RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

BeeRunB

Well, I finally did it and watched Gone With The Wind. I had known the Rhett Butler "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn" clip for years, and always wandered what led up to that. WOW! I did not expect the movie to not only be that good, but also not to depict one of the most selfish, narcissistic and driven heroines ever in the movies: Scarlet O'Hara. I really did not expect that tour de force. Vivian Leigh showed some serious acting chops--ahead of her time acting chops, as did Clark Gable, Hattie McDaniel and Olivia de Havilland (what a beautiful women). I thought Leslie Howard as Ashley was a bit stiff. The other supporting characters were wonderful and strange. Beautifully photographed film. Very baudy for its time:

"No, I don't think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how."--Rhett to Scarlett

Rhett ain't talking about kissing. Funny, the next morning after Rhett carries her up the stairs, Scarlett is in bed all happy, smiles and acting like her soul was cleansed of all sin. Rhett must know how to kiss.

The film held no punches in depicting the suffering and waste of war.

I almost felt like I watched a well-edited mini-series. It was a nice ride.

A week before watching GWTW, I watched which is now one of my favorite all-time films: The Third Man. I won't give anything away, but I loved the last scene. The movie was so wonderfully photographed in black and white. Great acting  for its time.

--Jimmy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

GWTW really is fantastic.  I have not seen it in years...and not on a big TV screen.  Hmmm...perhaps we should rent that really soon.  I'm not sure DH has ever seen it.

Speaking of beautiful movies, I am really excited to find out that one of our nearby theaters is doing a series of classic films, including The Sound of Music.  We're planning to take our son to a weekend matinee ($4!!).  I've never seen that on the big screen (well, I take that back...I think when I was maybe in 5th or 6th grade we watched it projected in the gym, but the sound would have been crappy, so that probably doesn't count).  DS went through a phase a few years ago where he wanted to watch that movie on a daily basis.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just saw Super.  I laughed out loud a lot - Rainn Wilson is fun to watch, but it is really, really dark.  

Imminent Catastrophe

A week before watching GWTW, I watched which is now one of my favorite all-time films: The Third Man. I won't give anything away, but I loved the last scene. The movie was so wonderfully photographed in black and white. Great acting  for its time.

--Jimmy

Orson Welles, what a genius!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Well, I finally did it and watched Gone With The Wind. I had known the Rhett Butler "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn" clip for years, and always wandered what led up to that. WOW! I did not expect the movie to not only be that good, but also not to depict one of the most selfish, narcissistic and driven heroines ever in the movies: Scarlet O'Hara. I really did not expect that tour de force. Vivian Leigh showed some serious acting chops--ahead of her time acting chops, as did Clark Gable, Hattie McDaniel and Olivia de Havilland (what a beautiful women). I thought Leslie Howard as Ashley was a bit stiff. The other supporting characters were wonderful and strange. Beautifully photographed film. Very baudy for its time:

"No, I don't think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how."--Rhett to Scarlett

Rhett ain't talking about kissing. Funny, the next morning after Rhett carries her up the stairs, Scarlett is in bed all happy, smiles and acting like her soul was cleansed of all sin. Rhett must know how to kiss.

The film held no punches in depicting the suffering and waste of war.

I almost felt like I watched a well-edited mini-series. It was a nice ride.

--Jimmy

We are watching it right now!!!!!!!! I've never really seen it before.  Well, when I was a kid. 

We are not done yet, but, I tell ya, Scarlett is one shrewd, self serving piece of work!!!!  I can't wait to finish it. 

I love having Roku / Netflix instant.  It's so easy to pause a movie and go back.  I love it!!!!

- Anya

I finally rented "Black Swan" and it was...well...disturbing.  Natalie Portman was awesome and believable in it but the whole cutting fingernails, back scratching, freakish mother, frustrated sexual energy, weird schizophrenic delusional theme kind of rubbed me wrong.  Whew.  I need a nice friendly family movie to take away that bad vibe.   Maybe I need to rent GWTW.   Sad

xor

Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

It was great big fun although I definitely spent the whole movie feeling "hey, this is totally not directed at my demographic".  A comic book/video game movie that completely embraces those concepts instead of trying to morph into a more-real-world something.

Besides, watching Michael Cera (aka George Michael) put on moves straight out of Kill Bill was immensely satisfying.

It was great big fun although I definitely spent the whole movie feeling "hey, this is totally not directed at my demographic".  A comic book/video game movie that completely embraces those concepts instead of trying to morph into a more-real-world something.

Besides, watching Michael Cera (aka George Michael) put on moves straight out of Kill Bill was immensely satisfying.

I could not even finish watching that. I felt way too old. And I got very sick of Michael Cera very fast. 

I saw Water for Elephants recently. I have a new appreciation for Robert Pattinson. Even though "VAMPIRE!" popped through my head every time he appeared on screen. And I've never seen any of the Twilight movies.

xor

I have never seen/read a Twilight either, but THAT is specifically why I haven't been interested in the elephant movie.  I see a trailer and I say "pasty dude from twilight.  nah"

BeeRunB

Watched the documentary "Waiting For Superman", which is about the sorry state of our public school system and the obstacles to fixing it. It's not just urban schools with the problem. Highly recommend it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have never seen/read a Twilight either, but THAT is specifically why I haven't been interested in the elephant movie.  I see a trailer and I say "pasty dude from twilight.  nah"

I adore Reese Witherspoon, but the vampire dude is the deal-breaker for me, as well.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I really loved it...lots of fun.  I know Michael Cera wears on some...but his adorableness never gets old to me.

xor

What's the deal in movies now where the 20-something or 30-something dude is dating a chick in high school??  This came up in both Scott Pilgrim and Pineapple Express.

WEIRD.

I also saw Cedar Rapids this week.  It was enjoyable...nothing crazy funny, but a fun, short movie (I like short movies - keep 'em under 2 hours people!).  John C. Reilly's character wore what I can only assume was his high school class ring the whole time - for some reason that detail made the movie for me.

xor

One more thing about Scott Pilgrim... it seems to exist in the "what year is this??" time vortex kinda like Napoleon Dynamite.  They never outright state a year during the movie, and SP is more subtle than ND.  But there are a few odd things in it.  Like the AOL "You've got mail!" voice, phones with rotary dial, big round glasses, and hanging out at the giant CD shop.  BUT: Scott drinks coke zero.  So there you go.