RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Their only redeeming factor is that their name is Dykstra (no joke! Big grin)! back to the topic at hand....guess what flick was on HBO last night? "Slither" Tongue
    Well, I'm only Dykstra by injection... Tongue Slither is friggin' awesome--did you watch?! I'm Bill Pardy... God, just thinking about that film and the extras on the DVD crack me up. And Grant Grant. My brother's name is Grant...guess what I'm gonna send him for his Birthday next month...? Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

yep, i watched it (missed the first 15 minutes or so, but i caught on pretty quickly)...the monster and the wormies were kinda icky for my taste, but the one liners totally made up for that! Big grin Just a fun campy monster flick! Smile
      PWL

Has been

Never rub another man's rhubarb! Big grin

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Never rub another man's rhubarb! Big grin
          Thank you Mr. Napier. Or should I say, Joker!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

PWL

Has been

Thank you Mr. Napier. Or should I say, Joker!
            Hehe...I happened to be watching that and thought it worth repeating. Nice pickup!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Finally got around to seeing Spider-Man 3. It was my first trip to a movie theater since Star Wars III in '05, and I think the first time wifey and I went together to a movie since I don't know when. We saw it on an Imax. This Imax theater was a little different than ones I've been to before in that it was wider and thus had a bit of a wrap-around effect. This resulted in a bit of stretching/distortion at the edges. Bottom line with the Imax thing -- it actually was too big a screen. Never thought I'd hear myself say that. It was hard to keep up with fast moving action sequences. A slower movie like Apollo 13 would be great, as would any of the multitude of nature and space-things they show on Imax screens, where long, slow pull-out shots of gorgeous vistas are rendered at their best. Action movies -- not so much. [SPOILERS] As for the film itself. I thought it was good, not great like the previous two. A bit of villain clutter like the craptucular latter Batman flicks. I mean, you had Sandman, Venom, Harry who turned good again, as well as the goo itself. Plus you had another love interest, Gwen Stacey, as well as MJ. Director Sam Raimi managed to handle it better than most, but it was still a bit much. I got a good laugh out of the "Bad Boy Peter Parker" bit even though it was more silly than cool. I would have liked them to explore the dark side a little more, but these movies have always been light, so I suppose that might have been out of character. I liked it and was glad we saw it, but I hope they stop here and end on a good note. Tobey said he'd be open to another one, but Dunst said she's done, and more importantly Raimi is done as well. Nothing can wreck a good movie series more than a director change *cough* Batman *cough* Joel Schumacher *cough* Angry. Sorry, I've got Bronchitis and have been coughing quite a bit lately. BTW, anyone agree with me that Willem Dafoe is starting to look like a very scary old woman? Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You should see Batman Begins.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You should see Batman Begins.
                  Actually I have and I thought it was awesome. I didn't make the distinction in my post, but when I referred to the "craptacular latter Batman movies," I was only referring to Schumacher's abominations and not Christopher Nolen's excellent film. Here's a recent look at the new Batsuit for next year's The Dark Knight [modified to fix image]

madness baby

My husband and I had an indie movie marathon this weekend for our 1st anniversary. We are all celebrated out from two graduations in the past month and tons of visitors in our apt, so we took the low-key option of just sitting in a movie theater and enjoying no big celebration. We saw "Once" and "Waitress" - both were excellent. I recommend them if you're looking for a good night out this summer! I think Waitress was the funniest and most clever movie I've seen in a long time. It has a real play-like quality and Keri Russell is great. There was a tragedy around the movie--the director, Adrienne Shelly, was murdered last November just before the film was finished. But wow, she made a great film (and acted in it, too)!
                    deb
                      I agree, Waitress is definitely worth seeing - it was just a very well done movie, with well-balanced proportions of humor to pathos. A lot of fun to watch - it was lighthearted without being flaky and dark without being depressing. It does what it set out to do, and that's what makes it such a good movie. I guess I judge movies based on whether they do what they set out to do. I feel like so many movies overreach, try to be deeper or more meaningful than they are and leave you rolling your eyes. Or they just can't really decide what kind of movie it wants to be. It's tough to get that proper balance, but I think Waitress does that very well. I recommend it.

Prophet!

this is what me, my wife and our 2 year old saw last weekend...great movie
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I agree, Waitress is definitely worth seeing - it was just a very well done movie, with well-balanced proportions of humor to pathos. A lot of fun to watch - it was lighthearted without being flaky and dark without being depressing. It does what it set out to do, and that's what makes it such a good movie.
                          That, and Nathan Fillion...I can't wait to see this film. Probably will have to wait for video at this point, though. Wish it would have played a little closer to home. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That, and Nathan Fillion...
                            I knew that was coming! Tongue

madness baby

I agree, Waitress is definitely worth seeing - it was just a very well done movie, with well-balanced proportions of humor to pathos. A lot of fun to watch - it was lighthearted without being flaky and dark without being depressing. It does what it set out to do, and that's what makes it such a good movie. I guess I judge movies based on whether they do what they set out to do. I feel like so many movies overreach, try to be deeper or more meaningful than they are and leave you rolling your eyes. Or they just can't really decide what kind of movie it wants to be. It's tough to get that proper balance, but I think Waitress does that very well. I recommend it.
                              Very well said. I loved how the main actress was having a baby and didn't identify with being a mother at all for nearly all of the movie (until the baby came). I loved that she didn't want a big celebration and she was just an honest, not so-touchy-feely female. Yet, she was still a character the audience could sympathize with. As a woman, I found this character who didn't fit a stereotype really valuable to see, and it was shown very well in the movie. Anyway, that's enough for me. Smile
                              deb
                              PWL

Has been

A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having...