RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

127 Hours. 

Wow.

Good for those moments when you think you're in a bad spot.

I remind my son (age 8) of this story every time we go hiking and he starts complaining that his feet hurt.  I told him the story the first time last summer on a hike.  A couple weeks ago we were on a hike and he started bellyaching around mile 4.  I said "well, we could just cut your foot off" and I took my pack off, looking for my knife.  He was quiet (about his feet) for the last 2 miles.  Big grin 

Michelle

I saw Run for Your Life yesterday. It's centered around the relentless, devoted, restless, unsettled, and somewhat tragic figure, Fred Lebow.  

It provides a picture of the early days of the NYC Marathon and the NYRR club, and includes interviews with some interesting figures including Bill Rodgers, Katherine Switzer, Alberto Salazar and Grete Waitz (who won 9 out 11 attempts). 

Some cool footage from the 70s and 80s. 

This isn't a movie for those looking for blood-pumping race footage. But if you're interested in the history of our sport, you'll enjoy it.  Worth a watch if you're a race director.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

BeeRunB

Finally, after all these years, I watched Lawrence of Arabia with Peter O'Tool, Omar Sharif, Anthony Quinn, and Alec Guiness (Obi Wan plays Prince Faisal).  A great, strange, and beautifully photographed epic adventure. In terms of the cinematography, I don't think a TV does it justice though. Must be incredible on the big screen.

--Jimmy

xor

Oh, it is.  Amazing.

I hope you at least got to see the letterbox/widescreen version.  LoA is a movie that pan-and-scan absolutely destroys.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, it is.  Amazing.

I hope you at least got to see the letterbox/widescreen version.  LoA is a movie that pan-and-scan absolutely destroys.

Yes.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

wannaberunner

I look my best blurry!

We went to see Adjustment Bureau Sat night.  I wasn't expecting much and I wouldn't say it is a MUST SEE but it was a really enjoyable movie.  Definitely a good night out and worth seeing.  Romantic but not over the top mushy or anything.  A date night movie the guys won't hate.  

xor

We went to see Adjustment Bureau Sat night.  I wasn't expecting much and I wouldn't say it is a MUST SEE but it was a really enjoyable movie.  Definitely a good night out and worth seeing.  Romantic but not over the top mushy or anything.  A date night movie the guys won't hate.  

And: hats.

BeeRunB

Oh, it is.  Amazing.

Yeah, I saw the letterbox version on TCM. They played it like a real movie experience with overture, intermission and entr'act. The desert scenes around the wells were just incredible. David Lean was a ballsy director. 

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, I saw the letterbox version on TCM. They played it like a real movie experience with overture, intermission and entr'act. The desert scenes around the wells were just incredible. David Lean was a ballsy director. 

Also Dr. Zhivago. Must be seen in its full width.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

BeeRunB

Also Dr. Zhivago. Must be seen in its full width.

GOod tip. One more thing on Lawrence of Arabia. My wife said she was digging the fact there were no love

stories in it, which tends to be the formula. Although LAwrence's relationship with

his two young servants was hinted at being a love story of a sort.

Tramps

I had a similar experience with Lawrence of Arabia a few years ago.  Awesome film.  Smile

Three additions from Netflix I can recommend highly:

Hunger—powerful, unflinching look at Bobby Sands’ 1981 hunger strike in Ireland.  And there’s even a running connection: Sands was a cross-country runner as a youth, something that plays a role in the film.

Nobody Knows About Persian Cats—ultra low-budget movie filmed entirely in Iran (surreptitiously without permits) that focuses on the underground indie music scene in Tehran.  Not a documentary, but no professional actors and a thin plot created to highlight various bands and music styles.  It oozes authenticity, putting a little-seen face on Iran’s youth.

Animal Kingdom—better known film about Australian small-time criminal family. (The supporting actress won an Oscar this year.) Very nicely done.

Enjoy.

Be safe. Be kind.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We just rented Monsters...it was really good.  Low budget sci-fi (sorta...it was less about effects and more about the developing relationship between the 2 main characters).  Very good.  The ending was particularly good.  Really thought the unknown actors were great.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I watched Monsters last weekend... good stuff.  I was pleasantly surprised; not bad for an (I assume) indie film.

But I also watched Paranormal Activity 2... holy crap, those are 2 hours that I'm never going to get back.  If you watch this, consider jacking up the framerate, because there's a whole lot of nothing going on for most of the movie.  (I'm not an ADD type who needs constant action, either.  I thought the first movie was alright, but this one took the Big-Brother-style-security-camera-looking-at-a-kitchen-and-then-five-minutes-later-a-cupboard-mysteriously-opens thing a little too far.)

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

running with brute force

I watched Monsters last weekend... good stuff.  I was pleasantly surprised; not bad for an (I assume) indie film.

But I also watched Paranormal Activity 2... holy crap, those are 2 hours that I'm never going to get back.  If you watch this, consider jacking up the framerate, because there's a whole lot of nothing going on for most of the movie.  (I'm not an ADD type who needs constant action, either.  I thought the first movie was alright, but this one took the Big-Brother-style-security-camera-looking-at-a-kitchen-and-then-five-minutes-later-a-cupboard-mysteriously-opens thing a little too far.)

i found the original paranormal activity was way more scary than the second one.

Races (so far) for 2011

- May 1st 2011 - Cox HM

- June 25th 2011 - Warrior Dash

- Aug 7th 2011 RnR Providence

Saw  "Dick" last night.

My god, what a hoot!!!!

Especially since I'm a huge fan of " All the President's Men" 

This movie had me cracking up!

- Anya