RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Is there anything that makes this Spider Man more amazing than the very similar movie from 2002?  The Lizard just looks like crappy Godzilla and I already KNOW Spider Man's origin.

Anyone go see it?

I haven't seen the new one yet, but the high point (such as it is) in spider man movies was actually spider man 2. 

We know the basic story with all these old comic hero based movies, so it's all about how well the movie is put together...

We know the basic story with all these old comic hero based movies, so it's all about how well the movie is put together...

Ahhh, but this is a "re-imagining" of the original story - so, you know it will be good.

Or not.

I'm not going to see it...I loved the first Sam Raimi Spiderman.

I DO want to see The Possession though.  I really am a sucker for Raimi.

I really am a sucker for Raimi.

Yeah - although Evil Dead is his best, and as far as I know, the first full length feature he made.

Yeah - although Evil Dead is his best, and as far as I know, the first full length feature he made.

I love Evil Dead, and Army of Darkness...but I think The Quick and the Dead is a great film...highly under-rated.

I'm not going to see it...I loved the first Sam Raimi Spiderman.

Or...since I see movies for free and it was 110F...I saw it last night.

It was TERRIBLE.  Capital T, capital everything terrible.  Laughably so...I actually laughed out loud a lot at the funny parts...except they weren't supposed to be funny.  Visually, beautiful, shot brilliantly...the acting and the story and the dialogue and the everything else...just awful.  He was a terrible Peter Parker (and I don't even care enough Google the actor's name that played him) - all wrong.

Anyway...I'm 2 for 2 with bad movies now...Prometheus and this...Batman better be awesome.

evansjanet820

Ra.One (Full: Random Access Version One[ri 1]) is a 2011 Indian science fiction superhero film directed and co-written by Anubhav Sinha. Co-produced by Eros International and Red Chillies Entertainment, the film features Shahrukh Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Arjun Rampal, Shahana Goswami and Tom Wu in pivotal roles, and follows a game designer who lives in London with his wife and son. He designs a motion sensor-based game in which the antagonist is more powerful than the protagonist. The former escapes from the game into the real world, and begins to track down Lucifer, the game ID of the only player to have defeated him.

Sinha was struck with the idea of the film when he saw a television commercial showing children controlling a human with a remote. He began the film's development in 2004; the pre-production started in 2007. Principal photography began in March 2010 and took place in India and the United Kingdom after Miami was dropped as a location. The film's post-production involved stereoscopic conversion and visual effects, the latter of which was recognised as a technological breakthrough among Indian films. With an official budget of INR125 crore (US$24.94 million), Ra.One was one of the most expensive Indian films at the time of release, though other estimates placed the budget at higher levels. A further INR52 crore (US$10.37 million) was spent on the film's marketing, which included a nine-month publicity campaign, brand tie-ups, merchandise, theme-based video games and viral marketing.

Ra.One was initially scheduled to release on June 3, 2011, but the film's post-production encountered significant delays. The film also faced controversies involving plagiarism, content leaks and copyright challenges. Subsequently, the release was delayed to the five-day Diwali weekend which began on October 26, 2011. The film premiered in Dubai, London and Toronto between October 24 and 26, 2011, and witnessed the largest Indian cinematic release worldwide as of 2011. Additionally, the film was screened in 3D and dubbed versions. The film itself was preceded by high expectations and significant optimism regarding its commercial success.

Critical reactions to the film were lukewarm in India, with unanimous acclaim for production values but criticism towards the script and direction. Conversely, the overseas critical reception was generally positive. Commercially, Ra.One became the third highest-grossing Bollywood film of 2011 and broke a number of box office opening records, but failed to sustain its collections. While the box office website Box Office India declared Ra.One a domestic "hit" and overseas "super hit," several trade analysts deemed the box office performance as "average" and pointed out that the film failed to meet expectations. Ra.One won a number of awards primarily for technical aspects, notably one National Film Award, one Filmfare Award and four International Indian Film Academy Awards. However, the film itself received dishonorable awards like "Worst Film," namely two Golden Kela Awards and one Ghanta Award.

We're rewatching "Helter Skelter"

OMG, does anyone else love this movie as much as we do?  Steve Railsback is brilliant!

- Anya

Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

It was great big fun although I definitely spent the whole movie feeling "hey, this is totally not directed at my demographic".  A comic book/video game movie that completely embraces those concepts instead of trying to morph into a more-real-world something.

