RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Cars 2 was more violent than I was expecting. I suppose some would call the violence "action" but I thought it was too much for a rated G movie. Also it was a bit boring.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

34% at Rottentomatoes.  Wow.  Is that a low for Pixar?

That said, I 'spect it won't matter for my 3 year old.

Jill_B

I fly.

34% at Rottentomatoes.  Wow.  Is that a low for Pixar?

That said, I 'spect it won't matter for my 3 year old.

My 3 year old didn't love it.  He kept asking me why there were no people in it.  My 6 year old LOVED it.  I was bored.

Bring it on.

when I'm unsure about a movie for kids I usually check commonsense media and/or pluggedin.com

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/cars-2

http://www.pluggedin.com/movies/intheaters/cars2.aspx

Tramps

“Of Gods and Men.”  Based on real events, the plot is about a small group of French Trappist monks in Algeria in the mid-1990s who have long worked with the local Muslim community but who are targeted by a sect of violent Islamic fundamentalists.  So there's Islam/Christianity stuff, but really, this French-language movie is about how the monks grapple with what to do as it becomes clear they—sooner or later--are likely to face violence, perhaps death.  In this sense, it’s a psychological portrait. It’s also a remarkably pious movie, without a hint of cynicism, while being a very humanist film at the same time.  Finally, the cinematography is stunning—amazing use of light, shadow, color, framing, and shots that linger as you soak in the moment.

Be safe. Be kind.

Midnight in Paris.

Awesome movie. Very entertaining.  Who knew Owen Wilson could act?    

- Anya

Captain America...see it.  Only 2 little flaws in my book, otherwise a nice classic, super hero movie. Tommy Lee Jones steals the show.  Stay after the credits for a nice teaser too.

xor

For years, I've called those big, chunky motorcycle outfits "super hero suits".  Based on what I've seen, that's a lot like what Captain America wears in this movie... although I've heard he gets switched to spandex down the road.

Tramps

Today, something totally different.  RANGO!!

Yup.

Surreal in places.

Be safe. Be kind.

Cool Jump Suit

Rented Cedar Rapids last night.  Being in the insurance game myself made it extra funny.  I would check it out; worth the dollar for the Redbox.  Just keep the kids out of the room.  I could have done a better job of this during the movie.  Embarrassed

So bittersweet,
                      This tragedy
                      Won't ask for absolution;
                      This melody,
                      Inside of me,
                      Still searches for solution.
                      A twist of faith,
                      A change of heart
                      Cures my infatuation.
                      A broken heart, 
                      Provides the spark
                      For my determination.

Rented Cedar Rapids last night.  Being in the insurance game myself made it extra funny.  I would check it out; worth the dollar for the Redbox.  Just keep the kids out of the room.  I could have done a better job of this during the movie.  Embarrassed

oh, man, I just downgraded my Netflix to instant only.  Bummer!    I've been dying to see this.  And, yes, I'm in the biz.

- Anya

You're welcome!

Imminent Catastrophe

There are few things in life more aggravating than watching Blazing Saddles on AMC. Harrumph!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

BeeRunB

Watched A Boy And His Dog  this weekend. Don Johnson and his dog in post-apocalyptic America. Fun and weird. Good one.

Menace to Sobriety

Watched A Boy And His Dog  this weekend. Don Johnson and his dog in post-apocalyptic America. Fun and weird. Good one.

I saw this at the local art house back in 1974-ish. Johnson was a kid, way before Sonny Crocket. It is an interesting fun  movie, though.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.