RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Despite having an all-star, Wet Hot American summer, SUCKS, don't bother....

Part of me hates that movie and the show...but they are both so over-the-top that for some inexplicable reason I get a kick out of them.  Especially the way the show is a prequel.  With actors who are 15ish years older than in the movie and it's beyond ridiculous the way they ironically have 40-somethings playing teens and 20-somethings.

And I just can't hate Elizabeth Banks or Bradley Cooper for anything.  I pretty much give them a free pass for simply existing.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Fair enough. I just watched Calvary last night and it was freakin' awesome. The main Character Brendan Gleeson was also in another movie with Colin Farrell called In Bruges that was also wicked awesome.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yes.  Both are excellent.

steph  

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The Fantastic Four (2015) - Despite bad reviews, I thought this was one of the better action-hero films.  The origin story is playful in the beginning, giving one of the better reasons for the F4 to get their super-powers.  Miles Teller breathes life into what is usually a stale portrayal of Reed Richards.  The timing of the film is good; keeps rolling.  And the dark filming is really nice, particularly how it shows off the Human Torch and the Invisible Girl's powers.  There are some hiccups, where the plot isn't really driven internally, leading you to either say, "wuh?" or "uh, sure, okay" depending on how much you're enjoying the rest of the film.  Certainly worth seeing on Netflix. (3/5)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015) - Actually walked out of this movie after 45mins.  It's shot in T.V. show quality.  None of the actors can act.  The girl starts with an East German accent, drops it 10seconds in to sound like an American, then sprinkles in British accent markers sometimes.  The script, what I saw of it, was tedious.  Jokes were so heavy handed that the actors basically to explain them to the audience.  Really too bad, I was a fan of the T.V. show . . . when I was 10.  I'm sure it hasn't aged well either.  (0/5)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

RunJasonRun

Outland (1981)

Sean Connery plays a federal marshal who, while patrolling a mining outpost on the Jupiter moon of Io, gets in over his head when he discovers a drug ring for a narcotic that is causing several of the miners to go psychotic and commit suicide in grisly ways.  Peter Boyle (Young Frankenstein) is quite good as a general manager who is covering for the mining corporation productivity at any cost.  Outland followed in the footsteps of Ridley Scott's Alien in terms of depicting space life as gritty and non-glamourous. The portrayal of the mining colony in this movie is so well done.

I first saw Outland on HBO back in the early 1980s when I was 10 years old, and the movie gave me a few nightmares at the time, due to some wild and crazy images, namely a needle being stuck in the throat of a corpse, someone's blood dripping upward from a space suit hose in a low-gravity cell chamber, the explosions when people entered a decompressed zero-oxygen environment, and so on.  Even at the time, though, I thought that it was one of the coolest movies that I had ever seen.

The other day, when I stumbled across a Blu-ray of Outland on the three-dollar rack at a used store, it was a no-brainer to pick it up and revisit it at long last.

For so many reasons, Outland etched itself permanently into my psyche when I saw it at that young age, and, despite not having seen it for 30 years since, I remembered everything during last night's viewing, even down to specific dialogue quotes. Last night, I even found myself remembering what scenes were going to happen next at any given moment. That's the sign of a cool flick that still holds up well.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Chantilly75

Man from U.N.C.L.E.  A very faithful update to the old TV show. The clothes, language, scenery, technology were all 1960's.  The plot was fluff just like most of the TV episodes.  They even had split screens to show what the other characters were doing, like the 1960's had experimented in. I thoroughly enjoyed it. ...And for a complete 180 turn...

Straight outta Compton This was a great movie about NWA and the beginning of how violent explicit rap music was marketed to a (primed and waiting) wide audience.  A must see for music fans. Good acting, scenery.  True to the time period.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

I watched Wild the other night a dug it. I thought that she was going to get raped for sure by those crazy hunters, freaking pervs. I have a flick called Cake coming in 2-3 movies down the cue, looks interesting.

