RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Cool Jump Suit

Ha!  My wife sat through that movie with her mouth draped wide open and shaking her head.

Ted - crude, offensive, childish, predictable...I loved it! (4/5)

So bittersweet,
    This tragedy
    Won't ask for absolution;
    This melody,
    Inside of me,
    Still searches for solution.
    A twist of faith,
    A change of heart
    Cures my infatuation.
    A broken heart, 
    Provides the spark
    For my determination.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Ha!  My wife sat through that movie with her mouth draped wide open and shaking her head.

Question about that movie: I'm a big fan of Kevin Smith movies, at least the ones he made before he got rich.  Crude, offensive, but usually with a thread of emotion woven into them that really pays off in the end (some more than others).

So...is this Ted movie anything like that?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Cool Jump Suit

Definitely crude, and my wife thought offensive.  I guess the emotional thread manifests itself via the fact a main character is a teddy bear. And there's some drama for the bear's safety at the end.

Question about that movie: I'm a big fan of Kevin Smith movies, at least the ones he made before he got rich.  Crude, offensive, but usually with a thread of emotion woven into them that really pays off in the end (some more than others).

So bittersweet,
        This tragedy
        Won't ask for absolution;
        This melody,
        Inside of me,
        Still searches for solution.
        A twist of faith,
        A change of heart
        Cures my infatuation.
        A broken heart, 
        Provides the spark
        For my determination.

I guess the emotional thread manifests itself via the fact a main character is a teddy bear.

yup, Ted & John's Thunder Song was especially emotive.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

SheCan

It wasn't one of his better ones--- Dogma, Zack and Miri--- but was humorously crude...think two dudes grow up, refuse to mature, one of them is a teddy bear.   It wasn't constant laughs, but kept me entertained.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Out with friends, saw Identity Thief tonight.

You know how sometimes, a trailer doesn't do a truly outstanding movie justice?  Well, this is not one of those times.  But...the trailer doesn't upsell it either, so if you found the trailer amusing (I did), you'll probably get a few yuks out of the flick.  I'd never seen the female lead, whose name escapes me for the moment (on the iPad, too much trouble to look it up), before.  She did a good job, IMO, hope to see more of her.

Bonus points for a cameo by Agent John Doggett, which I didn't know would be there.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bonus points for a cameo by Agent John Doggett, which I didn't know would be there.

Funny...a friend of mine JUST met Robert Patrick while he was on a USO tour.  T1000 is probably my least favorite role of his.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'd never seen the female lead, whose name escapes me for the moment (on the iPad, too much trouble to look it up), before.  She did a good job, IMO, hope to see more of her.

Melissa McCarthy? Have you not seen Bridesmaids?? Rent this ASAP!

Plus, I don't quite understand your iPad comment. For me it is too easy to look stuff up, I can never focus on any one thing. Get the IMDB app.

Dave

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

T1000 is probably my least favorite role of his.

Yeah, same here.

DaveP...okay, will do.  I'd heard it was basically "The Hangover for women," and I wasn't THAT big of a Hangover fan.  But on your recommendation...

And what can I say?  It was late.  I was already typing on the iPad, which I hate; didn't want to close out, open the App Store, type in the search, download the app, open it, type in Identity Thief, then come back to Safari.  Easier to just type the parenthetical.

hashtagnotbymuch hashtagfirstworldproblems

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

House of Cards - while not a "movie" -- it is better.  Original mini-series from Netflix of all people.  Incredibly deep cast.  The dialog isn't the West Wing, but then what is (answer: His Girl Friday).  The story follows the house majority whip and his political Machiavellian maneuverings after being jilted for the Chief of Staff position by the current president.  There's a different relationship between him and his wife that is a character all its own.  Only toward the end do they throw in some boilerplate hackneyed character development to "womanize" an otherwise cold character.  And here, I thought because they introduce menopause (which was such a relief to see on screen), I figured we were past the, "what every successful woman really yearns for is just to be a mom" crap.  Other than that misstep, and an over-the-top conversation with two eco-liberals, the show is pretty honest with itself.  The best part is the Shakespearean asides: Kevin Spacey's elevated southern language clues you in on the motif.  Perfectly executed.  Perhaps the best part is the ending, which if they go no further with this miniseries is so satisfying to a literature buff, that I might never go back to the written word again. (5/5)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

A Saucy Wench

Went and saw Warm Bodies last night.  Best description is "Zombie Chic-Flick".  It was worthwhile.  Triumph of the Zombie spirit, which is infinitely more tolerable than a triumph of the human spirit.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Went and saw Warm Bodies last night.  Best description is "Zombie Chic-Flick".  It was worthwhile.  Triumph of the Zombie spirit, which is infinitely more tolerable than a triumph of the human spirit.

We really want to see this one!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

We really want to see this one!

I do, too, but it's definitely a rental.  I'm pretty sure the target audience is teenagers, which means there will be a lot of teenagers in the theater.

DaveP...okay, will do.  I'd heard it was basically "The Hangover for women," and I wasn't THAT big of a Hangover fan.  But on your recommendation...

OK, if you did not like The Hangover, I am not so sure. But I feel much better about giving movie recommendations to random strangers on the interwebs, than to friends. My wife & I loved the movie So I Married an Axe Murderer (Mike Meyers...remember? Anyone? Bueller?) when it first came out. We recommended it to some friends, who to this day nearly 20 years later literally remind us of it every time we see them, and demand we reimburse their ticket cost. What's the worst you could do to me if you don't like Bridesmaids -- give me bad training advice? Good luck with that, the worst advice you could give me would probably be better than my current practices.

Dave

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

OK, if you did not like The Hangover, I am not so sure. But I feel much better about giving movie recommendations to random strangers on the interwebs, than to friends. My wife & I loved the movie So I Married an Axe Murderer (Mike Meyers...remember? Anyone? Bueller?) when it first came out. We recommended it to some friends, who to this day nearly 20 years later literally remind us of it every time we see them, and demand we reimburse their ticket cost. What's the worst you could do to me if you don't like Bridesmaids -- give me bad training advice? Good luck with that, the worst advice you could give me would probably be better than my current practices.

LOL, I loved So I Married An Axe Murderer, and don't understand why it wasn't more popular ("HEED!  PANTS!  NOW!")!  So maybe I'll be okay with Bridesmaids.

It's not so much that I "didn't like" The Hangover, it's just that I didn't think it was the funniest movie in the world like everyone else seemed to.  Though I did like the plot device of them trying to piece together the events of the previous evening from the pictures on the digital camera.