as opposed to many novels, you also have to make sure to appeal to the bulk of the ticket buyers, who are just there for the explosions.

No argument here.  But I think that's why people have migrated their interest to serial TV shows recently.

BeeRunB

No argument here.  But I think that's why people have migrated their interest to serial TV shows recently.

True. There has been so much good storytelling on TV, that my perception of movies have changed. They almost seem too short and too shallow now. Not enough time to really explore a group of characters in depth. There are still gems, but few and far between these days.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

To be honest, it's nice to see people migrate to a more nuanced media; gives me hope for humanity.

To be honest, it's nice to see people migrate to a more nuanced media; gives me hope for humanity.

Did you ever think you'd say that about television?

Anyway, just saw Amy, the documentary about Amy Winehouse. They could've called it "Trainwreck", but I guess that one was taken. Pretty much what you'd expect. Sad story.

Dave

Despite having an all-star, Wet Hot American summer, SUCKS, don't bother....

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Despite having an all-star, Wet Hot American summer, SUCKS, don't bother....

The movie, or the new series?

If it's the former...I've got to agree (haven't seen the latter).  I love The State, and about 60% of the cast and creative team are State alums...but I slogged my way through that one.  Some good gags in there, but mostly not my thing.  Maybe it's because I never went to a camp like that.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

The movie, my buddy said it was "funny as hell". I didn't think so and i haven't seen the series. I did start watching Highlander, outlander, one of those on Netflix last week. It's about a nurse that travels back in time, i actually like this so far. I've only seen 4 episodes so far though.

Hip Redux

Saw Trainwreck today - liked it a lot more than I thought I would.  But I like Amy Schumer and I like Judd Apatow movies generally, so it was probably a given that I would like this.  It has some Schumer-over-the-top sex stuff, and at times is a fairly typical rom-com plot line, but the characters are great and there are some very funny and touching scenes.

4 out of 5 Oskis.