RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just saw "The Watchmen" And wow, It was... I don't even know. I think I enjoyed it? Although wayyyy too much violence and sex for me though. I liked the whole "End of the world" theme and Dr. Manhattan though.
    So not one to take our 8 year old to, huh? Saw the first big trailer for Star Trek. Man, I hope we can bring the kid to see that. It looks WAY cool...and I'm not even a Trekkie.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

So not one to take our 8 year old to, huh? Saw the first big trailer for Star Trek. Man, I hope we can bring the kid to see that. It looks WAY cool...and I'm not even a Trekkie.
      Oh god definitely don't take your kid there. The violence is "Saw" levels at times. And yeah I saw that new trailer and I have to say I'm really excited to see that if it's good.
      2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
        We recently saw a Mexican film (Y Tu Mama Tambien) that we really liked...
        This is a great movie and I'm quite sure many parts were cut to get it on television. Big grin I have never seen an edited version of it but I can imagine it would change the entire story. The Motorcycle Diaries also stars Gael García Bernal, and is an excellent, excellent movie about early Che Guevera, before he became who we all know him for. It's one of my favorite movies, and it's also a really good book. Anyone seen Return to Witch Mountain yet? I'll watch the thread for reviews... want to take my son. He's only 6 but I think he can take it - I heard it was good for kids 8 and up. He LOVES X-Men, and that's for kids 11 and up (commonsense media website rating), so I figure Witch Mountain might be OK. ???

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is a great movie and I'm quite sure many parts were cut to get it on television. Big grin I have never seen an edited version of it but I can imagine it would change the entire story. The Motorcycle Diaries also stars Gael García Bernal, and is an excellent, excellent movie about early Che Guevera, before he became who we all know him for. It's one of my favorite movies, and it's also a really good book.
          GGB is a gorgeous specimen. Evil grin I have no idea how they could air Y Tu Mama Tambien on cable and have it make sense...they would have to cut at least one crucial scene. Speaking of X-Men...I don't think my kid has seen those. I should watch the first one with him tonite. He LOVES anything with superheros and if he can handle the first Hellboy I'm sure X-Men will be fine, too. The second one is better, though. I'm guessing the new Wolverine movie will be too much, unfortunately.

~ Sarah Kay

Acquaintance of mine passed out on exiting Watchmen. They also commented there was a little too much blue glow penis in the film. I have been waiting to see Watchmen on IMAX. Last Theater movie, I saw was Taken, which I thought was decent.

Vim

GGB is a gorgeous specimen. Evil grin I have no idea how they could air Y Tu Mama Tambien on cable and have it make sense...they would have to cut at least one crucial scene. Speaking of X-Men...I don't think my kid has seen those. I should watch the first one with him tonite. He LOVES anything with superheros and if he can handle the first Hellboy I'm sure X-Men will be fine, too. The second one is better, though. I'm guessing the new Wolverine movie will be too much, unfortunately.
              I'm a Diego Luna fan myself. Evil grin My son LOVED X-Men, and he's 6. He also loved X-Men 2, but I had to sit right there and sometimes tell him what was going to happen... he doesn't mind when things look like they're going bad for the good guys, as long as he knows a little bit of the story in advance. So we started X-Men 3 but he didn't last very long -- it was WAY too scary. Kids are funny... I figured he wouldn't like X-Men or Harry Potter at this age. He loves ALL the Harry Potter movies, X-Men, and yet Monster House was the most frightening thing in the world for him. I had to stop that movie about 20 minutes in, when the house called the little boy on the phone. My poor child was sitting there in front of the television, barely breathing and looked like he was about to burst into tears. We won't be revisiting that one... but he told me he wants to try X-Men 3 when he's 7. Big grin

Michelle

Imminent Catastrophe

The Wrestler. Wow, powerful, gritty, and what a performance by Mickey Rourke. Not uplifting, however!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

12-week layoff

Witch Mountain is good dumb fun. Some fighting, no naughty words, and one mildly scary alien. Parts of the movie are slow so a younger child would get antsy. My DD is 7 and liked it.
                  xor

So, tell me if I have this straight. The was once a movie called The Fast and The Furious. Then there were two sequels. Now for the third sequel, they've come up with the very creative name Fast & Furious. That's more of a 'fuck it' title than Snakes on a Plane.

Imminent Catastrophe

That's more of a 'fuck it' title than Snakes on a Plane.
                      I watched Snakes on a Plane on a plane.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Menace to Sobriety

So, tell me if I have this straight. The was once a movie called The Fast and The Furious. Then there were two sequels. Now for the third sequel, they've come up with the very creative name Fast & Furious. That's more of a 'fuck it' title than Snakes on a Plane.
                        I thought Vin Deisel's 15 minutes were up.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I thought Vin Deisel's 15 minutes were up.
                          Unfortunately, no.Roll eyes

~ Sarah Kay

My dh and I took our almost 4-year old to see Monsters vs. Aliens last weekend. It was pretty cute. My son actually sat through the entire movie. He usually just up and walks out once the popcorn runs dry. When the popcorn is gone he usually looks at me and says "Mom, look, there's no more popcorn. I'm going home." Then he quietly picks up his booster seat and leaves. My dh and I watched Milk the other week. We both really enjoyed it. Except for the whole murder thing, it made me almost want to run for public office.

Imminent Catastrophe

I just watched "Airplane!"---again. Damn. Still the funniest movie ever made. The original uncut version, not the pathetic, politically correct, neutered network TV version. It's like "Blazing Saddles", don't even bother to watch the censored version. It sucks.

It still holds up. In laughs per minute and memorable quotes per minute, it's in a league of its own. 

Only "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" even comes close. 

Plus, Julie Hagerty was hot. And a darling figure... supple, pouting breasts... firm thighs. 

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue. Heh. 

And when I watched the classic "The High and the Mighty" (ironically I watched this on a Honolulu-San Francisco flight. Really!) I realized why they signed Robert Stack to play Striker. 

Monty python was one of my all time favorites. I've seen it at least a dozen times. The wife and I saw The Hangover last weekend and it was real funny. It's definitely like Old School so if you liked it you will like The Hangover. MTA as I was typing funny it started looking like one of those words that just doesn't look like a word to meSmile. Not even going to try and say it fast 30 times hehe.