RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I watched Glengarry Glenross last night.  Would not recommend it unless you really like plays.  I felt like I was watching a play and despite the awesome cast, I think they are better as movie actors, and I felt they were acting like stage actors and in my generally non-picky opinion, it did not translate well to the screen.

But, I recently started watching Black Books (the english comedy) which I got from Netflix.  It's not streaming (that I know of) but it is well worth watching if you like British humor.  That and "The IT Crowd" are my two current Brit favs.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

I watched Glengarry Glenross last night.  Would not recommend it unless you really like plays.  I felt like I was watching a play and despite the awesome cast, I think they are better as movie actors, and I felt they were acting like stage actors and in my generally non-picky opinion, it did not translate well to the screen.

I LOVE Glengarry Glenross...especially Alan Arkin.  But I love Alan Arkin in anything...so take that with a grain of salt.

Saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  I went in with low expectations...but ended up pleasantly surprised.  Their nods to the original movies was a bit much and actually took me out of the moment, but for the most part it was an enjoyable film.  Andy Serkis once again pulls off a great monkey.

Cool Jump Suit

Saw 'The King's Speech' last night on video.  I was surprised it kept my attention the way it did.  This is normally not my genre of movie, but it moved well and had a subtle sense of humor.  I love to watch British people curse.  Makes me happy inside.  They should just be done with it and give Academy Awards to all British actors.  Here, here.

So bittersweet,
        This tragedy
        Won't ask for absolution;
        This melody,
        Inside of me,
        Still searches for solution.
        A twist of faith,
        A change of heart
        Cures my infatuation.
        A broken heart, 
        Provides the spark
        For my determination.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love to watch British people curse.  Makes me happy inside.

You mean like this?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Cool Jump Suit

You mean like this?

Exactly.  Makes me smile every time.  Smile

So bittersweet,
            This tragedy
            This melody,
            Inside of me,
            A twist of faith,
            A change of heart
            Cures my infatuation.
            A broken heart, 
            Provides the spark
            For my determination.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Source Code...for the first 2/3 I was sorta *meh*, but then it got really freakin' cool.  Excellent ending.  Stick with it, even if it seems sorta formulaic and repetitive at first.  It's not a sci-fi rehashing of Groundhog Day.

~ Sarah Kay

Source Code...for the first 2/3 I was sorta *meh*, but then it got really freakin' cool.  Excellent ending.  Stick with it, even if it seems sorta formulaic and repetitive at first.  It's not a sci-fi rehashing of Groundhog Day.

I need to watch this...I think I will like it.  I love any movies that have a time element, I love Groundhog Day, Inception and though I don't really mean time travel I do love the Time Traveler's Wife.  If you ever get a chance to see 12:01 PM, it is a great little short...serious and kind of a downer, but really good.

Cool Jump Suit

Rented a number of movies this weekend:

1.  The Dilemma - Pretty good movie, just a bit disjointed.  I love Vince Vaughn and thought he was really funny.  Kevin James...not as much.  They kind of drug out the plot a bit for me.  Could have been about 15 min shorter. 

2. Secretariat - Awesome movie!! Great acting and a great true story.  Not a horse racing buff, but I did know somethings regarding the horse and that helped fill in some gaps.  I was born 9 days after he won the triple crown. 

3.  The Conspirator - Only recommend if you are famiiar with the time period.  (Post Civil War)  I knew a bit about what was going on, but still felt a step behind most of the movie.   Robin Wright was good as Mary Surratt. 

4.  The Fighter - Another good movie.  I've always been a boxing fan though.  Didn't even recognize Christian Bale. Even though it was hard to watch his character as the older brother destroy himself, it totally made the movie work. 

So bittersweet,
                  This tragedy
                  This melody,
                  Inside of me,
                  A twist of faith,
                  A change of heart
                  Cures my infatuation.
                  A broken heart, 
                  Provides the spark
                  For my determination.

Mame.

With Lucielle Ball and Robert Preston.

Wow! 

This movie is pretty " out there" that's for sure.  But, Lucy looks darn good for being 62 here. Plus, no botox back then either!

- Anya

Tramps

The Robber is a psychological portrait of an Austrian serial bank robber who is also…wait for it…a successful marathon runner.  Loosely based on the real life of Johann Kastenberger, the film is low-key and somewhat opaque in its existential explorations.  It wasn’t a great movie and I wouldn’t even mention it, but how many films show the lead character repeatedly taking off his heart-rate monitor after runs (his HR spikes during robberies!) and uploading his Garmin-like sports watch to some training software?  (There was a missed opportunity for some great RA product placement here.)  There are even a couple marathon scenes, some more believable than others. 

Be safe. Be kind.

And: hats.

I was OK with the movie (Adjustment Bureau) until the hats bit started...in fact, the first 45 minutes, I thought the dialogue was really well written...but the hats bit was a little too gimmicky for me.  If that was a part of the original story, I would have left that part out.  Other than that, I enjoyed it. 

Cool Jump Suit

Rented Friends with Benefits with little expectation.  (Wife is a big JT fan)  But I actually enjoyed it.  It was pretty funny.  And yes, predictable, but I didn't mind. 

So bittersweet,
                          This tragedy
                          This melody,
                          Inside of me,
                          A twist of faith,
                          A change of heart
                          Cures my infatuation.
                          A broken heart, 
                          Provides the spark
                          For my determination.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Haywire is very cool...definitely shades of Jason Bourne, but with a female lead, instead.  I wouldn't mess with her. Black eye

~ Sarah Kay

We Bought A Zoo.

Good movie, yes. Sad?  Very.  I cried through much of it.  I guess it was my own fault for not reading the reviews, and it hit very close to home.

I just want to know one thing.  Why does Hollywood make so many movies where the mother is dead, anyway?

This one was tough to watch.  It felt like an emotional roller coaster.

- Anya

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Over the weekend we rented Hanna.  We all really liked it, including DS.  He's on a bit of a badass protagonist jag, after having watched all 3 Jason Bourne films and the first Daniel Craig James Bond movie (we had to explain to him that Bond is a womanizer, when he was confused by Bond making out with another dude's chick).  I think he liked that Hanna is a badass kid.  He's starting to really analyze plot and dialogue, too, which is pretty cool.

~ Sarah Kay