RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Joann Y

You're welcome. It IS an awesome flick, prolly watch it again too. There is another climbing flick that is in smaller theaters nation wide, sorta, called Meru. It's about Jimmy Chin, Conrad Anker and Renan Ozturk climbing this bigwall in India.

www.merufilm.com Hopefully this is clicky for you guys. This would be a great date night flick, grab a few brews and catch an exciting flick.

Finally watched this tonight. I just fucking love this. So so much admiration for these guys. Putting their passion way way out there and laying it on the line. Crap. Just to have a taste of that kind of love and devotion to something. Oh oh man. (not only that but such a beautiful movie too)

Joann Y

Couple other great climbing movies I just watched on netflix and amazon:

Valley Uprising is a neat movie about the history of rock climbing at Yosemite. I'd watch it again. Oh man, I used to fantasize about being Lynn Hill back in high school.

Beyond the Edge. About the Hillary/Norgay expedition. Awesome movie if you've got any interest in this kind of stuff.

I've seen Valley Uprising a couple of times and really liked it. I can't remember if I have seen Beyond the edge, if it's on Netflix then probably. I'll double check tomorrow. I can't wait for ice to start forming out here, been keeping my on Franconia and Crawford Notch, Keene, NY too. Thank you for the recommendation. If you want a good read, try Psycho Vertical by Andy Kirkpatrick.

Joann Y, Check out Norwand, The North Face. I think you'll dig this one too. It isn't streaming, I tried it the other day, need to get the DVD. It's about climbing the north face of the Eiger in 1936, Toni Kurz and Andi Hinterstoisser are the main characters in the flick. Also, a book called the White Spider, by Heinrich Harrer. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Joann Y

Joann Y, Check out Norwand, The North Face. I think you'll dig this one too. It isn't streaming, I tried it the other day, need to get the DVD. It's about climbing the north face of the Eiger in 1936, Toni Kurz and Andi Hinterstoisser are the main characters in the flick. Also, a book called the White Spider, by Heinrich Harrer. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Ooh, thanks. Will do.

SMART Approach

Saw "Get Out". Excellent movie on so many levels. A suspense thriller that you will love. This time Rotten Tomatoes 99% Tomatometer  rating by viewers was dead on. I would consider it a thriller with comedy bits vs a horror film. Jordan Peele of Key and Peele did a great job with this movie.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Must be making the rounds; heard plenty of praise about this movie from random people.

Also, Logan was really good.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Also, Logan was really good.

Oh yes, I thought it was outstanding. Certainly not your typical superhero movie, so anyone going in expecting this will be likely disappointed. But an excellent film in its own right.

Dave

No more marathons

Oh yes, I thought it was outstanding. Certainly not your typical superhero movie, so anyone going in expecting this will be likely disappointed. But an excellent film in its own right.

+1 exactly

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

BeeRunB

Jane Eyre and The Nun on Netflix were both engrossing films with strong female characters. They make a good double feature.

p.s. Just finished The Roosevelts on Netflix--excellent doc by Ken Burns.

AhedRun

Psychological thriller with Jim Carrey? You mean "Number 23"..? I love this movie! I can;t bealieve Carrey played like that, I know him as a comedian actor... I can reccomend you older movies like "Godfather" or "ScarFace". Great cast and interesting and very absorbing plot

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

20th Century Women (2016) - Annette Benning, Annette Benning, Annette Benning.  At 56, she's brilliantly beautiful.  I don't know why she didn't win an oscar for this role.  Well, I know why: because it wasn't over-done.  Hollywood loves over-done.  Anyway, this movie is complex.  No easy answers.  More a slice of life.  But it has wonderful depth of typically complicated characters.  I think my favorite parts are the women advising the 15yo boy how to be a man; the feminist shows him how to verbally seduce women.  It's wonderful.

Probably my favorite set of lines from the film, which may encapsulate it:

Son: Are you happy?

Mom: You can't ask someone a question like that!

Son: But you're my mom.

Mom: Especially your mom.

[beat]

Mom: A question like that is a short-cut to depression.

Also, Annette Benning.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

I just re-watched (for the first time since it came out in 1984) "Repo Man." Awesome soundtrack; completely hilarious.

mikejonson7501

I agree, Borat is awesome film I like it very much 

Do your best to reach your goals )))

Joann Y

Just got a message in my inbox about this movie playing on Thursday night only. The Snowman Trek. Anna Frost, Tim Olson, et al in Bhutan. That's all I know. Probably going! Trailer looks good and it'll be fun to see Bhutan and trails on the big screen. Seems like one date only limited theaters. fyi!