RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Despicable Me - brill.  you can't help but empathize with Gru, his minions & the cookie sellers.  looking forward to this Summer's sequel (4.1/5)

Totally agree!  Fairly predictable plotline, but good comedic timing and the funny take on the day-to-day life of the evil genius made it really enjoyable.  And plus, I feel the same way about Steve Carrell as DaveP feels about Zach Galifikankinicklekiss.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

And plus, I feel the same way about Steve Carrell as DaveP feels about Zach Galifikankinicklekiss.

I am with you on Carell also. Makes me almost want to see that otherwise horrendous looking Burt Wonderstone movie. You would think with the additional presence of Jim Carrey & Steve Buscemi, how could it go wrong. But sometimes they find a way.

Dave

He was also a riot in Due Date, with Robert Downey Jr. It was roughly a remake of Planes, Trains & Automobiles, with Zach G in the John Candy role.

aye, seen Due Date, enjoyable.  didn't quite have the defining Those Aren't Pillows! moment as Planes, Trains & Automobiles though.

I feel the same way about Steve Carrell as DaveP feels about Zach Galifikankinicklekiss.

i don't mind either to be honest, but yup, it was easy to disconnect Carrell being Gru as the voice differed completely from the norm.

mta: Gru not Kru

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

RunJasonRun

Dr. No

From Russia With Love

Goldfinger

My apartment was full of win yesterday.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Today I am going to watch Hancock with Will Smith

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

bhearn

Wow, how cool would that be. I hope you both enjoy it.

Wow, how cool would that be. I hope you both enjoy it.

Bravo, sir.

It almost seems too easy a setup, you jumped on it in exactly 7 minutes.

Dave

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Watched Life of Pi last night.  I never saw it in the theater but I wish I had.  The visuals and cinematography were so awesome.  I haven't read the book but the movie intrigues me enough to go find a copy to read it.

You people have issues 

zonykel

Watched "act of valor" recently. some parts of the movie were good. But for the most part, the script/plot needed much improvement. The non-professional acting by the navy seals was forgivable, but not the storyline. Overall, not recommended.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hitchcock - Anthony Hopkins disappears into the eponymous role.  The movie follows the making of "Psycho", including battles with the film industry who just wanted Hitchcock to make more "North by Northwest" with big-named stars.  Hitchcock, getting a bit old at this point wants to re-invent and challenge himself.  He funds "Psycho" out of his own pocket and puts his estate on the line.  His wife, played by Helen Miren, helps contextualize the man, and frames the film as a husband/wife drama, with a sprinkle of movie making.  The film works and is enjoyable. If you're a fan of Hitchcock's, you'll enjoy the tidbits about the making-of: the shower scene, the battle with the censors about filming a toilet (not someone on one, mind you -- just a toilet).  Fun film.  3/5

Iron Sky - this is a guilty pleasure.  I'm a SF-whore.  I will watch just about anything.  So my expectations were particularly low.  Here's the setup: in 1945 the Nazi's secretly setup a base on the dark-side of the moon.  Are you sold?  The farce continues: a Sarah Palin knock-off is president in 2018.  She sends a black man to the moon to help her next election.  The delight of the film is in the only-slightly updated Nazi aesthetic augmented with science good enough to get them to the moon, but comically compared the iPhone the captured black astronaut gives them.  There are also quite a few smirk-funny jokes and some political satire.  This isn't "Idiocracy" or "Spaceballs" -- it just doesn't go that far.  It's  more like the "Ice Pirates".  A good hearty B-movie.  3/5 (you get what you came for)

Stakeland - Vampires take over the USA.  Nomad vamp-hunter takes on teenage protege.  The emotional depth of relationships in this film might be best characterized as: this is a film about the undead.  Fight scenes are poorly edited.  And probably the only thing of  interest is that a warring religious faction decides to drop-vampires from a helicopter to assault a fortified town.  That was a neat idea.  Otherwise, there isn't anything interesting in this film. 2/5

MTA: grammar/typo

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

zonykel

Stakeland - Vampires take over the USA.  

Vampires, zombies, aliens, etc. can't someone invent something else?

RunJasonRun

I finally went to the theater for the first time in 2013 to see To the Wonder, the new Terrence Malick film starring Ben Affleck, Olga Kurylenko, Rachel McAdams, and Javier Bardem.

Terrence Malick is my favorite current movie director, and his five previous films, Badlands (1973), Days of Heaven (1978), The Thin Red Line (1998), The New World (2005), and The Tree of Life (2011), are all challenging works of cinema that showcase how the beauty of nature is a constant through the various crises of human events. Malick's films are divisive with audiences, because, over the course of his career, Malick has increasingly abandoned traditional narrative structure in favor of stream-of-consciousness images that play out more like symphonies than actual stories.

To the Wonder presents us with a work of fluid motion almost like a ballet, where characters alternately drift closer and farther from one another as the roving camera catches brief, but insightful glimpses at facial expressions and mannerisms. In fact, I realized early in this movie that the actors are really "dancing" on camera instead of acting. Scattered fragments of dialogue and voiceover function like musical instruments all their own. If you found The Thin Red Line, The New World, or The Tree of Life to be boring, or if you were turned off by the reliance of images and voiceovers in these films in lieu of dialogue and narration, then consider yourself warned that To the Wonder strays far outside the realm of conventional dialogue-driven stories and works more like a silent film scored with a symphony orchestra. If you are the sort who likes to stop and appreciate the beauty of random nature scenes or man-made structures, then To the Wonder excels at these explorations. This reliance on vast landscapes appeals to the trail runner in me, I suppose, and I think that this movie just might be a masterpiece.

My broad impression after this first viewing of To the Wonder is of "grace", whether it is the grace of God, the grace of nature, the gracefulness that all humans have within themselves, or the gracefulness of change, whether this change applies to a rising tide over the sand of a French coast, the manipulation of our natural world by way of man's construction, or falling in and out of love.

Olga Kurylenko, whom I consider to be the most beautiful actress today, dances through this movie in with emotional openness that is equally effective through elation or through forlorn sorrow, and, like Audrey Tautou in Amélie, I cannot imagine one not falling in love with her character here. Ben Affleck plays a central role as well, but his character drifts in and out of the camera's peripheral edges as if to avoid committing fully to any given emotion. Rachel McAdams combines fragile beauty with rugged resilience well on its way to a hardened emotional shell. Javier Bardem, in his role as a priest suffering with indecision about his faith, lumbers through scenes with a countenance that seems just as weathered as the poverty-stricken neighborhoods that he passes through during his everyday duties.

This movie may not be for everyone, but I loved it.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

If you found The Thin Red Line, The New World, or The Tree of Life to be boring, or if you were turned off by the reliance of images and voiceovers in these films in lieu of dialogue and narration, then consider yourself warned . . .

Thanks.  Saved me $10.

As for Olga Kurylenko, I'm in total agreement.

Olga

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

GC100k

Cool thread, I just happened upon it.  Maybe I'll pick up suggestions.

I have kids, so if a movie doesn't have talking animals, I haven't seen it.

Actually can't remember the last time I saw a movie, either in a theater or at home, so I can't contribute much, but I'll lurk.

bhearn

If anyone else sees Trance and wants to talk about the ending, message me. Best not to spoil it here.