Besides, watching Michael Cera (aka George Michael) put on moves straight out of Kill Bill was immensely satisfying.

OK, I know I originally said I really loved it...but I had only watched it once at that point.

Now that I've seen it more than 20 times (thanks to HBO - it's on every day 10 times a day...I put it on in the background a lot - I don't really have time to just watch a movie 20 times) - I really, really, really love it.  I love it more each time I see it. I get that it isn't directed at my demographic...but it is a super smart film.  Every time I see it I see some lovely little detail I didn't see before.  And at first I really didn't think Jason Schwartzman belonged - but his delivery really is amazing...he's one of my favorite parts ("the acoustics in here are amAAzing" - I can rewind and listen to that line all day).  Anyway, it is very slick and very well done and quite amazing.

xor

Wait.  Prometheus was bad?

I (obviously) didn't go see it, but I put it in my netflix queueueueue.

I can't believe that I watched Scott Pilgrim in May 2011.  Since then, my cable plan dropped HBO and I'm back to seeing everything on netflix.  The difference is gigantic... specifically because I watch something via netflix once.  Whereas 'the HBO effect' means I see something about 1,000 times.

Which is why lots of those 80s movies are things I can quote word for word.  It was beaten into me by repeated viewings.  Not so w/ netflix.

Wait.  Prometheus was bad?

I (obviously) didn't go see it, but I put it in my netflix queueueueue.

I can't believe that I watched Scott Pilgrim in May 2011.  Since then, my cable plan dropped HBO and I'm back to seeing everything on netflix.  The difference is gigantic... specifically because I watch something via netflix once.  Whereas 'the HBO effect' means I see something about 1,000 times.

Which is why lots of those 80s movies are things I can quote word for word.  It was beaten into me by repeated viewings.  Not so w/ netflix.

Prometheus is really terrible...really, really terrible. Not Spiderman terrible, but terrible.  After you watch it google the Red Letter Media talks about Prometheus - it is nothing but spoilers, so don't do it before you see it...but it is 4 minutes of everything done wrong in the movie...it's better than the movie.

There aren't many movies worthy of the HBO effect these days...not for me anyway.  Scott Pilgrim has been the first in a long time, probably since the mid 90's.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Batman better be awesome.

It won't be.

And while I'm on the subject, just because Heath Ledger was a great actor (was he? really?) and just because he died does not make his chapter in the current Batman series any good. In fact, it was a disjointed buncha junk. And screeching chaos into a camera is not acting.

There. I said it. Yes, I know I'm going to hell.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Still want to see someone do "The Dark Knight Returns" with a 65yo Batman who still chews on nails like Clint Eastwood.  In fact, we might need to get Clint to play Batman to do TDKR convincingly . . . gotta be someone tough enough to beat Superman.

As for Prometheus, I didn't think it was as bad as people are saying.  I enjoyed it.  Yes, it had flaws, the acting was meh, and it was a lot of things we'd seen before.  But at least it was SF.  There are so few these days.  And if you're a sucker for the "Long abandoned space-craft" genre, like I am, it had enough going for it that it was worth the time.  It's main problem is that some of the character motivations are impenetrable -- or so loosely justified it isn't believable.

While I enjoyed the film, reading some of the spoiler-theory sites really enhanced my understanding and appreciation for the story (if not the film).

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xor

It won't be.

And while I'm on the subject, just because Heath Ledger was a great actor (was he? really?) and just because he died does not make his chapter in the current Batman series any good. In fact, it was a disjointed buncha junk. And screeching chaos into a camera is not acting.

There. I said it. Yes, I know I'm going to hell.

Alright, Dr Ebert.

For to please rank all the various Batman movies from best to worst.  I'm interested.

Hoban-Jay

I agree with you Trent.  No one thought anything of Heath Ledger until AFTER he died, then al of a sudden, because he was dead, he's such an amazing actor.  Bull Crapola!!!  He was at best a mediocre actor.  And, as you said Trent, his performance in Batman was most certainly disjointed and uninspired.

xor

I agree with you Trent.  No one thought anything of Heath Ledger until AFTER he died,

If you don't like him, that's fine.  But your statement is untrue and silliness.

====

For his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in Brokeback Mountain, Ledger won the 2005 New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor and the 2006 "Best Actor" award from the Australian Film Institute and was nominated for the 2005 Academy Award for Best Actor[3] as well as the 2006 BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role.[4]