Went and saw Kingsmen: The Secret Service last night.  Summary courtesy of IMDB: A spy organization recruits an unrefined, but promising street kid into the agency's ultra-competitive training program, just as a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius.

I wasn't sure what to expect when going to see this.  From the previews it appeared to be sort of a "Sorcerer's Apprentice meets Spy Kids" type of movie.  I really had no clue.  Anyways: it's damn tough to pigeon hole this movie.  It is part Sorcerer's Apprentice, part Spy Kids, part James Bond, part Austin Powers, part class warfare, part Tarantino.  Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.  It kind of left me shaking my head as the credits rolled.  There were parts that I really like but other parts just left me saying "did I really just see/hear them do that?"

Anyways, I'm rating it 6/10 Socks.

Watched it last night. I pretty much concur with this assessment. I thought I would really enjoy it, and the first half pretty much played out as expected. But starting with the Colin Firth in the church scene, it seemed to veer off in a completely different direction. I read where Mark Strong said that Kingsman is to spy movies what Kick-Ass is to superhero movies. Which sounds about right. Any movie gets extra points with me when it strives to avoid being a cookie-cutter copy of others in the same genre. Even if not everything completely works. So there's that.

Dave

BeeRunB

A  Friday night triple feature:

Cake (2014)  Jennifer Anniston shows some dramatic chops as a woman suffering through PSTD and physical pain and obsessed with a woman from her support group that committed suicide. Kept my interest

Welcome to Me (2014) Kristen Wiig is very good in this. All I want from a comedy is to laugh and smile, and I did.

Permanent Record (1988)  Keanu Reeves starred in three very good teen-focused films in the lat 80's: River's Edge,  Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, and this one. Though it feels a tad dated now, it still works for me. There were a few scenes where the teens were all hanging out near some cliffs with their used cars from the late 70's and early 80's—symbols of their growing independence and self-expression, and I started thinking how if cars are someday driverless, these sort of scenes where teens meet out in remote areas would just not have the same power. Not a teen movie, but imagine the Steve McQueen movie Bullit done with driverless cars. You get the point.

If you guys have 75 min to kill, watch K2: Siren of the Himalaya. I think you guys will like it, there isn't a million people at basecamp wondering how to put on crampons. It's about a handful of climbers with tons of big mountain experience, Sherpas help bring their shit to basecamp and the climbers set the fixed lines, set up the high camps and such AND it's historical as well.

Joann Y

If you guys have 75 min to kill, watch K2: Siren of the Himalaya. I think you guys will like it, there isn't a million people at basecamp wondering how to put on crampons. It's about a handful of climbers with tons of big mountain experience, Sherpas help bring their shit to basecamp and the climbers set the fixed lines, set up the high camps and such AND it's historical as well.

Excellent and gorgeous film. Absolutely love the high spirit, strength, and sensitivity of these folks. The sensitivity to their environment. May have been a couple of tears with this one. Loved this line from one of the climbers: A little voice in the back of my head was going, Jake, what on earth are you doing to yourself? Are you completely mad? Are you completely bonkers? Why are you putting yourself through all this pain and this misery ultimately just to stand on a bit of snow and rock and ice a little bit higher than lots of other bits of snow and rock and ice?

Thanks for the recommendation.

Ha, I actually started watching that last night (stopped it in the middle to go to bed). Kick-ass German climbing chick who refuses to use supplemental oxygen, or sherpas at the higher altitudes. K2 is some serious shit - there are no tourists like on Everest. Only 302 summits and 80 fatalities, not very good odds.

Dave

You're welcome. It IS an awesome flick, prolly watch it again too. There is another climbing flick that is in smaller theaters nation wide, sorta, called Meru. It's about Jimmy Chin, Conrad Anker and Renan Ozturk climbing this bigwall in India.

www.merufilm.com Hopefully this is clicky for you guys. This would be a great date night flick, grab a few brews and catch an exciting flick.

Joann Y

They were talking about that on the radio this morning. I will check it out.