RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

redleaf

We saw Django last weekend. Man I love the music that ends up in his movies.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

AjayMac

Django blew my mind! The acting, the music and the overall story were phenomenal. It's just another great movie from Quentin Tarantino. It may be my favorite movie by him yet . . . I haven't decided.  

________________________________________________________________________________________

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." –Confucius

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I have heard mixed reviews from my movie critic friends, but I really want to see Gangster Squad. It better live up to at least some of the hype for it to have already been deemed "The greatest gangster film of the decade." I mean, we're just two years and one month into the current decade . . . 

________________________________________________________________________________________

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.

As big of a fan as I am of Sean Penn, and, to a much lesser degree, Ryan Gosling, I just can't get excited about Gangster Squad, even before the reviews came out.

About all I know of it is what I get from the trailers, but based on that, can anyone explain to me why this isn't The Untouchables with a much shallower pool of acting (and directing) talent?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

AjayMac

About all I know of it is what I get from the trailers, but based on that, can anyone explain to me why this isn't The Untouchables with a much shallower pool of acting (and directing) talent?

You bring up a good point with The Untouchables.  I plan on going to see it this weekend, so I hope I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. 

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J

Chantilly75

Django blew my mind! The acting, the music and the overall story were phenomenal. It's just another great movie from Quentin Tarantino. It may be my favorite movie by him yet . . . I haven't decided. 

+1. Very entertaining and well made movie.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Menace to Sobriety

If you liked "Slap Shot", check out "Goon". I had never heard of it, but caught it on one of the pay channels this weekend. It just may be the "Les Mis" of hockey flicks. <graphic fight scenes may not be for everyone>

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

AjayMac

It's not in theaters anymore, but I watched The Dark Knight Rises on bluray this weekend, and it has definitely become one of my all-time favorites. Some may argue about plot holes, bad acting or whatever else, but, in my opinion, it may be the best of the trilogy. 

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.

If you liked "Slap Shot", check out "Goon". I had never heard of it, but caught it on one of the pay channels this weekend. It just may be the "Les Mis" of hockey flicks. <graphic fight scenes may not be for everyone>

i found it enjoyable too (maybe Les Mis meets Happy Gilmore?).  didn't realise until the end credits that it was based on a true story.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

bhearn

It's not in theaters anymore, but I watched The Dark Knight Rises on bluray this weekend, and it has definitely become one of my all-time favorites. Some may argue about plot holes, bad acting or whatever else, but, in my opinion, it may be the best of the trilogy. 

Eh, could be, but I really wish Nolan would get back to making interesting movies, like Memento and Insomnia. The superhero genre does not do him justice.

And FWIW, I'll take Burton's Batman over Nolan's.

Eh, could be, but I really wish Nolan would get back to making interesting movies, like Memento and Insomnia. The superhero genre does not do him justice.

And FWIW, I'll take Burton's Batman over Nolan's.

+1 to all.  DH and I recently had a 2 hour discussion about Burton vs Nolan. For some reason he thinks that because Nolan's are more realistic...that automatically equals better; I disagree.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

If you grew up on the Batman of SuperFriends and Adam West then Burton is your man, hands down.

if you grew up on Detective Comics and The Dark Knight of Frank Miller than Nolan makes Burton look like a National Lampoon treatment of Batman.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

AjayMac

If you grew up on the Batman of SuperFriends and Adam West then Burton is your man, hands down.

if you grew up on Detective Comics and The Dark Knight of Frank Miller than Nolan makes Burton look like a National Lampoon treatment of Batman.

I totally agree. But I still like Burton's too; it's like watching a real-life cartoon.

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.

jfa

Did you guys talk already about Life of Pi ?

I thought it was the best 3D movie I ever saw in terms of visuals. The story was cool too.

bhearn

grew up on the Batman of SuperFriends, Adam West, and Detective Comics. Never had any use for Frank Miller's weird version. Adam West's Batman is, of course, it's own thing -- for kids it's Batman; for adults it's actually quite funny, over-the-top camp.

Oh, and no offense to Heath Ledger, but really Nicholson already nailed the Joker.

AjayMac

grew up on the Batman of SuperFriends, Adam West, and Detective Comics. Never had any use for Frank Miller's weird version. Adam West's Batman is, of course, it's own thing -- for kids it's Batman; for adults it's actually quite funny, over-the-top camp.

Oh, and no offense to Heath Ledger, but really Nicholson already nailed the Joker.

Jack Nicholson's Joker was spot-on for the time, but Ledger's was something completely unique. His performance added depth and offered a new take on an established villain.

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.