RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

On a completely unrelated note, watched Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle again this weekend. I'm sorry, I know this makes me seem like an immature pothead, but that is a FUNNY movie.
    Hey, that was Kumar at the Inaugural concert.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

Incidentally. Marley and Me.
      Was that really Kathleen Turner? From "Body Heat"? Time passes on...

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

xor

Was that really Kathleen Turner? From "Body Heat"? Time passes on...
        Yes. Well, in between, she was "Chandler's dad." I stopped paying attention.

325th place or bust!

Just finished watching "She" (1935). A mildly decent film about the search for immortality. "the immortally cold queen known as She Who Must Be Obeyed"... If I ever get married I'm going to use that to refer to my wife.

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

skinnycaponesugar

Two good ones (warning, I might be a few months behind due to Southern Hemispheresm) Slumdog Millionaire The ...case...Benjamin Button

Love, Run, Sleep

Gran Torino. Thumbs up, a great movie.
              +1 on this suggestion. One of the best I have seen in awhile.
                3 great movies, but carry at least one, maybe two, boxes of Kleenex if you are going to endure all 3 in a row (hoping these haven't already been talked about): The Boy in the Striped Pajamas The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Seven Pounds Also watched a very non-PC movie called "In Bruges." Let's just say I wouldn't let any of the kiddies hang out while it's on the TV, but I liked it . . . in a sick-minded sort of way.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

The voice of mile 18

Seven Pounds
                  wow the critics just trashed that one I was still going to see it but after a lot of other stuff

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Did they? I never listen to critics. Usually what I like, critics don't. Guess I wouldn't make a good critic. Wink

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

Encore Retroplex is showing Heaven's Gate tonight... one of the most famous film disasters of all time. It's really not as bad as all that, but it is so very very long. Anyway, one of the interesting things about the movie is the cinematography. It has beautiful visuals, though washed out colors. Of course, Retroplex is showing the pan-and-scan (aka, not widescreen) version. Which kind of negates the whole thing. Argh. The version they are showing is the almost-4-hour cut. 8:35p-12:20a. I can run a marathon faster than it takes to watch this version. The original was over 5 (!) hours long. The one in theaters got cut much shorter... shorter than the one I'm watching. For some wacky stuff, here is the imdb trivia page for this movie.

Slumdog Millionaire
                        I second this recommendation. I saw this Saturday night and thought it was a great movie. I almost bought the book last year before I even knew it was going to be a movie ("Q&A" is the original title of the book) and now I'm disappointed I didn't. It was well acted and a good story...and it wasn't a sequel, remake, knock-off of something else, retro TV show, etc., at least not that I'm aware of.
                        xor

Slumdog Millionaire has HORRIBLE advertising. Just terrible. I hate movies that give it all away in the trailer, but here's *all* I know about SM: 1. It may or may not be Indian. 2. It may or may not involve some kind of gameshow. 3. It has a strange name. 4. Everybody loves it. Yes, I realize I could get the plot from the internet... but I'd be scared of spoilering, just like a trailer that gives away the whole movie. My point is that I think they couldn't do a WORSE job advertising it. I have no idea what the hell this movie is.

A brief spoiler free synopsis... It's the story of three orpahns growing up in the slums of Mumbai (two brothers and a young girl). One is suspected of cheating on the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, but that is really just a plot device to tell the story of what they have gone through. Most of the movie uses flashbacks to explain how the contestant answered the questions as he is being interrogated by the Indian police. Probably didn't tell you much more, but I don't want to give away any spoilers.

Imminent Catastrophe

Slumdog Millionaire: How could an uneducated "slumdog" orphan, working as a lowly chaiwalla (tea-boy) from the slums possibly know who is on a U.S. $100 bill? Who invented the revolver? How he knows these things is the story. The funny thing is, the movie is, itself, an underdog story about an underdog story. The producers tried to sell it to all the major studios but were rejected. So they were going to go direct-to-disk when Fox Searchlight decided to take a chance on it... Cha-ching! 10 Oscar nominations. It makes you wonder, how many great films do we never see because the big studios decide they are not "marketable" to the Britney and Hannah Montana crowd?

skinnycaponesugar

What got me about Slumdog Millionaire is the feeling that children do grow up in that kind of environment, going through some horrific experiences. It seems very real...

Love, Run, Sleep